Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Berâm (Earthspeaks): Out-hugging the Tree-huggers  (Read 1413 times)

DrWenn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Berâm (Earthspeaks): Out-hugging the Tree-huggers
« on: March 13, 2023, 03:33:23 pm »

It began, as most good stories do, with a drunken bet. Iden and Ushat were arguing, as always. I mean the two are as thick as thieves, but they will argue about literally anything. Bronze versus lay pewter. War hammers versus spears. Llamas versus alpacas. This time, it was about elves. Not whether they were good or bad, to be clear. We were all in agreement that elves were the worst. No, this argument was about *why* they were so terrible.

Iden maintained that it was the wood thing. "They refuse to share their fancy techniques for harvesting living wood, and then they get angry when their neighbors have to cut down trees!"

For Ushat, it was the meat thing. "I mean sure, that's terrible, but that's not the worst thing about them. They won't eat normal meat, like llama or steelhead or giant cave rat, but they're happy to chow down on the bodies of their enemies after battles. If you're gonna be a vegetarian, be a vegetarian! Some of my best friends are Lenshamites! None of this back and forth crap."

This went on for a while, the two yelling and spilling wheat bear and cherry wine as they gesticulated wildly. And then Udil got involved, which is never a good sign for anyone. I'm pretty sure Udil hates the elves as much as any dwarf. Yes, she follows Lensham Snarlingdawn, as do I, but counter to popular belief, the Lenshamite religion is not based on elven ideology. Yes, Lenshamites are vegetarian, and yes, we love to commune with the natural world, but it's not an elf thing. We'll happily chop down a tree if we can plant another one in its place, and the cannibalism thing? Ugh.

Anyway, I'm getting distracted. My point is that Udil does not have any special love for the elven race. And yet, she just can't resist sowing chaos. "Ha! I bet neither of you could last a month without eating meat."

And that's all it took. She didn't even have to set any stakes. Just the idea that there was something Ushat and Iden couldn't do was enough to set them off. One month and an astonishing quantity of alpaca cheese later, and they were still avoiding meat. Neither one wanted to be the first one to cave in. After a while, they weren't talking about besting each other anymore. They were talking about besting the elves at their own game.

The plans for an expedition started off almost as a joke (which is the other way good stories begin). They could find a spot near an elven settlement. Someplace with good soil, plenty of ore, and maybe even some clay and sand. They could bring a few sheep for milk and wool and set up a bunch of subterranean farms. Almost everything a dwarf needs is there, underground. What do we need wood for anyway?

Who needs wooden cups, chairs, and chests when you've got metal goblets, stone thrones, and  glass boxes!

Fuel? Dig up some bituminous coal and lignite! Or better yet, just drill straight down to the magma seas below!

Beds? Well, okay, *some* things need to be made from wood. It's not like we could make a *bed* out of rocks. We're not savages, after all! But we could trade with the elves for that.

It was an intriguing challenge, and soon, they got Udil and me making plans too.  We'd need to dig deep and fast to get to the magma sea, so that we could make things like metal bins and armor. But we'd need a temporary settlement near the surface for that first year or two. And boy, that first year would be pretty rough. Until we could trade for grown wood, there are certain things we'd just have to do without.

Would it count as cheating if we could make a few beds out of the wagon we already had? "No," Ushat declared, "the trees are already dead, so we might as well make use of their 'sacrifice'."

I almost couldn't hear the scare quotes...

Pretty soon, we were actually buying supplies for an expedition, with Ushat at the lead.

Everyone who wanted to come with had to sign The Simple Treaty, which was true to its name. There were only three rules:

1) No killing animals that haven't attacked us.
2) No chopping down trees. (Woody fungi count as trees.)
3) No purchasing or bartering for products that were produced by killing animals or cutting down trees.

We recruited a few more Lenshamites, most of who were happy to keep being vegetarian, though they thought the wood thing was weird. Oh, and Cilob. I'm still not sure why she came a long. Not that I'm complaining! We definitely need her farming skills.

So, migrants, if Earthspeaks is the fortress you've decided to make your home, you'll have to sign on to the Simple Treaty. By sheer dwarven stubbornness, we will out-hug the tree-huggers, we will out-love the animal-lovers, we will out-elf the elves!

--------

Right, so I know there's a vegan succession fort (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=181079.75) on this forum already, but I'd already started this fort when I saw that, and this is a little different (no wood!), so I'm going to try it anyway.

After I ended up playing my first fort (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=181220.0) so conservatively as to not have much "fun", I decided I needed a bigger challenge. So I made a new world without quite as many resources in it and set myself this absurd challenge.

I strongly suspect that my dwarves will mutiny long before we get a chance to get enough grown woods to provide everyone with beds, and getting the magma smelters up quickly is going to be tough.

But dwarves are stubborn, so who knows!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 09:08:58 am by DrWenn »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Berâm (Earthspeaks): Out-hugging the Tree-huggers
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023, 05:36:16 pm »

a challenge, indeed - but will you trade for wood from the elves?

DrWenn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2023, 08:19:18 pm »

a challenge, indeed - but will you trade for wood from the elves?

Yeah, otherwise there won't be any beds.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2023, 10:48:06 pm »

No wood will certainly avoid the issues plaguing Greenfingers now. Best of luck to Earthspeaks!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2023, 03:01:27 am »

This sounds like it'll be an interesting fort, gonna be keeping an eye on this one.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2023, 06:50:26 am »

Dwarf me! Can't take a turn, at least not right now, but will be watching.

Speaking of full veganism - elves don't bring wood all that often. Would you consider demanding tributes from some elven retreats to improve the chances?

DrWenn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2023, 05:33:08 pm »

Smug tree-hugging hippies. We didn't do it for your praise!

Haven't really felt up to doing a proper write-up on Earthspeaks lately, but we're humming along nicely. There have been four big problems that I didn't properly plan ahead for:

• Training war animals
    • Most war animals are obligate carnivores, so of course we need meat to train them. It's the natural way of things for predators to eat prey, so it's allowed. We just have to remember to keep the meat on hand and never use it for cooking.
  • Fire Imps
    • We dug straight down to get to the magma sea as fast as possible. In my last fort, by the time we got to the magma sea, we had a robust military in full steel armor that could handle a fire imp very quickly. This time, we've had two fire imp encounters, each taking out 5-10 dwarves before getting killed or running back into the magma sea. There's just too much industry in the room with all the magma furnaces, forges, kilns, etc., and the room is often full of dwarves who are not ready to be set on fire.
    • I'm planning an emergency fire suppression system that I hope will be able to douse any future fire imps before they can do too much damage.
  • No bituminous coal or lignite
    • I spent a lot of time digging through the sedimentary layers searching for some natural fuel sources other than burning logs, and I found jack squat. I never realized that it was even possible to have an embark without them.
    • There's really no good solution. I need all the grown trees for beds, so I can't be burning them for fuel, and I can't make steel without it. So I'll probably end up trading for steel or for coke.
  • Strange moods
    • As soon as we had our first strange mood, I realized my mistake. I need to always keep a few logs around, as well as some bones (easy to come by as animals sometimes die naturally or after attacking us), and most horrifyingly of all, leather.
    • We've decided to keep some leather around just in case a dwarf needs it, but we're not proud of it. The produced artifacts go immediately into a sealed vault where no one can see our shame.
    • Even with these decisions, we've lost three dwarves to insanity when we couldn't get them enough of what they wanted in time.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2023, 07:15:38 pm »

I spent a lot of time digging through the sedimentary layers searching for some natural fuel sources other than burning logs, and I found jack squat. I never realized that it was even possible to have an embark without them.

did you play 47.05 or before? natural sources of coke were even more rare. The premium version appears to have simplified / gamified the geology and you find bit coal and iron on nearly every map now, at least at default resource settings. so yeah, surprising not find any.
This time, we've had two fire imp encounters, each taking out 5-10 dwarves before getting killed or running back into the magma sea.

imps with their dwarf-melting fireballs and general fearful disposition (meaning they kite your military) are an understated threat.

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2023, 02:06:21 am »

I think you can order bituminous coal from the traders.

DrWenn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2023, 04:12:24 pm »

Things have happened. Still not feeling up to any in-character write-ups, which is sad. That's my favorite part of the game. But I'm not gonna force it.

Anyway, we're into year 4, and there's plenty of news. Let's play a little good-news/bad-news!

Good News

Despite the lack of fuel to be dug up, our embark spot has turned out to be pretty great. There are literally dozens of friendly human and elven settlements less than a day's travel away, and the nearest goblins are 2 days' travel away. We still haven't had a single goblin siege.

That means we get trade caravans 4 or 5 times every year. We've almost got enough grown wood to make beds for everyone!

Bad News

Apparently, the carts can't reach us in the middle of the forest, and of course, we can't chop down any trees to make a road for them...

Good News

But we've dug a tunnel system out to both the northern and southern edges of the forest. Getting in shouldn't be a problem anymore.

Bad News?

We've elected a mayor, Ast Inkyhailed... who is a necromancer.

She doesn't seem to have much desire in doing anything creepy yet. She seems to act like any other mayor, outlawing the export of chests and coffers. And honestly, I don't think anyone had any plans on selling those anyway. She didn't even demand we make her a tomb!

And apparently she makes a really good cheese.

Good News?

We've been declared a county now! Which is good, I guess? Honestly, it'd be nice to settle down for a bit and pretty up the place before we get a huge influx of more migrants. And Countess Såkzul Boltssevere keeps demanding we give her better stuff in her rooms. The original plan was to make a bunch of gold furniture, but...

Bad News

We seem to have run out of gold. There appeared to be lots of native gold at first, but now it's all tetrahedrite and magnetite (and a little sphalerite).

Good News

We finished construction on the mist generator for the tavern/temple!

Bad News

We've almost flooded the tavern nearly half a dozen times working on the drainage system. It does drain now, but unfortunately, it doesn't drain fast enough to keep from getting water and mud everywhere first.

Good News

The fire suppression system for the magma furnaces is complete!

Bad News... Yeah. Definitely Bad News.

We've had a few Forgotten Beasts, but they've either been easy to handle (even for our pretty sad military) or they've been in the caverns we aren't farming in. A nasty flying one with webs just showed up, but again, not in the caverns we were using, so I instead focused on the elven caravan that just showed up.

Apparently, someone forgot to lock the hatch to the second cavern layer.

10 dwarfs died before I could even hit pause. And 33 more died before the military could take it down. We're struggling to get tombs up as fast as we can, but the bodies are starting to stink.

Good News

We now have more than enough beds for everyone.

Bad News

They took out the chief medical dwarf and our primary doctor.

Good News?

The mayor seems to have been elsewhere, and so she didn't flip out and turn a third of the fort into zombies.

Which brings me to our final Bad News...

you... you... You sanctimonious, pointy-eared, stone-forsaken, sun-worshipping, tree-#$!%ing skinny little $&*#s!

« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 09:39:02 pm by DrWenn »

DrWenn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2023, 09:49:52 pm »

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention. The forgotten beast was named Usu Bloatedmange the Dung Mold.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2023, 01:34:37 am »

Seems like things start going bad much quicker in these Vegan fortresses than regular ones, I wonder why that is?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

DrWenn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2023, 09:16:41 pm »

A few small updates:

Polar Bear People are obligate carnivores. They should not be allowed to reside in the fortress. Definitely learned that one the hard way. Had to expel an otherwise lovely resident before she starved to death.

The fire suppression system works fantastically against fire crabs, and I got the measurements just right to not cause any damage to the dwarfs. Unfortunately, the water drips down into the magma sea, immediately plugging up the source of magma. Several forges/kilns have to be deconstructed and rebuilt every time I use the system. Sadly, the last time I used them, a fey mood dwarf had claimed one of the magma forges and he instantly (but fortunately quietly) went insane. This isn't as bad as it sounds because he'd been there for a while, and I couldn't quite figure out what he wanted that we didn't have.

We're now a  duchy. I've been struggling to get the duchess' rooms up to her exacting standards, but seeing as we haven't found any more native gold, it's been tricky to get enough valuables in there. I've had to resort to putting artifacts on pedestals behind gem windows to try and increase the value of the rooms. (I understand that this means the dwarfs technically won't appreciate them, but I presume she knows they're there, and I suspect her demands for fancier rooms have less to do with enjoyment and more to do with greed.)

It's also been similarly difficult to get the guildhalls and temples up to the desired values. I had lovely plans for laying them out in interesting and aesthetically pleasing ways, but I've ended up just bloating them up to as big as will fit and detailing every accessible surface in an only occasionally successful attempt to satisfy the vain dwarfs who asked for them.

Miraculously, we have yet to be attacked by goblins or underground invaders. When we broke into the third cavern layer, we managed to find ourselves on an island in a huge underground lake, and most of the creatures (crundles mostly) spawn outside the lake, and so we've been able to set up some farms there that have gone mostly unmolested except for a couple forgotten beasts.

We get tons of trading caravans from neighboring elven and human civilizations (as well as the annual caravan from home), but many have reported not being able to reach us in the middle of the forest. We now have a moderately extensive set of underground roads leading from the edges of the maps to our trading post. I don't think any of the roads have actually been tested yet one way or the other yet. Occasionally we'll get a new caravan where the wagons turn away, but it's always from a different civilization popping up in a different edge of the map. I think we're coming up on the year anniversary (I wasn't keeping track) of the first caravan that had to turn back, so hopefully we'll soon learn how that will go.

The elves are still complaining that we are cutting down trees, and I think I've finally figured out what the issue is. I suspect that when I started laying the underground roads, I ended up paving over or digging under some saplings. Perhaps those were counted. I definitely haven't chopped any trees down, and I'm reasonably certain that there haven't been any mining accidents causing trees to be collapsed from underneath or crushed from above.

The mist generator took me forever to get working because some idiot kept screwing things up, putting drainage fortifications in the wrong place, flooding the waterways *before* properly linking the floodgates at the end, and accidentally digging to close to the waterways, causing leaks. I can't say that I finally got it *right*, but the last mistake accidentally caused the system to essentially get stuck in the "on" position. Fortunately, the rest of the system finally had been placed properly, and we now have a functional, but not easily shut-off-able mist generator between the temples, the tavern, and the guildhalls. I guess it'll just run until I've drained the first cavern's underground lake or something goes horribly wrong fun.

The tavern and temple are still covered with mud, and sadly nobody seems inclined to clean them up.