Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 189

Author Topic: Migrursut: What Comes After The World Ends? [Epilogue] (A Community Fort)  (Read 376680 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Migrursut: Goodness is a Choice (A Community Fort)
« Reply #1665 on: January 20, 2009, 07:27:25 pm »

That bolded note to self looks like an invitation to me, not just according to my perspective, but also a personal invitation. It is an invitation, right?

Notes of Hikan Riddlewire, kept on his person.
Entry for the week of 1st Granite, 1068.

I always enjoy starting out the new year with a bang. Aryn told me in his office quite frankly, "Hikan, I have a task for you. Glacies has been irresponsible for too long. You know what to do."

I could have hugged Aryn there, like a child happy to receive a gift from his parents, but I contained my enthusiasm until I left. As soon as I left, I shouted on the top of my lungs, "Thank you, ibmat! You love me today!", no doubt scaring many passing civilians.

So, this is how it went down...

The events of 2nd Granite, 1069, as vividly recorded in Hikan Riddlewire's notes.

Glacies had finished his conversation with Lugnut regarding their next "magic trick" involving Groveller as he opened the door to his room. "Yer just as much a monster as me, taking the 'blood money' as ya call it, ya fecking prick." Stepping in, he turned to light the candles in his room when one lit itself in the corner. His heart sank as the candle revealed a coated figure with a fedora crowning the silhouette: Hikan Riddlewire.

"Glacies." Riddlewire menacingly spoke.

Glacies gulped as he stepped back, reaching towards the handle of the door. "Y-y-yes, Riddlewire? What do you want?"

A spear shot out from underneath his coat and wedged itself in between the door and the frame, jamming the doorknob and preventing it from turning. Glacies shook the handle frantically, but to no avail. Riddlewire stepped forward. "It's not what I want. It's what Aryn wants. You've been lazy. You know what happens to lazy dwarves in Migrursut, do you?"

"Umm..."

Riddlewire stepped forward again, interrupting Glacies. "You know damn well what happens. Aryn signs their death warrant. And you know who carries it out?"

Glacies quivered in fear and only managed to warble out a few terrified tones. Riddlewire stepped forward again. "Me."

A gauntleted fist flew out of the darkness and landed on Glacies' jaw. Glacies screamed loudly, and Riddlewire's hands reached out to cover his mouth and grab his throat. "I would love nothing more," Riddlewire said, glaring into Glacies' eyes, "To squeeze this hand here, and choke you to death. But Aryn is generous. Aryn is generous, isn't he?"

Riddlewire briefly removed his hand from Glacies' mouth. "I'm not-I'm no-" muttered Glacies before another fist landed on his jaw.

"You're not WHAT!?" Riddlewire screamed. "Not doing your JOB! Because Aryn's noticed! So!" A gauntleted fist struck Glacies in between words. "You! Are! Going! To! Do! Your! Job! Or! I! Will! Kill! You!"

Riddlewire released his hold on Glacies, and he fell to the ground and curled up in pain. Riddlewire yanked his spear from the door frame, and opened the door. "Remember, Aryn is generous. This could have ended much worse for you. You'll do your bookkeeping now; you wouldn't want me to come back." And he left.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: January 21, 2009, 08:13:23 am »

I am simultaneously worried as all hells and very, very pleased.

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: January 21, 2009, 08:23:41 am »

Man, the fanon is as good as (because saying it's better than might get me in trouble :P) the canon!
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: January 21, 2009, 04:22:02 pm »

Diary of maggarg
I think I'm finally safe again, the heat's off.
That riddlewire'll be too busy beating up glacies who doesn't look much like glacies, and aryn'll be concentrating on stravich.
Happy days.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: January 21, 2009, 05:51:03 pm »

I'm glad all of you liked that, because I was worried I was overstepping the boundaries between commmunity story participant and community story author. Mucking with other people's characters is one of those boundaries, I think. But Aryn's bolded note to self seemed like an invitation, and who am I to refuse?

Anyways, I hope I wasn't too bold with that.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: January 21, 2009, 05:58:30 pm »

Well, I think fake Glacies is also more fair game then the real Glacies would be. And nothing in what you wrote really changes things too much outside of what Heavy Flak wrote, so I think it was properly done.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: January 21, 2009, 06:14:06 pm »

The events of the 6th of Granite, 1068

"Alright you scrubs, line up!"  Merkil bellowed as he entered the training room.  The Dwarves assembled into their ratty bands of soldiers - the undead hanging out by the back laughing hollowly, Adol, Rolland, Sparrow and Zako happy to see Maggarg after he had vanished for a few weeks, Towersacks, Varen and Jools quietly talking.  Even the newer soldiers - Fireheart and Kandor - seems to have struck a cord with the "returning hero" Wilber, though Fireheart was doing his best to out-story tell the dwarf with Fourteen kills under his belt this week alone.

Behind him came Eita and Sarek, timid as the harsh lights from the wall torches assailed their vision.  They both looked thinner, and each limped a little on their left legs, but they were still dwarvenly stout and full of beard.  Merkil stepped aside, and gave a gesture towards the pair with a sweeping motion of his hand.

"These two are a prime example of why teamwork is a requirement.  An argument over what?  No one rightly remembers.  But it resulted in a pair of soldiers, in their prime, taken out of commission for far too long.  Learn a lesson from these two - no more in fighting.  Ladies?  Show the troops there are no hard feelings."

Eita eyed Sarek warily, but eventually she extended her hand.  Sarek took it and gave a shake, polite applause following from the crowd - though War'dunell made inappropriate cat calls from near the back.  Merkil glowered and gave a quick nod.

"Right.  Back to training.  And please, treat these delicate flowers gently, it seems they break easily."

The laughter that followed was swiftly culled as the barracks door slamemd open.  Glacies stormed through the assembled mass, his eyes blazing, his jaw swollen, an angry black and purple.  Lugnut trailed behind him, and though he sported a freshly blackened eye, he was still smirking.  The book keep muttered as he stalked past them to the storeroom, part of what he said caught:

"...me will he, that ass, that great blow hardy ass.  Sendin' his dogs?  After all I've done fer' this hole, I'll show him a set of bloody books, I'll show him all over the damned place..."

The assembled Dwarves watched him pass, but Merkil drew their attention with a groan.  He pinched the bridge of his nose between thumb and forefinger, his eyes shut tight.  "A perfect example of what not to do, friends.  Keep your eyes open, please, yon book keep seems quite agitated.  Now get back to training..."

OOC:  All actions have consequences, no matter how well deserved or encouraged! :D

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: January 21, 2009, 06:42:09 pm »

OOC:  All actions have consequences, no matter how well deserved or encouraged! :D

Uh oh. Did I fall into a trap? Did I take the bait? I feel simultaneous dread and excitement for what's in store for Hikan, if this statement is as ominous as I think it is.

Kuli

• Bay Watcher
  • Born-Again Zefonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: January 21, 2009, 07:26:57 pm »

Heavy Flak seems to be breaking some serious story-telling barriers here.  In the canon he encourages someone to do something in the fanon that will in turn affect the direction of the canon.  A direction that he may or may not have intended to take in the first place.

In other words, Migrursut is still awesome.

This really does feel more like an actual "community" fort, unlike all those ones where you just get a dwarf named after you and there's usually no further interaction beyond retrospective journal entries.

I wonder, if I wrote something wildly out of character for Kuli would Heavy Flak try to make it fit into the story somehow?  Not that I would do that, of course, since I love trying to write in-character for Kuli.
"The power of Zefon compels you!"

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: January 21, 2009, 08:46:03 pm »

Can I request that Heavy Flak write something for my character? Preferably involving the undead? I would greatly appreciate it.  :D

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: January 21, 2009, 08:49:24 pm »

Diary of Wilber

So I've been noticing ninja's all over the place lately. Killed 9 of em meself last week when I was ambushed. It was a tough fight though, lost some o' me beard when their leader started shooting lasers from his eyes. I just shoved his own foot up his own ass til the sweat on his knee quenched his thirst. Yarp. Lifes good when theres fighting and booze aplenty.

---------------------------------

Hah! If you could work with that then you'd have to be a god at storytelling. I can see Wilber being his own little side story, like Glacies, except as more of a comic strip. 'Wilber the Slayer: Episode 5 - Attack of the Ninjas' has a nice ring to it.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: January 21, 2009, 10:18:18 pm »

I wonder, if I wrote something wildly out of character for Kuli would Heavy Flak try to make it fit into the story somehow?  Not that I would do that, of course, since I love trying to write in-character for Kuli.

I'd try my best to make it fit. I like to think that one of my best qualities is finding ways to tie things together in ways that seems rational, which ends up annoying my coworkers and fascinating the... interesting neighbors next door.  I should have gone out for the propaganda ministry, instead of working for the Navy.  *SIGH!*

Can I request that Heavy Flak write something for my character? Preferably involving the undead? I would greatly appreciate it.  :D

I'll do my best to work something in.  Some side-stories are difficult to work on right now, because every single able body is hauling stone to finish the great constructions.  Things'll pick up now that we'll get the yearly attacks.   

Oh, and as a side note - Vash ended up adopting that jaguar cub that appeared in the zoo.  Adorable!

Diary of Wilber

So I've been noticing ninja's all over the place lately. Killed 9 of em meself last week when I was ambushed. It was a tough fight though, lost some o' me beard when their leader started shooting lasers from his eyes. I just shoved his own foot up his own ass til the sweat on his knee quenched his thirst. Yarp. Lifes good when theres fighting and booze aplenty.

---------------------------------

Hah! If you could work with that then you'd have to be a god at storytelling. I can see Wilber being his own little side story, like Glacies, except as more of a comic strip. 'Wilber the Slayer: Episode 5 - Attack of the Ninjas' has a nice ring to it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 10:52:35 pm by Heavy Flak »

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: January 21, 2009, 10:50:02 pm »

That pic is an instant classic. I swear upon it.

Stravitch

• Bay Watcher
  • Lenod Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: January 22, 2009, 08:53:08 am »

HeavyFlak should be a pro at on demand story manipulation from the actions of his players.  When he used to DM for a few of us in college he would write up a story tree for about a week which we would systematically destroy and make him work on the spot 10 minutes into the game!

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: January 22, 2009, 09:16:56 am »

HeavyFlak should be a pro at on demand story manipulation from the actions of his players.  When he used to DM for a few of us in college he would write up a story tree for about a week which we would systematically destroy and make him work on the spot 10 minutes into the game!

God you guys were assholes!  Here are some examples of what I had to deal with:
* The group decided to write a "Burning Bodies" song.  They sang this song when they burned the bodies of people they shouldn't have killed.  They would all hold hands and sing this song while I would yell at them.
* Building off of that, nearly every session we had ended with the group sitting outside a town of mostly-innocents that had been set on fire, and one of them would say, "Well, we can never go back THERE again" - and they couldn't because everyone was either burnt or dead, so I'd have to move their objective to the next town over to compensate.
* One of the guys was a druid and knew every rule for everything.  They liked to screw with him, like cast... enlarge while he was trying to skulk down a chimney then they'd all laugh uproariously and flap their hands and taunt him until they got caught as a group. Points 1 and/or 2 were usually hit quickly after that.
* Any time I made the mistake of saying "Ring of Fire" they'd all sing Ring of Fire

I wish I could have a drink at work...
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 189