Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 64

Author Topic: Beginner Mafia 2: BYOR Edition - Game Over!  (Read 34872 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner Mafia 2: BYOR Edition - Day 1: Bwuk Bwuk Little Chickens
« Reply #120 on: July 10, 2022, 11:05:20 pm »

Why on yourself instead of on someone else, why immediately, and so on.
I've seen the power of conftown. I've even BEEN the power of conftown before. I like being conftown. I guess I could let someone else have the fun, but I've got a pretty high self-opinion with respect to my own value. And when it comes to public information like that, the sooner the better.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 10, 2022, 11:05:32 pm »

Town is precisely this defensive, dummy. Besides, you haven't seen my previous games as scum but I'm definitely not bold enough to go straight for a claim like that.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 10, 2022, 11:06:28 pm »

I'm definitely not bold enough to go straight for a claim like that.
...I don't currently think you're scum but I don't actually believe this.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 10, 2022, 11:07:32 pm »

Egan - I don't know about your mafia play, but you do seem quite bold when I play with you in the RTD section though. Why would you not be bold here when you are bold there?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 10, 2022, 11:07:42 pm »

Town is precisely this defensive, dummy. Besides, you haven't seen my previous games as scum but I'm definitely not bold enough to go straight for a claim like that.
But what's the ideal state of town? Defensive, or offensive?
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 10, 2022, 11:07:50 pm »

Sorry, I still don't understand what you're asking.  If your asking about my methodology I'm not certain I can so succinctly summarize it?
I'm fine reading an essay about it if you need to go that far.
I'd really rather you narrow down the question, rather than me having to write an essay.

And that response is a pretty safe response if -you- were mafia, to be honest.  Safe, but not optimal.  My vote stays.  Town would be less defensive.
What makes it safe?
The deflection.  You're trying to turn my gut feeling back on me.  Which would be more valid if I wasn't the sole vote on you.  I think you jumped the gun. 

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 10, 2022, 11:10:45 pm »

Egan - I don't know about your mafia play, but you do seem quite bold when I play with you in the RTD section though. Why would you not be bold here when you are bold there?
I'm not very comfortable lying, it's a different thing to roleplay as an axe-wielding lunatic and actually manage all of this social nonsense.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 10, 2022, 11:11:11 pm »

Why on yourself instead of on someone else, why immediately, and so on.
I've seen the power of conftown. I've even BEEN the power of conftown before. I like being conftown. I guess I could let someone else have the fun, but I've got a pretty high self-opinion with respect to my own value. And when it comes to public information like that, the sooner the better.
Interesting. If you had a 1-shot, must-use-right-now, day ability that forced the target to announce their own alignment within their next post, who would you use it on, and why?

alternately: if you were picking for someone else, instead of yourself, is there any player here that you think should not use the one-shot-public-day-inspect on themselves if they're the one with the ability?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 10, 2022, 11:11:56 pm »

Sorry Fallacy, thought you were Egan.  That's what I get for posting shitfaced.

My point still stands, though.  Town doesn't get defensive from one vote.  Scum might.  I still don't like Egan_BW's reaction.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 10, 2022, 11:13:29 pm »

I'd really rather you narrow down the question, rather than me having to write an essay.
That's fair. Let's separate it out, then.

As town, how do you determine who is town?

As town, how do you determine who is scum?

As scum, how do you determine the greatest threat to your team?

As either alignment, how do you determine who can be made less of a priority?

I'm not very comfortable lying, it's a different thing to roleplay as an axe-wielding lunatic and actually manage all of this social nonsense.
Welcome to the Mafia boards. Two of us are out to get you. I promise I'm not, though, unless you're actually scum, which you're not.

The deflection.  You're trying to turn my gut feeling back on me.  Which would be more valid if I wasn't the sole vote on you.  I think you jumped the gun. 
Isn't it too obvious to be safe?
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 10, 2022, 11:17:09 pm »

Well, what I was really going for was to find someone to attack. I recall hearing that picking at whoever votes for you is an acceptable beginner strategy, so I went for that. Shakerag doesn't seem scummy to me at this point, but it doesn't really matter so much as that I got them to say some stuff and hopefully that helps people with more developed instincts than me.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 10, 2022, 11:18:37 pm »

Well, what I was really going for was to find someone to attack. I recall hearing that picking at whoever votes for you is an acceptable beginner strategy, so I went for that. Shakerag doesn't seem scummy to me at this point, but it doesn't really matter so much as that I got them to say some stuff and hopefully that helps people with more developed instincts than me.
Pretty sure you're acting deliberately scummy as a gambit to see who takes you as an easy target.

Like you know, Shakerag.
Generic Arms Race.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 10, 2022, 11:20:55 pm »

Okay, these are not necessarily fair questions but I'll give it a shot. 

That's fair. Let's separate it out, then.

As town, how do you determine who is town?

Generally activity, but night actions help. 

As town, how do you determine who is scum?

Voting patterns, contradictions, and honestly gut feelings.  This is a game about trying to lie and not be caught, which is not the easiest thing to determine after all.

As scum, how do you determine the greatest threat to your team?
Activity.  Active scum-hunters are always a huge threat.  Killing the most active players, while kind of a dick move, is still optimal for scum.

As either alignment, how do you determine who can be made less of a priority?
That depends on the team.  See the above responses.

Isn't it too obvious to be safe?
No.  Egan_BW could easily be scum and making mistakes.  And you could be chainsawing for him. 

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 10, 2022, 11:21:44 pm »

To be fair, prompting conversation on D1 is priority.  The worst thing you can do on D1 is do nothing.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 10, 2022, 11:22:24 pm »

alternately: if you were picking for someone else, instead of yourself, is there any player here that you think should not use the one-shot-public-day-inspect on themselves if they're the one with the ability?
"should" from my perspective or the player's? From the player's perspective, whoever's scum shouldn't. :P

Knightwing shouldn't. Egan, maybe. TricMagic shouldn't, but would anyway. These are all players who could credibly claim to be town while using it on someone who would be able to support the inspecting player's claim.

Interesting. If you had a 1-shot, must-use-right-now, day ability that forced the target to announce their own alignment within their next post, who would you use it on, and why?
Probably TricMagic. He likes to have to tell the truth. More seriously - though that really would be my first impulse - it would probably have to be between Shakerag and Egan. Not specifically because of their spat right now, though, but that does make it even more potentially useful!
Not Fallacy, though.

STOP POSTING WHILE I'M TRYING TO POST
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 64