Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you for or against units that can dig to your fortress ?

For !
Against !

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35

Author Topic: [For or Against] Tunnelers units  (Read 61566 times)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
Re: [For or Against] Tunnelers units
« Reply #480 on: February 28, 2011, 07:06:20 pm »

That's why dorfs should be doing all the really heavy tunneling...

Lungfish already came up with the perfect miracle solution, in my opinion.
I feel it solves a ton of problems that keep coming up, in a reasonable, controllable, and very fair way.

Goblins and such could maybe cut through soft stone, given time and opportunity, and antmen shouldn't ever be stopped by soil, but granite and comparable should be the province of dorfs. And possibly, maybe, maybe, MAYBE some kind of HFS, just to make it extra-spicy.

I also think that constructed metal (bronze, and maybe some kind of phosphor iron) walls should be extremely difficult to cut through, even by seiging dorfs.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 07:14:15 pm by SirHoneyBadger »
For they would be your masters.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: February 28, 2011, 08:35:18 pm »

I figured that dwarves dig so fast because they have an invisible infrastructure.  They are assumed to have full control of the site for the most part, so they can usually do abstract things like "haul abstract debris to the surface / offsite / whatever WITHOUT being shot by angry dwarves".  I mean...maybe that's taking abstraction a bit far, but it seems reasonable to me that regardless of what race you are, being "in control" of a site should give you faster digging speed than not being in control.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

EvilMoogle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: February 28, 2011, 09:42:55 pm »

Hmm..  That brings up a good question.  Given that this depends on goblin civilians, will we see:

"Goblin cancels task: dig; interrupted by Dwarf?"

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: February 28, 2011, 09:52:07 pm »

How about tunneling without the tunnels? Magic dirt displacement?

At worst, it'll leave a "shifted dirt" tile, or some such.
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: February 28, 2011, 10:58:47 pm »

I figured that dwarves dig so fast because they have an invisible infrastructure.  They are assumed to have full control of the site for the most part, so they can usually do abstract things like "haul abstract debris to the surface / offsite / whatever WITHOUT being shot by angry dwarves".  I mean...maybe that's taking abstraction a bit far, but it seems reasonable to me that regardless of what race you are, being "in control" of a site should give you faster digging speed than not being in control.

I'm not sure if the "invisible infrastructure" part of this makes a whole lot of sense, atleast to me, but the rest is a very good point: If you control a site, you should naturally be able to tunnel faster and better, and even move across the controlled land faster, because of your familiarity with the territory.

And yeah, maybe seigers also have to deal with removal of dirt and stone waste, that our dwarfs currently magic out of existence, or whatever.

jimi12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: March 01, 2011, 01:05:15 pm »

I don't understand all of the complaints about tunnelers ruining stone walls. I think a fort would look way cooler after the remnats of past seiges remained to remind the dwarves of the ever present danger of attack and the strength the dwarves muster. I think though that tunneling should be limited to trolls or perhaps some sort of seige equipment so we dont have 30 tunneling goblins. However I think all materials should be able to be tunneled, with stone and metal taking much, much more time to bore through.
Universal tunneling makes fortresses obsolete. Seriously, why bother to build a fortress if any goblin with a pick can crack it? I hope we get stone of different hardness, and material requirements to mine it (eg. steel picks for the hardest stones). That would solve a lot already. I'm of the opinion that only dwarves should be a real threat when it comes to mining through rock. Humans and goblins should do well enough to mine surface ore, but otherwise their digging is restricted to soil (which will still be a threat to your food supply, so that's really a big headache already).

Really, just changing the scale of digging speed should be sufficient...  If it takes the gobbo's a year to dig into your fortress, and you aren't prepared for them to break through (or, more realistically, flooding the tunnel)...

meh

This makes sense. It still leaves dwarves the unique ability of digging through stone at 1000x faster than other races and it would provide goblins opportunity to be able to attack if you wall yourself in. I would assume too that if you built a bronze wall and it's taking the goblins a year to bore through, the rest of the non-digging goblins would be attempting something else (ladders, seige towers, battering ram) that would hopefully work before the tunneling is complete. This way tunneling really is a last resort.

idgarad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 01, 2011, 06:02:09 pm »

The simplest thing is to give another option similar to "Smooth Walls" as "Reinforce Wall" that can't be dug through. Problem solved as the look and feel crowd can just Reinforce their outer walls. Problem solved. Next thread please

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 01, 2011, 06:05:18 pm »

The simplest thing is to give another option similar to "Smooth Walls" as "Reinforce Wall" that can't be dug through. Problem solved as the look and feel crowd can just Reinforce their outer walls. Problem solved. Next thread please

How would you reinforce a wall?

idgarad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 01, 2011, 06:10:39 pm »

How would you reinforce a wall?

The same way I smooth a wall.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 01, 2011, 06:40:15 pm »

I think the question was how do you do it game-wise.  To which my response is, with the dwarven equivalent of rebar or something.  So, you use SOME metal, without replacing the entire wall with a giant block of it.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: March 01, 2011, 07:25:35 pm »

Alternatively you could build a fortification and start shooting at them while they try to dig...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 01, 2011, 09:30:03 pm »

How about just allowing some units to fly over gaps and traps on the back of other beasts,maybe when magic is added allow some sort of external magic attack.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 02, 2011, 02:59:29 am »

Using metal to fortify and hold together constructions has plenty of historical basis. It was done everywhere from Machu Picchu, to the Roman Colosseum.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: March 02, 2011, 08:32:16 am »

Using metal to fortify and hold together constructions has plenty of historical basis. It was done everywhere from Machu Picchu, to the Roman Colosseum.

I don't hate the idea, I was just questioning the 'just like smoothing walls' implimentation.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: March 02, 2011, 06:43:27 pm »

Yeah, I don't much like that, either. It's too much of an oversimplification, and wouldn't require any additional, expensive materials, unlike reinforcing with bronze, lead, phos iron, etc.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35