Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress in Runescape  (Read 22658 times)

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress in Runescape
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2010, 12:59:22 am »

I wasted enough of my life to get to level 46 on Runescape.
Time that you enjoy wasting is not wasted.
Now, if you played it even though it was boring, then it was wasted.
I thought I was having fun, but I wasn't. Then I woke up one morning and realized why: all the people were jerks.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 01:01:00 am »

If you played it even though it was boring, then you're an idiot.
That's not a very nice thing to say.

Hmmmm.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 03:01:39 am »

I played it for years, because it was the only MMO with a deep crafting system. To mine for ore you actually need to go into caves and quarries, not just wander through forests and look out for lumps of copper ore poking up through the ground. Even now I don't think there are any games that go into the same kind of detail (with the exception of DF, of course).

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2010, 04:34:01 am »

Runescape has a couple of good ideas and the likes, but !!damn!!, so much grinding! The game basically revolves around grinding, it's terrible :(

Pathos

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2010, 07:45:25 am »

I played it for years, because it was the only MMO with a deep crafting system. To mine for ore you actually need to go into caves and quarries, not just wander through forests and look out for lumps of copper ore poking up through the ground. Even now I don't think there are any games that go into the same kind of detail (with the exception of DF, of course).

Ultima Online, Project Entropia, pre-NGE Star Wars Galaxies, Saga of Ryzom. =p

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2010, 08:51:49 am »

The game basically revolves around grinding, it's terrible :(
Boxscape: The Bottening?

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2010, 11:40:23 am »

I remember grinding for hours to get money so I could grind another skill faster.  :P

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2010, 12:21:59 pm »

The grinding is especially bad with the fact that to "level up", you have to train each of your combat skills* individually, so unless there's specifically a combat skill XP reward, doing random quests won't make you better at killing things.***

*For those unfamiliar with RS: Attack power, defence***, etc. are as much skills as mining, crafting, etc****. Your combat level (which is what other players see when they mouse over you) is determined by these skills.

**Which could be argued as a good thing, since you actually have to train in order to be a better fighter. Also, one thing I like is that you get XP every hit, not just when you kill things.

***It's made by a British company

****Note: you are not limited in the number of skills you can have at once, unlike, say, WoW.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2010, 12:28:21 pm »

Yeah, grinding sucks. :(
It's what I hate most about Runescape!
Now if you'll excuse me, I have to spend a couple hours raising ambusher so I can sneak around killing Elves.

The grinding is especially bad with the fact that to "level up", you have to train each of your combat skills* individually, so unless there's specifically a combat skill XP reward, doing random quests won't make you better at killing things.***

*For those unfamiliar with RS: Attack power, defence***, etc. are as much skills as mining, crafting, etc****. Your combat level (which is what other players see when they mouse over you) is determined by these skills.

**Which could be argued as a good thing, since you actually have to train in order to be a better fighter. Also, one thing I like is that you get XP every hit, not just when you kill things.

***It's made by a British company

****Note: you are not limited in the number of skills you can have at once, unlike, say, WoW.

Yeah, I agree, random quests that don't do anything and training combat skills individually also suck horribly.
Ah well.  I just got a quest to kill a dragon in DF adventure mode.  I'm going to go fight after I get my sword, armor, and shield skills up a bit.
I hope Toady put in quest rewards!

I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2010, 12:47:10 pm »

Yeah, I agree, random quests that don't do anything and training combat skills individually also suck horribly.

At least most quests have a reward of some kind. And there's the fact that Runescape quests are actual "quests", not "errands" or "fragments of story that we require you to do a chain of in order to get to the end". (I wonder how many quests WoW would have if it's various quest chains were condensed into single RS-like quests.)

Also, I like that getting "max level" is not a requirement for you to enjoy most of the content that gets released.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2010, 01:11:52 pm »

At least most quests have a reward of some kind. And there's the fact that Runescape quests are actual "quests", not "errands" or "fragments of story that we require you to do a chain of in order to get to the end". (I wonder how many quests WoW would have if it's various quest chains were condensed into single RS-like quests.)

Also, I like that getting "max level" is not a requirement for you to enjoy most of the content that gets released.
Definately. Some of the really hard quests can take you hours to solve all the puzzles IIRC. And don't even try doing a runescape quest chain in a single day.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2010, 01:17:44 pm »

Be fair here... Pre-NGE SWG you had to find deposits (I forget how right now, it was a tool or something) and build a machine to extract them... not quite the same.  You were essentially being forced to make the node, then mine it. ;)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2010, 07:07:08 am »

Actually..Project entropia now called entropia universe I think. Whichever one...it got upgraded to the new cryengine or something.
If a elf dies in a forest and only dwarfs are around to see it does anyone care?

CrackFile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2010, 12:06:51 pm »

I noticed this when doing that quest this morning. Kinda funny, especially since my RS main is named "Dem Dorfs"

Also the creators of RS had hinted that there would be a new update involving a ruby dragon. Lots of people thought it would be a new monster to fight, but I speculated on the Runescape forums that it would be a model dragon made out of ruby by a craftsdwarf in some upcoming quest. I totally called it :D
Decency and Logic have been struck down
Pages: 1 [2]