Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23

Author Topic: The Chasm-Challenge  (Read 29445 times)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
The Chasm-Challenge
« on: March 13, 2008, 08:35:00 am »

enough with the community fortresses (fortressi ?) already

Instead, lets have a succesion challenge

Our goal will be to build a fortress entirely inside a circular chasm, under the aspects of aesthetics and practicability. The fortress should have minimal contact with everything that isn't inside the chasm, the only supports will be the main entrance, and a water inlet from the underground river nearby, which will also be used to irrigate farms inside the Chasm-Fortress.

I will start the first round on saturday, where I have plenty of time, until then everyone who is interested should sign up. Turns are taken each year.

Untill saturday, don't forget to give ideas on how to name the fortress

Turn list:
0st. Akroma [ended due to 2 frames per second]
1nd. NPComplete[ended]
2rd. Snugglebear[ended]
3th. Dopefish[ended]
4th. Nahkh[ended]
5th. Kogam Loloklam[ended]
6th. Fleacircus[ended]
7th. NPComplete[ended]
8th. Snugglebear[ended]
9th. Dopefish[ended]
10th. Mlittle{ended]
11th. GeneralValter[ended]
12th. Fleacircus [ended]

14th. Donkringel[ended]
15th. Dopefish[ended]
16th. Mlittle
17th. GeneralValter
18th. Baughn

[ May 18, 2008: Message edited by: Akroma ]

[ May 29, 2008: Message edited by: Akroma ]

[ June 03, 2008: Message edited by: Akroma ]

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

NPComplete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Chasm-Challenge
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 09:10:00 am »

I'm interested.  What version are you using (to avoid bugs etc)?

Naming suggestions:

Two contradictory words, one for sky, one for underground (Deepclouds, etc).  I don't have the dictionary handy.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 09:11:00 am »

38c

are there any bugs I haven't heared of yet, but that I should know of ?

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 09:19:00 am »

Last i checked, you couldn't build a farm on artificial floors   ;)

Just build one with a walkway to it, perhaps, instead of a waterway in.

[ March 13, 2008: Message edited by: sneakey pete ]

Magma is overrated.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 09:25:00 am »

so muddying won't make it farmable ?

well, I guess no one minds when there is a small farming area outside of the chasm. Also i haven't checked it yet, but I there is a chance that there are several levels of rock above the chasm. We just need to remove the ceiling and keep the top level as the farm

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 09:55:00 am »

A floor is a map tile state that creatures can walk on. A floor is formed either naturally (as grass or soil the ground), by constructing walls (thus creating a floor on the level above) or by building a floor. Floors can be built on natural floors; this distinction is subtle but allows for 'paving'.

Constructed floors:

* count as constructions and cannot have walls built upon them
   * can have other types of buildings built upon them, such as workshops
   * can be muddied and farmed

Floors enclose spaces making the tile below them inside.

taken from the wiki

it sais constructed floor can be muddied and farmed on.

[ March 13, 2008: Message edited by: Akroma ]

NPComplete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 10:29:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Akroma:
<STRONG>38c

are there any bugs I haven't heared of yet, but that I should know of ?</STRONG>

Nothing I know of, but it won't hurt to have the same version (I think I'm a few versions behind with my current install so I'll update)

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 10:54:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Akroma:
Constructed floors:

* count as constructions and cannot have walls built upon them
   * can have other types of buildings built upon them, such as workshops
   * can be muddied and farmed

1) yes but by the way wals conts like floors in one level up
2) i had already build worksshops on floors so i think it is not right for the latests versions
3) i dont know but i think also that they can't be farmed (it is a quite normal)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 11:03:00 am »

i know it would be hard to do but this gave me an awsome idea, build in a chasm then pave over the bottom and fill it with magma, if the farming on soil works you could shun all outside contact too.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 11:24:00 am »

Does building walls one level below create floors that can be muddied?

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 11:27:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by BishopX:
<STRONG>Does building walls one level below create floors that can be muddied?</STRONG>

if you can muddy a normal constructed floor, you will also be able to mussya floor on top of a wall. I think what matters is that this tile is tagged as a floor, so it can be muddied and farmed upon. wether it is natural or not doesn't matter

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 01:23:00 pm »

Bomrek McDwarf cancels Breathe: Interrupted by antman
Bomrek McDwarf has suffocated

How are you going to keep the dwarves from cancel-spamming your announcement screen and accomplishing nothing?

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 01:38:00 pm »

before starting to buld inside the chasm I will of course clean it out with marksdwarves, then rewall the caves in the case they respawn.

(do they even respawn ?)

Snugglebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 02:31:00 pm »

I'd be interested in taking on a year of this at some point, with the proviso that if someone has not yet turned the chasm into a means of throwing dwarves, goblins, and items into the abyss as sacrificial offerings, I will.
"Engraved on the wall is an exceptionally-designed image of a dragon and a dwarf by Ber Ilavuz.  The dragon is making a plaintive gesture.  The dwarf is striking a menacing pose."

Dopefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 05:18:00 pm »

Sounds good.  I've been kinda in a rut lately, so this should be fun.  Any other stuff we should know?  Init settings with regards to invasions, the economy and such?
~Swim, Swim, Hungry.~~
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23