Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 189

Author Topic: Migrursut: What Comes After The World Ends? [Epilogue] (A Community Fort)  (Read 376695 times)

Xofrevlis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt Page
Re: Migrursut: Goodness is a Choice (A Community Fort)
« Reply #1260 on: November 10, 2008, 08:23:05 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thanks to Heavy Flak for getting me the map for this so quickly.

Something I whipped up for a project I'm starting, doing 31 drawings in 31 days. This would be the first drawing. I'm just going to give myself a bit of a plug and mention that the drawings will be hosted on my Deviant Art page, which there is a link to in my profile. (hopefully noone minds)

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: November 10, 2008, 09:49:32 am »

Donkeys are for everyone. I approve of other dwarves' fondnesses for donkeys, and while there should always be donkeys in the donkey sanctuary, I have no objection to other dwarves adopting them as pets and caring for them.

Letting adopted donkeys out of the sanctuary, so that they may follow their owners, might involve a little teleportation, but I'm sure that that could be arranged.

Donkeys!

My name is Jools Machinescalded, Donkey Sanctuary owner, and I approve of this message

Also I like the map, showing the world of Migrursut... but I can't help feeling that there should be a little more of a warning on it. Camels, whales, Giant Octopi and other hazards are clearly marked to deter the casual adventurer, but other than the name, there's not a lot on the map that says "AVOID MIGRURSUT, IT'S FULL OF LOONIES". ;-D

Groveller

• Bay Watcher
  • Giant Wingéd Giant Caveswallowmanman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: November 10, 2008, 10:15:50 am »

Maybe a nice cheery "HERE BE DRAGONS STRAVITCH" would do it?

Xof, you make me wish I could draw.
The raccoon's still there, though.  Just chilling out.  Being a raccoon in some rocks.

Grov: Grovness is a Grov (A Grov Grov)

Xofrevlis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt Page
« Reply #1263 on: November 10, 2008, 10:36:57 am »

The thing is, I'm not sure about most of these dangers. I just love the old maps with drawings of serpents and dragons and such. There might be nothing bigger than a flounder in that ocean for all I know.
...As for Migrursut, I think the fact that it's roughly scratched on on top of the original map and only marked with an X might say something about it. Maybe that's a bit understated though, I'm liking the idea of needing a warning about Stravitch.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: November 10, 2008, 10:38:40 am »

Grath: You're in, and without the standard "you'll need to wait 1-5 months before it happens" warning.  Woaaaah!  Also, you have the added bonus of being the first person in this thread to make a joke based on that.  That means your character will be extra annoying. :D

Kuli: That's a really interesting take on Aryn, and his project.  I hadn't even thought of some of the other groups thinking of him as... a necessary evil, so to speak. 

Xofrevlis: As always, I'm super impressed.  I don't care what the notes on your deviant art page says, I like the yellowing effect.  Hehe, I really dig the jolly looking squid chilling out in the ocean.

Keiferu:

Litast was the last of the God's mentioned in the story (Why?  either laziness on my part, or because through sheer randomness no one picked a character with him as a Diety), and they're something of a ... milder subset to Lenod's Fiery Rage. 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 10:40:17 am by Heavy Flak »

Sparrow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: November 10, 2008, 12:13:39 pm »

Oh Can I get my profile and deity entry please? I'm too lazy to look my profile in dephts of this thread and I don't think there was an Itmad entry.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: November 10, 2008, 12:55:47 pm »

Yeah, Litast hasn't come up all that much. I think Adol was the first player dwarf who worshiped him.

We need a priest of Litast! Something to counter the Ledonites...excessiveness.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: November 10, 2008, 02:38:36 pm »

Oh Can I get my profile and deity entry please? I'm too lazy to look my profile in dephts of this thread and I don't think there was an Itmad entry.

Here you are

And the diety info is in.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 03:15:03 pm by Heavy Flak »

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: November 10, 2008, 03:38:27 pm »

Something to counter the Lenodites...excessiveness.

<cough>We could always listen to Master Kuli, and follow the path of Zefon</cough>

Anyway - a warning that this catches me up from my last diary entry, about 100 posts ago, to the present day:

From the diary of Jools Machinescalded

It has been some time since I have taken the time to commit my thoughts to parchment, and much has happened in the intervening time. Part of the reason for this break has been massive upsets involving the loss and destruction of a number of journals, with their owners unable to find them, or update them, and them being incomplete when they were recovered.

With the Captain of the Guard unwilling (and probably unfit) to take on investigative duties, I have been discussing the matter with Bertrand. Given the indiscriminate nature of the disappearance of the diaries (everyone, from Aryn to the tiniest child, was affected) and then their reappearance, largely undamaged, it is unlikely to be related to any conspiracy against the fort. Anyone seeking to hurt us through stealing our diaries would (aside from being a halfwit - there are few vital secrets committed to paper in this place) be unlikely to return them; anyone seeking to learn from them would not steal all of them at once, and be so obvious about it.

I am entirely at a loss, and have decided to leave the matter unresolved, for I fear nothing will ever be conclusively proved. Bertrand has a theory that some individual or group feared they were about to suffer a mass outbreak of diarrhoea, and so stockpiled every scrap of paper in the fortress for their own use, starting with the soft, well-thumbed pages of our journals (presumably with the journal of ever-unpopular Aryn on the top of the pile). Then, when unafflicted, they were sheepishly returned. While unable to discount this theory, it is not one I am in agreement with.

Also in the list of unresolved crimes is that heinous matter of the cutting of the hairs from the tail of one of my donkeys. I have been unable to recover them, or find anyone who knows anything of the crime. I suspect outside influences; some evildoer sneaking in to the fortress, cutting the tail hair, and leaving once more, never to be seen again. I asked Vash to keep a particular eye out for donkey hair on any thieves that were spotted and killed, but he's been a bit distracted lately, ever since that incident with the iron statues appearing. And the giant leopard. Perhaps I should try speaking with someone else who patrols the wastes.

Shortly after I gave up hope of making progress in the Donkey Tail investigation, there was some sort of attack. Goblin half-breeds or something, and apparently their leader is some big cheese - some say a wizard, which he must have been to attack this place and escape with his life. The military prevailed, as always, but I couldn't help thinking that they would have done better had they used a wooden donkey in their battle plans.

Around the same time, Stravitch Fillwhip got stabbed in the stomach. Nobody is quite sure how or why (there are too many plausible reasons to make a reasonable guess), but it clearly wasn't anything to do with the goblins. When asked, Stravitch just glares, and the only person I feel might know something is Zako - however, he clams up swiftly when questioned, so I feel the truth is unlikely to emerge unless Stravitch or his attacker makes it known. Regardless, ever since being punctured, Stravitch has been relatively deflated, so it remains a positive turn of events for the bulk of the fort.

Following that, a number of weeks later, was an excellent day, when some foolish merchants tried to increase their wealth by gambling. Sadly they hadn't thought much about the game they were playing, and for a little coin, I was able to win donkey after priceless donkey off them, without once winning a wooden donkey or some gaudy chunk of armour, so encrusted with jewels as to be practically useless. I won every last donkey they had brought.

Weirdly, once they were out of decent prizes, Glacies started playing the game of chance with them. For some reason he was trying to win the armour. I don't think his head's screwed on right. Besides, he's been acting a little odd for a while.

While I was introducing my new charges to the Sanctuary, I was rudely summoned to a fortress meeting, at which everyone was present. At this meeting, Aryn laid out his plans for the future - some great construction to be made in the quarry, of glass and steel, domes and spires and bubbles that will house the finest elements of Dwarven society in luxury, secure beneath an ocean of water that our goblin foes cannot penetrate.

I'm not sure about it, myself. I looked at the plans. There wasn't a donkey sanctuary in there that I could see. Nor space for another temple to Zefon. In fact, there wasn't any sort of temple - unless you looked at the whole thing as a giant temple to Aryn, and that's something I can't see anyone but Aryn worshipping in. Besides, seeing water above them would spook my donkeys, and I'm not really sure that even glass and steel is strong enough to protect us from any carp or other fierce aquatic beasts that might be in the waves above us. No, I shall stay outside this "utopia" while I have a choice, dwelling in and above the rock, and caring for my donkeys.

Then there was the minor incident of the wooden donkey. While Glacies was still gambling with the merchants after the grand meeting, I took the opportunity to examine the wooden donkey they had given me. With a little disassembly and examination, I was able to build larger-scale components and assemble them into a giant wooden donkey, outside the walls, where our brave military might use it to aid in the defence of Migrursut.

Sadly this sparked a minor security alert. I am not an expert carpenter at large scale objects, and many were unsure as to what it was that had appeared over the walls, some even misidentifying it as a dragon. Despite the fear shown amongst the fortress, the military remain strangely reluctant to use it in our defence, despite my offering it to them to use as they wish. The only person who has so far expressed any approval of the wooden donkey is Snake Splitskin, who laughed uproariously, slapped me on the back and bought me a large flagon of ale, saying it was the funniest thing he'd seen in years.

Since then I seem to have attracted an apprentice to my sanctuary. A child called Grov who seeks to feed all the dangerous beasts. While I am ever alert to the danger of such a carefree idio child feeding *himself* to the beasts, I have occasionally allowed him limited contact. Strangely he seems more fascinated by the big, dangerous animals than by the donkeys. I'm slightly nonplussed by this, but welcome the attention of someone who may, in years to come, aid me in my work in this Sanctuary.

In a shocking change to the normal run of events in this place, more dwarves came to join us. Okay, so they were merchants and guards from a caravan, who survived an attack and fled here, but it's strange that they chose to stay. Most sane dwarves would take one look and flee straight past here, with the fear inspired by their sight of this place lending them wings to carry them faster than the swiftest creature of Zefon's making. Anyway, my spirits are boosted by the new arrivals. There is another Zefonist to join our congregation, and also two donkey lovers. They are all most welcome

I think that brings us up to date. I shall try and keep more current journals from now on: things are beginning to change more swiftly, and if nothing else, I think it worth chronicalling the construction of Aryn's utopia, so that if when something goes wrong, the true cause can be revealed, and this document may serve as a Warning From History.

As well as a treatise on the importance of donkeys and a detailed examination of the proper ways to care for them and deal with anything that afflicts them. This thing isn't *all* about Aryn, you know.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 03:47:12 pm by Jools »

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: November 10, 2008, 03:57:44 pm »

The events of the 17th of Timber, 1066

The refuges all gathered in the mess hall, sitting on one side of the long rows of benches.  Standing on the other side was Aryn and his guards, the tax collector Crowpages, and Glacies - who seemed out of breath from all the trinkets he had draped about him. 

Large stacks of paper were in front of the refuges, and Aryn was walking them through what was written there.  The laborers were signing much more than the soldiers, grumbling as they had to agree to taxes on their wages, on meager days off, on what exactly they'd be doing.

The soldiers, lead by the Hammerer Eita, had much less to agree to - just the basics: The protection of Migrursut, it's citizens, and most importantly it's leaders.  As the commander for The Portals of Honesty, Eita signed with a Florish, followed by War'dunell, but Neo held the process up, lifting his head to ask, "Wait, wait, hold on.  Is this really the order I have to follow?"

"What do you mean?"  Aryn asked, startled. 
"Well, look here,"  he jabbed the paper with his index finger, frowning, "Let's say Kivish here is getting mauled by a leopard, and you've had your coin purse stolen by a kobold.  I'm supposed to go for the Kobold and let sweet Kiv have her face eaten off?"
"'Course you go for the coin purse, what'are ya', daft?" Glacies chided
"I don't want to get mauled by a leopard!" Kivish wailed, horrified.
"Then don't go petting them, ya' fool!"
"She wasn't trying to pet the damn thing, she was just walking to the trade depot," Keldor said, folding her arms. 
"That's right!  I was just going to bring a barrel of plump helmets inside for needy children, and then it attacked me."
"You're a liar," Glacies snapped, rising from his chair, "you were going to STEAL the plump helmets!  It's a good thing I let that damned leopard out!  You deserved every single bite to your stupid face!"

"SHUT UP!" Aryn roared.  The room went quiet, and Aryn, his hands trembling, pushed strands of greasy hair out of his face.  "Use your best judgement," he said slowly.  "Of course let the Kobold go if someone's getting eaten.  If they're stabbing the leopard in the throat, then go for the Kobold.  This isn't that hard to deal with.  Now listen, there is one thing that you need to remember, that isn't added to the welcome package just yet.  Telamon.
"Telamon is a ghost story, a terrorist, something evil used to scare the fortress.  He, or she, or... gah, it, doesn't exist, at all.  Ignore the posted - if you hear rumors, if anyone talks about him?  Mentions his ... his conspiracies?  Report them to me.  This is fortress safety, this is needed, these are men who seek to undermine our way of life."

"For once, I have to agree with Master Estetar," Crowpages said, and Aryn preened noticably.  "This person has caused nothing but trouble, and as new members, you're in a unique position to-"

Crowpages stopped as the door to the mess opened, the heavy thock of boots hitting the stone floor.  All eyes turned towards Archin as she stalked towards the nobles, looking like a ghost as covered in alunite dust as she was.  When they arrived in these wastes, she was petite and small.  But after so long toiling in the mines, Archin was massive, block-shaped from bulging muscles, her face lined and hard.  Her voice was low and gravely from lack of use, "It's done.  The quarry is complete.  I'm going to the farm."
"Seriously?"  Aryn grinned wide, and clapped his hands together, "Oh, oh!  Excellent!  I need to let Roaroaks know, and- farm?  No, grab your spade, you're miners are to join Rice's team.  We have a lot of work to do."

"No."
The room went deathly quiet.  "What do you mean, no," Aryn asked, his eyes narrowing.
"I mean no.  I'm through, screw you and your projects.  I haven't had a hot meal and a real conversation for almost five years.  I'm done."
"Now you listen me.  You're to grab your spade and get to work, and if I hear one more complaint, I'll make sure you can add "see light" to the list of things you haven't had in years, because you'll be safely tucked away in the black cells."

Archin snorted out air, misting the rock dust off her beard.  She turned hard and brought her fist down on the table beside her, the rock cracking under her huge, calloused hand, crumbling to pieces on the floor below.  She didn't say anything, instead turning and stalking from the mess hall, dropping her pick and miners cap on the floor in the middle of the room.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 04:03:21 pm by Heavy Flak »

Stravitch

• Bay Watcher
  • Lenod Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: November 10, 2008, 10:05:08 pm »

What is this I hear you are showing disrespect to Lenodites? *gently pats his baseball bat on his other hand*

Kuli

• Bay Watcher
  • Born-Again Zefonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: November 10, 2008, 10:08:54 pm »

Kuli: That's a really interesting take on Aryn, and his project.  I hadn't even thought of some of the other groups thinking of him as... a necessary evil, so to speak.

Kuli may be unique in that regard.  He still thinks of Migrursut as a potential new Zoden Zefon, and he grudgingly respects Aryn for founding the place and keeping it running.
"The power of Zefon compels you!"

Keifru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: November 10, 2008, 11:47:54 pm »

Property of Kivish. Theft of this object will be subject to mild discomfort at the hands of sunbeams.
Date: 7 days post DoA

I can't believe we had to wait seven days in this Litast-blasted land before we could even come inside and get something to eat and drink!

This Glacies is a foul man. Setting a leopard upon me, the nerve! Never mind this was all theoretical, he had no right to sic a spotted beast upon myself, believing me to be procuring plump helmets illicitly! I'm glad that Neo would have helped me.

Maybe I should find a metalsmith and see if they will make me a splendid sword...or maybe a sword hidden within a scepter! It would be perfect. No one would suspect a woman carrying a scepter around, and whence brigands spring forth, WA CHA! a blade I pull from within it's bosom!

It is quite unfair we have to pay taxes on what we do. We're refugees, with nothing to our name now! We don't even get a reprieve period to build up some reserve money...what if I get cave sickness and have whim to pray to Litast? I would be vomiting all over the place and in no condition to work. I would be in debt!

Aryn does not sound much better than Glacies. His words are like soap...but more...unclean. Like anti-soap. Like, if you washed something with anti-soap, it would become dirty instead of becoming clean. Maybe anti-soap is dust?

Archin seems pretty...strong. It was badass how she stood up to Aryn. Hmmm, that would be a pretty neat picture.
*Two dwarves are drawn below this entry. One dwarf is making an angry gesture. The other dwarf is smashing a table*
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 11:53:17 pm by Keifru »

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: November 11, 2008, 02:43:17 am »

I got a request of the local dwarf drawers on the forums, and I would be ever grateful if it was done with good quality if possible!

My request: A group drawing of all the current military dwarves, making sure that all details like Snakes regrowing beard, Merkils special hammer and even the special leg-brace of Zako are drawn.

I think it would look cool! But no fort guards unless you want to!

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: November 11, 2008, 08:25:31 am »

I got a request of the local dwarf drawers on the forums, and I would be ever grateful if it was done with good quality if possible!

My request: A group drawing of all the current military dwarves, making sure that all details like Snakes regrowing beard, Merkils special hammer and even the special leg-brace of Zako are drawn.

I think it would look cool! But no fort guards unless you want to!

Your post has motivated me from my lurking. I'm gonna ask Heavy Flak for the military dwarf's details, and finish Lucy and that other guy I forgot the name of first. But I'll try and get on it ASAP.

EDIT:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 08:51:37 am by Glacies »
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 189