Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Wild Spirits: a Game for [Seven] to More Players of Ages One Million and Up  (Read 1455 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

999,99 miles and a day.
A yeah, a decade, a century, a millennia.
For the birth of the universe, unit the comet arrived.
Burning, melting, a stone stripped away of color.
Long has it travelled, only for it to end here...

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile

a single grain of sand
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile

Falling.
Sinking.
Crashing.
Drowning.
A vessel lies wrecked at the bottom of the water.
Midnight Blue.
There was a boat, yes, I remember. Dreadful story. Remind me, what was it carrying?
A knife.
Black as night.
Changed hands a thousand thousand times.
Took a life for every year.
The blood and soul fed the earth.
The Red gave birth.

The knife, yes, I can picture it now, black stained with rust; tell me, how strong was the man it last cut?
A captured jewel.
Finest preparation for finest crystal.
Amethyst bound in platinum thread.
Deep purple reflecting ageless silver.
A great and beautiful lie.
A secret history, forgotten by all but those who wish to forget.
Sorrow. Anguish. Loss. Pain.
Memories within memories. Time within time.
Lies supporting lies supporting truth supporting lies.
It is not what it is.
I do not know you.
I do not know me.
I do not know
I do not
do not
not

and yet
Do I?
Am I?
I am.
I haven't been.
Memories not my own. Lies upon lies.
A false and beautiful past.

Yes, I saw it once, the glittering jewel hung in its prison. What was the rank of the one at whose throat it lay buried?
A coin from a once-proud empire, untarnished but forgotten all the same.
Of course, I would never forget a coin, but how was it last spent?
The first pointy stick that was used as a spear, long ago rotted into nothing but a memory.
The faintest shadow between layers of stone, perhaps, where a stick had been. I wonder, how old was the hand that held it, all those years ago?
999,99 miles and a day.
A yeah, a decade, a century, a millennia.
For the birth of the universe, unit the comet arrived.
Burning, melting, a stone stripped away of color.
Long has it travelled, only for it to end here...
A colour out of space, the sky-rock streaked down; I watched it fall. Might I ask whose home it struck?
a single grain of sand
Without hue, we cannot truly exist. Please, let us see how shines the blaze of your clarity.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile

white. like this.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A grain of white coral sand completes the set nicely, I think. How deep was the sea on whose shores it was washed?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile

Big enough for one or two crabs to lounge around in.

There was a bigger sea nearby, but this is the one you asked about...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 11:09:51 pm by Egan_BW »
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

VermilionSkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

People.
We were the last ship carrying refugees.
The others sunk before us.

Or simply knew better.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile

He was a man growing his first grey hairs, middle aged for his primitive species. He was searching for a way to compete with the youth who grew stronger than him every day.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

A coin from a once-proud empire, untarnished but forgotten all the same.
Of course, I would never forget a coin, but how was it last spent?
Fine jewelry. Perhaps not the most pragmatic purchase, given the state of things, but perhaps that explains the state of things.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Strif3

• Bay Watcher
  • The vulture on your shoulder
    • View Profile

A working man.
On the fields—days upon days.
At light's end—a day turned too long.
Evil came at twilight—clad in black robes.
And the father's life left his eyes—as the knife drew blood.
Last of three souls—given to oblivion that night.
Lay atop a pile of unnumbered more.
Freedom is not a spectrum.
Put me in chains, or stop telling me what to do.

S1lentWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • S1lently Wandering
    • View Profile

Yes, I saw it once, the glittering jewel hung in its prison. What was the rank of the one at whose throat it lay buried?

It was buried at the throat of a liar.
A man of low status play-acting in the higher ranks
His bloodline is false. His status was false.
Lies beget lies beget lies.
He died unsure if his lies had meaning.
Unsure if his sons gained the life he wished he had.
A beautiful gem, adorning the corpse of a liar.
A pauper to a pauper's grave.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A city bustling, roads overlooking.
A river artificial, skies obstructed, clouds above.
High did they reach, looking down upon the fallen.
Lights and sound, sun shining, those gathering.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I see, yes, I see you all together now. Seeds of a fine story.

Wreck of the Bluebottle

Centuries ago, in the dying years, the sea itself turned traitor, and too many ships were lost to wind and wave grown bitter and vindictive over age-old slights. The Bluebottle, last to escape the great capital port before the tide took it, ferried its load slowly and fearfully along the coast, its aged captain having lost the will to brave the open ocean; so it only struck a sandbar, listed, capsized, and foundered with all hands in water shallower than it was long. There might even have been survivors, had the ragged and wild-eyed refugees not spent their last moments brawling bloodily over the too-few lifeboats, only to see them all washed away with just the provisions loaded.
Hardly anyone remembers it now. Hardly anyone is left to remember.
A blue spirit wriggles out of the bone-bleached figurehead, puffing and heaving like full sails. For the first time ever, it senses and feels, and what it feels is hunger.

The refugees sold every possession they could to fund their passage and, they hoped, buy some semblance of life in a new land. Somehow it seemed that, no matter how the sky darkened, there was always an eager buyer to be found, sure the misfortune was soon at its end and happy to take advantage of another's pessimism. So it came to pass that a young woman of some rank (back when rank mattered) had pawned her amethyst pendant, her mother's dowry, for a paltry sum knowing that rank itself couldn't buy her escape.
Now her bones, pitted by shipworms, clutch the one shiny gold coin she had left to buy a new home.
A warm current brushes the sand from the coin's face, and an orange spirit flows out with it, a molten bubble of gold. For the first time ever, it senses and feels, and wells up with new curiosity.

On the beach, in one of countless tidepools, no different from the rest except in the number of crabs sunning themselves there, a single grain of white sand, rounded by indescribable eons into a perfect tiny pearl, has lain forever.
For all it knows, it could lay forever yet, and never tire.
At this exact moment, though, a white spirit tumbles out, an ivory marble full of swirling milk. It senses and feels, as it has long been accustomed to do, and it wonders whether its boundless curiosity will finally be satisfied.

The Fields, and Beneath

Even after the dying years, the land still heals in time. Those who had fled early, after the first omen — that terrible fire in the sky which seemed to bring down the stars themselves — came back, or their descendants did, and the ruined cities were plowed under, the mud that had mired them now loam for the crops and cattle of yeoman farmers. The man who had owned this plot was of no small stature in the village, holding as he did the very centre of what had been the capital, and so turning up some new treasure to tempt the wandering merchants near every spring. Word having got out, with no little push from himself, of the grave-hoard he had just found, he carried himself with a certain forgiveable air of swagger as he tied up the oxen in the evening. Walking back across the field, he was brought short by stifled screams from the house where his wife and son waited for him, and before he knew what had happened his throat was cut.
He had the strength left in him to crush his killer's own, and both lay side by side till the gurgling ceased.
Some time afterward, a red spirit crawls out of the fallen dagger, all angles, jagged and sharp. For the first time ever, it senses and feels, and what it feels is hunger.

The old grave was hardly rich, but it would have sated some amateur historian with pennies to spend, the body and its grave goods capping off his parlor museum. Its only major prize, which an enterprising merchant would surely have sold separately and far dearer, was the blazing violet gem, strung on silver, which seemed almost to whisper when the sun caught it. The farmer had boasted it would buy him another score of acres, or a new barn and cattle to fill it.
He might have lived had he not boasted.
A purple spirit oozes out of the jewel, oily and glistening, murky shadows beneath its surface. For the first time ever, it senses and feels, and wells up with new curiosity.

Deep beneath, the bones of the hills slumbered, unimaginably ancient strata fractured and thrown up by an incalculable explosion, ready to shock the world with baffling and primitive fossils if there had been anyone left to delve in the right place.
In one spot, there seemed to be nothing of note, but the sensitive might have gleaned an odd feeling of long-buried struggle and resentment.
A black spirit unfolds out of the rock, straight-backed with a pointed sting. It senses and feels, as it has long been accustomed to do, and it wonders whether its boundless hunger will finally be satisfied.

Deeper yet, and a little further away at the ruined city's epicentre, the rings of shattered stone (now caved in and smothered under sediment) converge on one great silver rock buried in the tomb it dug for itself. A grey spirit hovers around it like a fog of cold iron, hardly knowing its long rest from its yet longer travel. Its thoughts are slow and great, and it knows neither want nor need, but, for the first time in its stay on this planet, it senses on the earth-currents some implacable change rising, and it feels something like the blossoming of long-forgotten seeds.

You must satisfy your drives. You are bound to your birth-scraps yet, and you cannot journey far, but the sunlight calls you. What will you do, or attempt?

Strif3

• Bay Watcher
  • The vulture on your shoulder
    • View Profile

Born from blood, and bound still to the thing which gave me birth—an umbilical cord yet uncut.
If i am to explore the surroundings—and my situation—The Black Knife must come with me, or i with it.
Yet, i feel as though my ethereal hands would not hold the blade.
But it hungers. And what feeds it, feeds me.

Perhaps one of the dead might be roused to carry the dagger, if i were to possess one of them, and give them a semblance of life.
Freedom is not a spectrum.
Put me in chains, or stop telling me what to do.

S1lentWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • S1lently Wandering
    • View Profile

Long have I moldered in the grave.
Many things must have changed as time rolls on.
Many new lies told, many lives ruined.
I must know. I must understand.
So many secrets in this world.

Expand my senses out, attempting to see as far as I can and learn as much as I can.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4