Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 64

Author Topic: Beginner Mafia 2: BYOR Edition - Game Over!  (Read 34898 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner Mafia 2: BYOR Edition - Day 1: Bwuk Bwuk Little Chickens
« Reply #135 on: July 10, 2022, 11:23:15 pm »

No.  Egan_BW could easily be scum and making mistakes.  And you could be chainsawing for him. 

Assuming that I'm making mistakes, which I clearly am, does this indicate my alignment?
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 10, 2022, 11:23:31 pm »

By the way: there's probably one scum among Fallacy, Shakerag, Egan.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 10, 2022, 11:24:42 pm »

STOP POSTING WHILE I'M TRYING TO POST
I refuse.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 10, 2022, 11:25:42 pm »

]I don't like this question either. Assuming it can self-target, immediately, on myself.

To be fair, that's a stupid decision.  If you openly confirm yourself as town you just painted a huge target on your ass to get NK'd.  And if you didn't die during the night then town needs to worry about if there is a doctor or if you're a godfather.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 10, 2022, 11:27:40 pm »

Personally I'd hold that kind of ability until D3 or something.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 10, 2022, 11:29:09 pm »

I agree. It's Shakerag. 80%.

To be fair, that's a stupid decision.  If you openly confirm yourself as town you just painted a huge target on your ass to get NK'd.  And if you didn't die during the night then town needs to worry about if there is a doctor or if you're a godfather.
Is there any reason the scum wouldn't immediately nightkill a confirmed town player? Assume there's no cult and they're not about to self-destruct.

STOP POSTING WHILE I'M TRYING TO POST
I refuse.
Lol sorry. It's the opening hours of Day 1, of course we're active as heckaroni.

To be fair, prompting conversation on D1 is priority.  The worst thing you can do on D1 is do nothing.
Absolutely true. But this is true for all alignments.

Sorry Fallacy, thought you were Egan.  That's what I get for posting shitfaced.
It's an understandable mistake. I thought TricMagic was EuchreJack.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 10, 2022, 11:32:34 pm »

Is there any reason the scum wouldn't immediately nightkill a confirmed town player? Assume there's no cult and they're not about to self-destruct.

That's just WIFOM.  Most of the time I would think it would be in scum's best interest to kill a confirmed town, unless they want to pull some kind of gambit (say if that player wasn't otherwise trusted).

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 10, 2022, 11:34:29 pm »

That's just WIFOM.  Most of the time I would think it would be in scum's best interest to kill a confirmed town, unless they want to pull some kind of gambit (say if that player wasn't otherwise trusted).

To add on to that, I'd be suspicious if one or two people suddenly ganged up on said "confirmed town" in such a scenario.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 10, 2022, 11:36:26 pm »

To add on to that, I'd be suspicious if one or two people suddenly ganged up on said "confirmed town" in such a scenario.

Adding on to -that-, it would ultimately depend on how many players are left and what roleclaims they have as well.  There really aren't hard and fast rules in mafia; there is so so so much that is situational.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 10, 2022, 11:41:20 pm »

Adding on to -that-, it would ultimately depend on how many players are left and what roleclaims they have as well.  There really aren't hard and fast rules in mafia; there is so so so much that is situational.
If you ask me, the mafia, even if they manage to play aggressively, are all about looking for opportunities - times to strike and players to pounce on. Attacking vulnerabilities. Ambush predators. Town players try to focus more on narrowing things down.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 10, 2022, 11:46:43 pm »

If you ask me, the mafia, even if they manage to play aggressively, are all about looking for opportunities - times to strike and players to pounce on. Attacking vulnerabilities. Ambush predators. Town players try to focus more on narrowing things down.

Honestly, not a bad assessment.  But then the best scum players will make sure that they do not appear to be looking for opportunities as well.  And novice town thinking that they are scumhunting could be pegged as town.  It can be hard to discern which is which. 

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 10, 2022, 11:50:19 pm »

Shakerag - In my experience, you are more excited the more disruptive your role is. You appear to be very excited. How disruptive do you plan on being this game?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 10, 2022, 11:51:34 pm »

Honestly, not a bad assessment.  But then the best scum players will make sure that they do not appear to be looking for opportunities as well.  And novice town thinking that they are scumhunting could be pegged as town.  It can be hard to discern which is which.
At the very least new players are typically easier to read. Hence my 'examine Jack/Tric' strategy.

Of course the scum want to appear town. That's their job, their goal. Newer scum players will act uncertain, or chaotic. Moderately experienced scum players will be opportunistic. The best... The most experienced scum players will be inscrutable. More or less.
Generic Arms Race.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 11, 2022, 12:04:44 am »

Web - It seems like LurkerTracker died while I was away. Is there a replacement ISO tool to help compile each player's posts individually for analysis?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 11, 2022, 12:38:57 am »

Max - I really dislike this post. It looks to me like setup to attempt to say X was town, so Y should be scum, later on down the line. And in the short term you're basically just egging them on to infight, without getting yourself bogged down by taking an actual position on who is scum. I really just do not see how, be you right or wrong, you are helping anyone but the mafia here. I'm only using FoS because Tric (who my vote is currently on) has yet to post since game start, the moment that Tric shows up, you can expect to see your name in red over this post if something doesn't change. Justify yourself please.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 64