Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Patches to creatures don't seem to propagate to variations.  (Read 272 times)

PetMudstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Damned Fool
    • View Profile
Patches to creatures don't seem to propagate to variations.
« on: January 08, 2023, 03:57:39 am »

While messing around with the new [SELECT_CREATURE] token, I noticed that changes I made to creatures didn't carry over to variations of these creatures.

For example, I had given bark scorpions mouths alongside a bite attack. I then went to give the bark scorpion man a creature variation token that also gave it a bite attack. When I briefly made a world with my mod to test though, I noticed that errorlog.txt said that the mouth attack couldn't be applied cuz there was no valid body part.

I'm not able to definitively see cuz of the lack of the Object Testing Arena, but I would assume this is because the bark scorpion man lacks a mouth. My guess this is because changes done vi [SELECT_CREATURE] are applied after creature variations are all applied.

This means that the bark scorpion man doesn't get the mouth because ya know, the bark scorpion it inherits tags from doesn't have one at the time. When I give the bark scorpion the mouth via a patch, the bark scorpion man has already run all its variation stuff and so won't inherit the mouth.

While I could work around all this by selecting the creature variations and giving them all the new tokens I gave to their parents, this would be very tedious. And I wouldn't know how to cleanly work with giving new body parts to animal men due to all the tag conversion going on.