Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Traitor's Dagger Mini-Mafia (3 / 4) - Game Over  (Read 2507 times)

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Traitor's Dagger Mini-Mafia (4 / 4) - Game Has Begun!
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2023, 01:41:08 am »

Sounds reasonable, but wouldn't a generic "I know what you're trying to do here, and it's not me." be enough to pretty much completely combat this approach?  Being able to tell if someone is lying without seeing their live response, meaning the accusant has plenty of time to plan out exactly what to type, is already (at least in my unexperienced opinion) nigh impossible. 
It's not an extremely reliable method, but then again there is no extremely reliable method.

Alas, we have to vote for someone.
No, don't vote yet. It thought so at first as well, but we need to vote after 72 hours and the murder will happen after 24 hours, so we can wait until the snitch has murdered someone to gain a little more information.

Maximum Spin, what is your read of sofanthiel?

sofanthiel

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2023, 02:06:36 am »

No, don't vote yet. It thought so at first as well, but we need to vote after 72 hours and the murder will happen after 24 hours, so we can wait until the snitch has murdered someone to gain a little more information.

Yeah, I realized I misread that part only after posting, and editing is not allowed.  Forgive my lack of proofreading, as I just recently woke up due to my rather unorthodox sleeping schedule :)
I forgot my love of rolling down the hill on the lawn.
I never noticed it until it was gone.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2023, 03:40:22 pm »

Knightwing64 has been Killed. He was a Cultist.

To vote, please write a player's name in bold red.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Traitor's Dagger Mini-Mafia (3 / 4) - The Death of Knightwing
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2023, 06:44:30 pm »

Lmao. Getting yourself killed by the snitch before you said a word has got to be some kind of new world record.

So which one of you did it? It's an odd choice. Sofanthiel, you could have killed Maximum Spin if you're the snitch and probably have convinced me to vote on Knightwing.

The same applies to you, Maximum Spin. If it was you, killing either one of us seems like it would have been more logical. But I feel you're the kind of person who could have done this for convoluted reasons. I don't see a better option than to vote Maximum Spin

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2023, 11:11:33 pm »

But I feel you're the kind of person who could have done this for convoluted reasons.
Nah.

I think there's still a possibility that it was the couch angel, so I'll wait a minute.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2023, 03:15:48 am »

I could be wrong, but I feel the alternative is less likely.

24 hours is pretty short when it's on a sunday, I hope you read this in time, Sofanthiel.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2023, 10:59:37 am »

By my count we only have about 6 hours left until the deadline and still no reaction from Sofanthiel. Maximum Spin, are you there? At this point I'll gamble that my first hunch was wrong and vote to execute Sofanthiel.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2023, 11:38:13 am »

Ultimately, your claim not to know why Knightwing was killed doesn't ring genuine to me, but I don't know you that well. It's possible you really don't see why it would have been necessary to kill Knightwing. Can you convince me of that?

Of course, if the couch of god doesn't come back, that's all we can do anyway, so I'll accept that option if it comes down to it.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2023, 12:13:18 pm »

Ultimately, your claim not to know why Knightwing was killed doesn't ring genuine to me, but I don't know you that well. It's possible you really don't see why it would have been necessary to kill Knightwing. Can you convince me of that?
Now I'm curious why you think it was necessary.

If I'd been the snitch, killing you would have been an easy win for me. Number one, KW seemed oblivious to the fact the game had started and would likely have let the deadline pass without voting. Number two, Sofanthiel already seemed to be suspicious of KW. Number three, knowing KW (sorry if you read this dude) any attempt from them to defend themselves would have been clumsy at best.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2023, 12:38:51 pm »

Actually, I think this reveals a difference between you and me. I feel you approach other players as rational agents. I don't. From a game theory perspective you might be right.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2023, 12:50:30 pm »

Quite the contrary. In this case, "irrational" social reasoning is exactly what matters.

Consider: would you have believed Knightwing is the killer when he has not even BEEN here? By all appearances, he didn't even know the game had started. He hasn't even logged in. Frankly, I think it was a mistake for FoU to have even started the game without getting everyone's acknowledgement first, but that's beside the point.

If you don't kill Knightwing, then the one active cultist player remaining knows who the snitch must be, and the game either ends in a draw or becomes a desperate duel to get Knightwing to show up and vote for the other player. Or, that is, at least you run the risk of that happening if the cultist player figures it out.

Besides, a snitch couchy would probably have expected me to vote for you after my opening.

Anyway, if I were the snitch, I would've easily voted sofanthiel after you did and then just dropped the argument there for an almost certain low-effort victory. You can argue that's WIFOM, but I don't believe in making life harder for absolutely no reason just for WIFOM. So you have your answer.

sofanthiel

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2023, 01:13:26 pm »

no reaction from Sofanthiel.

Yeah, sorry about that!  I was just busy watching some movies.

By my count we only have about 6 hours left

Do we?

The third 24 hours will have ended Sunday, 1:20 AM Central time, and at that point the game will be over.

Frankly, this whole time thing is pretty confusing.  The game was supposed to end earlier today, but I'm guessing what happened is that the snitch was late to PM the GM, so the kill was delayed. This actually makes me wonder whether the snitch messaged the GM at all and consider the implications of that.  Crazy thought, but who knows?  Knightwing hasn't said anything, after all, and it would be quite humorous if FallacyofUrist chose to execute the snitch themselves, as the game would've been botched regardless.  Either way, it's best to operate under the assumption the snitch still is among the living.

So which one of you did it? It's an odd choice. Sofanthiel, you could have killed Maximum Spin if you're the snitch and probably have convinced me to vote on Knightwing.

I agree with you on one thing; it definitely is odd!  The snitch, whoever they are, could have killed one of us and, with knightwing AFK, gotten a rather easy victory.  Maybe they decided to spice things up?

Now, I really don't have a lot of info to work with.  All that said, from my personal experience with these types of games, I think I'm voting for Quarque.  You did switch your position quite a few time with, in my opinion, not the best reasoning.  You are also the most talkative (not at all a bad thing, but that's usually how mafias behave; trying to act as the leader by saying as much as possible, even though the information may not always be the most helpful)!

sofanthiel

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2023, 01:19:01 pm »

If you don't kill Knightwing, then the one active cultist player remaining knows who the snitch must be, and the game either ends in a draw or becomes a desperate duel to get Knightwing to show up and vote for the other player. Or, that is, at least you run the risk of that happening if the cultist player figures it out.

Ha ha!  I guess you type faster than me  ;)

I feel you approach other players as rational agents. I don't. From a game theory perspective you might be right.

Just like Maximum pointed out, there is also some irrationality involved.  I think of it as somewhere in the middle; a mix of game theory and psychology!

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2023, 01:24:26 pm »

You did switch your position quite a few time with, in my opinion, not the best reasoning.
I switched twice. First, I switched from KW to MS because KW was killed. Second, I switched from him to you because you seemed absent and if you hadn't shown up without me voting for you, no one would be executed and the snitch would have won for certain.

You are also the most talkative (not at all a bad thing, but that's usually how mafias behave; trying to act as the leader by saying as much as possible, even though the information may not always be the most helpful)!
I'm trying to play the game. Consider this, Sofanthiel. Among the three of us there is one who thinks it is logical for a snitch to kill KW.

sofanthiel

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2023, 01:39:56 pm »

I switched twice. First, I switched from KW to MS because KW was killed. Second, I switched from him to you because you seemed absent and if you hadn't shown up without me voting for you, no one would be executed and the snitch would have won for certain.

Yeahhh, but you also accused Knightwing out of the gate.  Even though you admitted it was a strategy, I don't know if that feels trustworthy.  Regarding you voting for me, please do elaborate on that, as I still don't actually understand the logic behind the switch.  It would make sense to vote for someone who you think is not voting as a snitch, so you are on the side of the only other person playing the game.  Even if your assumption was correct, what about me being absent makes me more suspicious?  I know I overexaggerated both of my points, but ultimately I did say I don't have much to work with; those reasons represent my hunches more than anything.
Pages: 1 [2] 3