Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rulroth: The Submerged Domain  (Read 1590 times)

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rulroth: The Submerged Domain
« on: October 18, 2008, 10:46:14 pm »

Hello everyone. I got bored with my previous story, so today I have an...even MORE ambitious project. I am looking to build an underwater city.

The Cradled Lance was a relatively serene kingdom and this would not do for Sodel Bekarieth; she had big plans for world domination yet found herself stifled by the overt social society of the Dwarves. She needed to escape.

The Land of Women, a place once believed to be a fountain of eternal youth for nubile elven women with a tendency for wearing next to nothing; such a belief was unfounded for aside from a few elephants and fire imps, the island itself seemed devoid of life. A volcano stood ominously at the top of the island, though were it to be tapped, it would provide an excellent source of power. Her plan was simple. Harness the volcano, and use its power for the purpose of creating a magma bridge to dam the ocean for enough time to construct a grandiose underwater city from which her Dwarves would be able to conduct intense scientific research on the ocean floor and become entirely self-contained.

Of course, she couldn't brave it alone. True, she was a bright engineer and clerical administrator but an island required muscle, blood, and guts to survive. So she assembled her team. One of her most notable recruits was a criminally disorganized Dwarf by the name of Eshtan Erithkashez, a bold and dashing axeman noted for deforesting many an Elven forest. Zom Asmelrodin proved a skilled carpenter and farmer, her work with all things natural serving to make her recruitable. Zefon Sufiralis was formerly an army cook and brewer, with some minor skill in hunting. Rakust was a skilled miner and mason, Stakud a glassmaker and furnace operator, and Kel a feared leatherworker and weaponsmith. Together, they would shape their destiny.

Their inventory was pretty standard. They brought some copper for the purpose of establishing a forge and axe, a few dogs to ward off any potential wildlife, a lot of rum and turtles, and plants for setting up a farm to sustain themselves until they were able to commence with constructing the main city. Some leather was brought for bags as well, to ease the construction of gathering sand for the massive forges intended.

They eventually found their way to the beach, settling an area above. There were 5 elephants and 3 fire imps spotted, as well as untolds amount of fish. So they immediately got to work building a basic shelter; Sodel had notified some promenant members of the Merchant's Guild about her enterprise and mentioned she was willing to conduct business for the time being, neglecting to mention her true mission aside from setting up a single fishing town.

Two weeks later, basic shelter had been established. Beds and farms had been established, as well as a mine for Sandstone. Sodel was pleased although she did wish for better chambers...the time would come. First, that volcano would have to be harnessed for its power...

To be continued. Suggestions?

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
Re: Rulroth: The Submerged Domain
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 10:57:11 pm »

If your map freezes, do your aquatic construction in winter. Make sure you have way more doors and hatch covers than you'll ever possibly need. And make the underwater stuff out of glass, so that the dwarves can see out of it 'to study the aquatic wildlife'.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 11:26:53 pm »

Build a large lava holding chamber above the area you want to place the fort in.  Make the floors out of lava proof retractable bridge, and make sure you can seal of the holding chamber once it's full.  Pull a lever connected to the bridge-floors, and you have one full z-level of the fort made of obsidian.  no need for damming the ocean and digging it out again.  You can also make parts of the feeding tube out three-tile wide retractable bridges surrounded by walls to make an underground entrance tube.  And make sure all mechanisms are lava proof.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 11:32:51 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 11:58:46 pm »

There's a large bauxite reservoir thankfully so it's going to be helpful in that regards. I'm going to build several Perpetual Motion Machine reactions. The sole entrance to the base will be an extended glass bridge out to a guarded tunnel, and sealed by double airlocks.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 11:22:26 am »

Once quarters were set up, the next phase of Sodel's plan was ready to commence.

The Rage of Weasels, a volcano that housed many a fire imp. The potential for disaster should it erupt was immense, yet Sodel had plans to channel it's power for her purposes.

By digging tunnels to move the pressurized magma through several planned tunnels, one would be able to channel the magma into a pool to power several glass furnaces and a kiln. These furnaces would output enough green glass to set up a ring of screw pumps to push back the sea, and clear glass blocks to enable the actual construction of the dome.

In the meantime, the sandstone mining was going well. A well was under construction for water desalinated through a pump. Things were going well.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 11:27:43 am »

You're pumping out the sea?  That could take a while.

But it would be awesome. :)
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 11:33:13 am »

The plan is to build a large glass dock of sorts, made out of glass. Set several windmills on top, each windmill supporting 3 pumps (all the windmills share the same axle/gear system), and slowly pushing back the waves long enough to set up the epic construction project. Thankfully, only red sand forms aquifers in this map, and thankfully, the first part of the ocean is only one level deep, and the rest only 2 levels or so; once the game is set, I'm going to flood the world.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 09:35:38 pm »

Minor Update:

The 26th of Slate was when it all changed. In mining out the sandstone underneath the beach for the well and mechanism construction, the miners were fortunate to find a vein of Bauxite. This would make channelling the Magma an easier task.

Aside from this revelation, life went on as normal on the Rage of Weasels. The final set of dining hall tables was crafted, leaving Zom free to craft cages for capturing a breeding pair of elephants. Sodel meanwhile did whatever she could to directly help set up shore, figuring updating stock records a task of minor importance for the time being; between caging vermin that were plaguing the food supplies, or helping mine, she did her best to lead by example.