Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 189

Author Topic: Migrursut: What Comes After The World Ends? [Epilogue] (A Community Fort)  (Read 376677 times)

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Migrursut: Of Glass and Steel (A Community Fort)
« Reply #1170 on: October 21, 2008, 07:46:23 pm »

Well, seeing as the story is in journal format, I don't see why you shouldn't just throw the player-made journals in. Just get some clarification when needed.

Stravitch

• Bay Watcher
  • Lenod Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: October 22, 2008, 07:19:25 am »

You are not BFF's!

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: October 22, 2008, 07:32:09 am »

It might be an idea to stick the main story together in slightly bigger lumps as chapters, then add player-made journals on to the end of each as additional reflections on the plot advancements. This might allow the story to flow a bit more between natural start and end-points, and then collate each character's private recollections of the events at the end of each chapter.

Though this depends on how well you can combine stuff into short(ish) chapters... long enough to keep flow, interest and plot advancement, not too long that that it renders the additional stuff at the end of the chapter into a vast appendix that's about as readable as the Silmarillion.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: October 22, 2008, 08:17:49 am »

So far, all good suggestions.  I've got a question for Mephansteras though.  Are you suggesting that I have each page of the PDF (or word file, or whatever) broken up with a margin on the side, and while the main story is on the Page Proper, the reader-content is put in the margin so that it matches up chronologically? 

Because if you are, or aren't, suggesting that, I kind of like that idea if it won't slaughter the formatting. 

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: October 22, 2008, 10:54:20 am »

That is exactly what I'm suggesting. Kind of like asides to the main story, which I suppose is exactly what they are.

BTW, if you ever decide to turn this thing into a full story and publish it, you have my full permission to use any pieces I write for Adol.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 10:56:04 am by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: October 22, 2008, 12:09:25 pm »

That is exactly what I'm suggesting. Kind of like asides to the main story, which I suppose is exactly what they are.

BTW, if you ever decide to turn this thing into a full story and publish it, you have my full permission to use any pieces I write for Adol.

I appreciate the consent, but I don't think I'd go about turning this into a pay-for-it book.  There's just a big slippery slope here, and as broken as my moral compass is, I'd actually feel really bad making a profit off of this when Toady might not see a dime.  Really, this is just a for fun thing for me, and to hopefully help me improve as a writer and allow me to work with plot holes that happen out of my control (stupid game).  Besides, there are a bunch of general ideas and themes - unique to the story, not stolen parodied - that I'd love to self-plagiarize and use in the Unnamed Fantasy Novel I've started in my off time. 

Giving this out as a free pdf download?  That's cool.  Maybe there could be a way to work it in as a Thank You for those that contribute to Toady?  That could be cool too.  Really, all I can say is, "If you dig this story, give Toady money."  Because if there's anyone here that deserves some coin, it would be him. 

Kuli

• Bay Watcher
  • Born-Again Zefonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: October 22, 2008, 02:25:33 pm »

The journals in the margins aren't a bad idea.  However, the side stories like mine and Glacies' (were there others?) should probably be attached as appendices.  And maybe there would be a footnote at the appropriate part of the story that says something like "Go to Appendix B to read so-and-so's adventure."
"The power of Zefon compels you!"

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: October 22, 2008, 02:34:14 pm »

The diary of maggarg
Big nasty halfbreed goblins outside.
Must remember to give Z. his crash suit.
Can't have him in bed another 6 months.
Gosh, actually, I'm really thirsty, I'll fight later.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: October 22, 2008, 04:18:26 pm »

OOC: Updates will be VERY sparse until after Halloween.  Not only is there the connection issues, I got a bombshell dropped on me in the form of travel to Huntsville next week. 

This is a conference full of various agencies that all hate my department, and what we do.  If I can't find some small way to get out of it, I plan to make this the most uncomfortable event anyone has ever witnessed by explaining to each and government agency there that the reason our group has this work and they don't, is because we actually have results, and I'm not a whining bitch in a three piece suit. 

So if I go dark for a couple days, starting around Sunday, don't worry about me.  I'm just sitting through nine hours of power point presentations and drawing pictures in my notebook of the various ways I want to kill myself.  Actually, if that happens, everyone here start harping on Glacies to pump out more side-stories and pictures.  That way he can feel as put upon as his in-story Dwarf, and I can laugh when I get to read it.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 06:52:25 am by Heavy Flak »

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: October 23, 2008, 04:56:08 am »

Good luck, HF. Enjoy making the other agencies uncomfortable!

Stravitch

• Bay Watcher
  • Lenod Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: October 23, 2008, 07:16:20 am »

Are you there yet? Are you there yet? Are you there yet? Are you there yet? Are you there yet? Are you there yet? Are you there yet?

Stravitch

• Bay Watcher
  • Lenod Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: October 29, 2008, 01:13:44 pm »

Annnnnd were back!

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: October 29, 2008, 01:28:40 pm »

phew, i guess the forum outages were well timed with HF's leave of absence
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: October 29, 2008, 01:52:56 pm »

phew, i guess the forum outages were well timed with HF's leave of absence

Actually, funny story, I got pulled from the trip at literally the Eleventh Hour, which means I've been here all week, glassy-eyed, refreshing the forum ad nausem.

The black-out timed extremely well with Heavy Flak buying Fable 2 and Fallout 3.  Though I had nothing to do with it, I plan to give you guys some update(s) tonight as a, ahh, apology for the forum being down?  Is that the right work I'm looking for? 

Also, bit of a shot in the dark - anyone on here know any literary agents?  :)  I've finally exhausted all of my "easy" options, and now have to deal with the arduous task of shopping myself out based on these terrible things like... skill, and personality. 

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: October 29, 2008, 03:40:32 pm »

it looks like we lost a bit of content, the first post is cut off at "They"
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 189