Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: look at that steam sales rank!  (Read 1965 times)

thrillho

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
look at that steam sales rank!
« on: December 09, 2022, 02:47:29 pm »

The Steam sales are apparently beyond my wildest expectations... and I am absolutely thrilled!  So, are Tarn and Zach stupid rich now?? [please say yes! It would give me the warmest, fuzziest feeling if people like them get a dumptruck full of money]

As of this posting, DF is bouncing around the top two slots here: https://store.steampowered.com/search/?filter=topsellers

Sarai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: look at that steam sales rank!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2022, 11:45:47 pm »

This is just so wonderful to see. I'm fairly certain the first day's sales already got Tarn and Zach over a million dollars after Steam's and Kitfox's cuts (based on the tweet about surpassing 160,000 units in under 24 hours), and the fact that it's still so high on the list bodes very well for their financial situation going forward. I really hope it relieves a lot of the anxiety and uncertainty they've been facing recently, it's very much deserved.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2022, 12:12:51 am »

160,000 units!  Let’s see…

160,000 units * $29.99 (Steam price) = $4,798,400

Subtract 30% (Steam’s cut, iirc)…

That leaves $3,358,880 before taxes, etc.

Doesn’t some of that have to go to KitFox & co?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2022, 12:18:10 am »

Yeah, I think they had an arrangement where Kitfox gets 80% until production costs are met (I can't recall the figure but something like $100k) and then after that Tarn/Zach get something like 80%. The numbers are all horribly fudged here.

Sarai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2022, 12:20:14 am »

Yes, but we don't have any hard numbers. And of course income taxes and such, so my estimate is probably not more than around the $1 million mark. Still, that's in just one day, and they did say "more than" 160,000 units. That number was specified because it was Kitfox's estimate of two months of sales! It's been blown out of the water by a long shot, for sure. I hope we get some official sales numbers at some point, they deserve to brag a little.

thrillho

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2022, 07:28:29 am »

The *also* deserve some financial privacy... I almost didn't make the OP for that reason. I posted before the 160,000 in <24 hours figure came out, so I had no idea what "top ranked in steam sales" actually meant.

I kinda wanna fix the broken payment method for my patreon sub and turn that back on, because I have a message to send to those boys, and $30 ain't the half of it!

I do wish I hadn't been a cheap grad student at the time and had donated when I could've gotten a crayon drawing in thanks--but I'm also glad those days are over :)

edit: also, I hope however much money it is, it allows them to *relax* once the immediate hotfixes are done--not feel tons of pressure now that they have so many paid customers!!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 07:34:04 am by thrillho »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2022, 08:40:25 am »

Kitfox's community manager mentioned that they would be putting some financials up for the sake of being transparent later, but I am pretty much assuming that the numbers the brothers typically post in their monthly reports also is not after tax, then its split between two people, so it wasn't a whole lot of money despite it being a respectable amount.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2022, 12:08:39 am »

Kitfox's community manager mentioned that they would be putting some financials up for the sake of being transparent later, but I am pretty much assuming that the numbers the brothers typically post in their monthly reports also is not after tax, then its split between two people, so it wasn't a whole lot of money despite it being a respectable amount.

I'd be interested in the source for that if you remember where it was posted.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2022, 03:44:14 am »

I'm a simple dorf enthusiast, if the bros are happy, I'm happy because I want them to be happy

after all these years it's not a matter of dev-players relationship anymore, I feel like they are family
http://dwarffortressitalia.tumblr.com/

Italian blog about Dwarf Fortress

Il primo blog italiano su Dwarf Fortress

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2022, 04:54:47 am »

Alexandra Orlando mentioned it in episode 4 of the beginner friendly dwarf fortress streams. I'm at work right now but I don't mind digging up a timestamp for it later

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2022, 09:14:58 am »

Steamspy says 500.000 - 1.000.000 owners. I wonder how relatable is this data

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2022, 11:13:16 am »

Alexandra Orlando mentioned it in episode 4 of the beginner friendly dwarf fortress streams. I'm at work right now but I don't mind digging up a timestamp for it later

And here we go https://youtu.be/GjT813HNX5g?t=3298

Link above is timestamped but at 55:00 this is discussed

Sarai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2022, 03:37:09 pm »

And here we go https://youtu.be/GjT813HNX5g?t=3298

Yeah that's fair but what if I want it NAO?? /s

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2022, 01:24:37 pm »

I guess the next version of DF will be released live at a show in Vegas, with Toady and Tarn arriving in a pink limo dressed in fur coats and jewels with their huge entourage of strippers and homies.

thrillho

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2022, 07:23:40 pm »

I guess the next version of DF will be released live at a show in Vegas, with Toady and Tarn arriving in a pink limo dressed in fur coats and jewels with their huge entourage of strippers and homies.

That we should be so lucky. I would gladly Socialize! in vegas with you lunatics
Pages: [1] 2