Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My Philosopher was...useful?  (Read 1294 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
My Philosopher was...useful?
« on: June 21, 2008, 08:03:50 pm »

Yeah, will wonders never cease?

My trader was busy hauling animals into cages for some reason (I guess that doesn't need any hauling skills up), and the merchants were getting ready to leave. So, I set the depot to "Anyone may trade" And, lo and behold, the Philosopher steps up to the plate and does the trading for me.

And this is the first fort I've ever had where he actually showed up, too.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My Philosopher was...useful?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 08:57:58 pm »

Well, philosphers tend to have great word skill and critical thinking skill, so he or she would probably have done it quite well.

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 09:08:03 pm »

No, the philosopher would be a horrible trader. As soon as he got to the depot he would probably stop to consider the reasons behind material value.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 09:27:23 pm »

Most philosphers are not so divorced from reality that they're unable to make practical and pragmatic decisions and save the philosphizing for later.

Though he'd probably take something from the pile you traded for to ponder the Meaning of It later. :)

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 09:52:39 pm »

Most philosphers are not so divorced from reality that they're unable to make practical and pragmatic decisions and save the philosphizing for later.

Though he'd probably take something from the pile you traded for to ponder the Meaning of It later. :)

I can only assume you yourself are/want to be a Philosophy major.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 09:55:36 pm »

You know what they say about assumptions, right?

frostedfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 10:44:35 pm »

No, the philosopher would be a horrible trader. As soon as he got to the depot he would probably stop to consider the reasons behind material value.

na he'd probably go yakking with the king alot, piss him off and then have to get outta the fort before the hammerer/Royal Guard got him ;)
the spinning bb round hits jack johnson, scumbag in the lower body!
it is pierced through entirely!
his right kidney has been poked out!
his liver has been mangled!

jack johnson, raider has been shot and killed.

The above (including bbcode) neatly weighs in at 255 characters. Fallout meets DF

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 03:13:32 am »

My philosopher used to stand at the very highest place in one of my older fortresses before I gave him a room. I thought it was very interesting, since if I ever wondered where he was, he'd be standing on the roof of my highest tower without fail.

It wasn't even a meeting room.

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 10:09:33 am »

Yeah, will wonders never cease?

My trader was busy hauling animals into cages for some reason (I guess that doesn't need any hauling skills up), and the merchants were getting ready to leave. So, I set the depot to "Anyone may trade" And, lo and behold, the Philosopher steps up to the plate and does the trading for me.

And this is the first fort I've ever had where he actually showed up, too.

I just wanted to mention that for some reason in my current game, my broker is acting perfectly.  For four years in a row, every time there is a trade to be done, my broker has stopped what he was doing (within a decent time frame) and gone straight over to the depot.    If he was storing something in a stockpile he'd finish that task first.

Every other fort I've done, I've had to set it on "anyone may trade", but not this time. (yay)