Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Toady: Much framereate improvement since I last posted! (also AA/interp sug.)  (Read 971 times)

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile

Been quite a while since I posted here... I believe almost two years maybe? Anyway two points. First and foremost, Toady, much improvement of framerate when there are many active jobs, I am one happy fox! Thank you.  Also thank you VERY MUCH for the new forums, they are MUCH better then the old ones.

Second, a suggestion: mayhap you can build in some basic anti aliasing or some better interpolating/stretching routines into DF instead of merely nearest pixel for those that have LCDs and cannot run (with good image quality) at fullscreen? (yes I am aware there is a very simple interpolation option... have you tried it? better then nearest neighbor but not much)

...I upgraded to a 22" widescreen 1680x1050 and even the largest tilesets get horribly interpolated when going fullscreen, though Ive not yet played with the advanced stretching functions in the win32 nvidia driver for LCD screens.  A nice say eagle or supereagle algorithm would be nice here, though I'm not sure what license they are released under.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 11:21:16 pm by Jaqie Fox »

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Second, a suggestion: mayhap you can build in some basic anti aliasing or some better interpolating/stretching routines into DF instead of merely nearest pixel for those that have LCDs and cannot run (with good image quality) at fullscreen? (yes I am aware there is a very simple interpolation option... have you tried it? better then nearest neighbor but not much)

If you look at the driver you should have some options under opengl for anti aliasing, this can be set to application control or overridden and forced to whatever you want. That might help you get it for the time being.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile

Been quite a while since I posted here... I believe almost two years maybe? Anyway two points. First and foremost, Toady, much improvement of framerate when there are many active jobs, I am one happy fox! Thank you.  Also thank you VERY MUCH for the new forums, they are MUCH better then the old ones.

...I upgraded to a 22" widescreen 1680x1050 and even the largest tilesets get horribly interpolated when going fullscreen, though Ive not yet played with the advanced stretching functions in the win32 nvidia driver for LCD screens.  A nice say eagle or supereagle algorithm would be nice here, though I'm not sure what license they are released under.

You must have a horrible 22" widescreen in that case. My 22" got no probs with full screen, the image quality is decent.

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile

If you look at the driver you should have some options under opengl for anti aliasing, this can be set to application control or overridden and forced to whatever you want. That might help you get it for the time being.
*sigh* why does everyone only read part of the message?
I know all about FSAA, and all about the stretching options available in the advanced section of the nvidia drivers (whether to let the card drivers and hardware or the monitor itself handle it) The problem with this is I do not wish to enable FSAA for other applications, and per-application FSAA settings simply do not work correctly with nvidia drivers even with the classic control panel hack installed (which by the way the nvidia classic control panel has many, many more options then the POS .net based new one).

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile

You must have a horrible 22" widescreen in that case. My 22" got no probs with full screen, the image quality is decent.
Nice way to waste space and quote my entire post for no reason at all there, sparky.
No, this is actually a well-reviewed monitor, the ACER AL2216W. And as I said twice now, there are two ways for lower resolutions to be stretched (three, actually, if you wish to be picky about it).

One: the nvidia driver itself will stretch and anti-alias/interpolate the pixels sending a native resolution image to the monitor. This option is actually the best to do in most cases that have no text in the accellerated app, but if text is shown it becomes fuzzy and more difficult to read. Most people don't even know the option is there in their drivers.

Two: let the monitor itself handle the stretching, which is what you are assuming is happening here, the end result of this is quite as you say, up to the monitor's stretching hardware quality. The monitor itself's quality otherwise has little to nothing to do with what type of stretching is built into it - some high end LCDs don't even have stretching, and display lower resolution apps at their native res to avoid the loss of quality with stretching altogether.

Three: set the application to the monitor's native resolution and let the application decide how to stretch itself to that resolution. This is the absolute best of all of the options if the application can do it properly as text is not interpolated (fuzzied) at all with this one, and the application itself is the only one that truly knows where text is being displayed (and text needs scaled instead of stretched to keep quality).

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile

Nice way to waste space and quote my entire post for no reason at all there, sparky.
No, this is actually a well-reviewed monitor, the ACER AL2216W.

Its quite clear that you dont know anything about hardware. ACER AL221 is a low end 22" monitor, thus its cheap like hell sparky. Its image quality is quite bad. So its quite possible that fullscreen DF looks like crap on it, I wouldnt be surprised.

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile

Oooh on to insulting me and my knowledge now.

It's actually quite a good monitor for $180 which is what I paid for it - and is well reviewed. use google to check.  Nice of you to totally ignore my whole point and instead concentrating on insulting me and my knowledge. Now I remember why I left the forums here in the first place.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile

First: Having had a widescreen monitor for a while, I have to say that they've got subtle incompatibility issues with just about everything (or maybe it was just mine.  I may be generalizing too extensively from my own experience.  But everyone does that... or at least, I do.)

Second: I'm sure that if ZSNES can use supereagle, that they don't have much in the way of licensing issues.

Third: Attention everyone in this thread:  The internet is serious business.  Please continue to take yourselves too seriously.  Do not, I repeat, do not under any circumstances "lighten up" or "chill out", as these may not be detrimental to your forum experience.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile

Oooh on to insulting me and my knowledge now.

It's actually quite a good monitor for $180 which is what I paid for it - and is well reviewed. use google to check.  Nice of you to totally ignore my whole point and instead concentrating on insulting me and my knowledge. Now I remember why I left the forums here in the first place.

Look, even tho TN panel LCDs are quite stone age now, theres a huge difference between "quality and quantity" TN panel LCDs. Youve managed to buy a very cheap one, with a pretty bad image quality. That Acer is not made for gaming, but more like for office jobs.
I didnt read your whole post I must admit, but the truth is that I never had a problem with image quality on my LCD regarding games, inlcuding DF. So I guess its the difference between our monitors, dont you think?

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It could also be because you have a different definition of ''good'.  As a hint Tormy, if you're trying to be constructive it helps if you don't talk to people like you're god's gift to humanity.  At any rate, Jaqie, My new laptop also has the antialiasing options, perhaps you may want to ensure you have the latest drivers/control panel installed, since that may be another reason why you can't find the option.
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered