Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Adamantine bow?  (Read 7796 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Adamantine bow?
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2009, 12:11:19 am »

Wow guys.  We have the most comprehensive list of adamantine's properties that anyone could ask for.  Note that all the elasticities have zero next to them.

That's the adamantine example there, but I don't know what affects what.

As it mentions in the stone material template raw (I think that's the one), 4 of those categories don't matter yet.  The high impact and shear numbers will make it resistant to all attacks and also cutting attacks specifically.  In game terms, the yield=fracture means that if you manage to hit the adamantine hard enough, it won't dent but will fracture immediately.  I don't think the low elasticity (which is probably actually something like yield strain, but I found inverting the moduli convenient -- I think it's strain with scale 1000 times the percent deformation at yield) will matter for items at this point, as it only is used so far in determining some skin/soft tissue like behaviors for attacks on creatures.  It also makes the current notion of adamantine thread something that needs some explaining.  Since I threw the numbers in haphazardly without considering that, one can now start to come up with some sort of weird hooking together sewing thingy that the dwarves do -- either that or some miracle chemistry they do that lets them get around the raw mechanics.  Since the elasticity number doesn't matter for adamantine items, perhaps it could also be changed, but I currently like the starkness of it.  In terms of adamantine weapons, the edge and shear properties mean it will be able to slice through steel for example quite easily, even though the low density means that it won't be effective in bludeoning weapons.  Normal cutting weapons won't be able to slice through your adamantine armor, but you can still get knocked around.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2009, 11:08:36 am »

Yep there we go... Adamantine doesn't bend it only breaks... Much closer to a gemstone then a metal.

It is also terrible for blunt since it is so light. So next release (if it was updated) a wood crossbow would probably be better then an adamantine one in terms of meleee.

So it has to use Watch technology for Socks.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 11:12:04 am by Neonivek »

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2009, 11:32:24 am »

In case you guys are wondering, adamantium is made out of diamonds and such. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adamantium
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2009, 11:36:18 am »

It depends Yanlin... sometimes Adamantium IS diamond :D

But for the sake of Dwarf Fortress is it a material (treated as a metal...) that has absolutely no flexability (0) and that is many times stronger then even the hardest metals present in the game and a molecular edge.

Interestingly... This could mean that harvesting Adamantine could shred your pick to bits.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 11:41:14 am by Neonivek »

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2009, 02:25:05 pm »

I'd assume clothes from it are made like chainmail. Would be uncomfortable to wear that shit without some stuff under it.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2009, 02:27:29 pm »

Now see, this doesn't make sense.  Any metal thin enough should be able to act like thread, or at least a wire.  If it breaks before bending, then it is not really a metal, just some pseudo-metal made out of other junk.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2009, 02:29:18 pm »

Yes. But this is is a fantasy game where dwarves fend off goblin sieges and sell lead dishware to eleves whilist fighting HFS. Not to mention the other crap you can do.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2009, 02:31:02 pm »

Not to mention the other crap you can do.
Not all of which is intentional, of course.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Vincent

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you really butcher this kitty?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2009, 03:39:45 pm »

Not to mention the other crap you can do.
Not all of which is intentional, of course.

Cue adamantine bow.
[CREATURE:VINCENT]
   [INTELLIGENT]
   [liKES_CATGIRLS]
   [NOCTURNAL]

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2009, 08:21:54 pm »

Two tiny simple thoughts for all the people debating the properties of a fictional metal.

First a real material that doesn't bend much before shattering.  Glass.  Yet when drawn into a neat cylindrical fiber it is very capable of bending, and also has a higher tensile strength than steel.

Second, kevlar.  A very real fabric that bends, cuts, and molds easily.  When a significant impulse is applied it becomes rigid.  This form of instant rigidity is what allows it to stop bullets.  For those that don't quite know Physics, impulse refers to either side of the equation Ft=mv.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2009, 01:56:47 am »

I notice in detailing what adamantine can and can't do, no one has mentioned mechanisms yet.
You can make mechanisms out of wafer-metals.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2009, 01:18:28 pm »

[INORGANIC:ADAMANTINE]
   [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:METAL_TEMPLATE]
   [STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:adamantine]
   [STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:molten adamantine]
   [STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:boiling adamantine]
   [DISPLAY_COLOR:3:3:1]
   [VALUE:300]
   [SPEC_HEAT:7500]
   [MELTING_POINT:25000]
   [BOILING_POINT:50000]
   [WEAPON][WEAPON_RANGED][AMMO][DIGGER][ARMOR][ANVIL][ANY_USE]
   [WAFERS]
   [SOLID_DENSITY:200]
   [liQUID_DENSITY:2600]
   [MOLAR_MASS:55845]
   [IMPACT_YIELD:5000000]
   [IMPACT_FRACTURE:5000000]
   [IMPACT_ELASTICITY:0]
   [COMPRESSIVE_YIELD:5000000]
   [COMPRESSIVE_FRACTURE:5000000]
   [COMPRESSIVE_ELASTICITY:0]
   [TENSILE_YIELD:5000000]
   [TENSILE_FRACTURE:5000000]
   [TENSILE_ELASTICITY:0]
   [TORSION_YIELD:5000000]
   [TORSION_FRACTURE:5000000]
   [TORSION_ELASTICITY:0]
   [SHEAR_YIELD:5000000]
   [SHEAR_FRACTURE:5000000]
   [SHEAR_ELASTICITY:0]
   [BENDING_YIELD:5000000]
   [BENDING_FRACTURE:5000000]
   [BENDING_ELASTICITY:0]
   [MAX_EDGE:100000]
   [DEEP]
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned just how AWESOME having all these properties that we can change is going to be.
Unless we don't know what they mean.  Then it's hell.

Seriously.  New raws are kickass.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2009, 10:02:55 pm »

That wood pref/outdoor farming thing is... interesting.

Maybe I'll be able to work those penguins in after all.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Richards

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2009, 06:13:27 pm »

Isn't an elastic metal good for weapons? The elastic potential that builds up when you swing a hammer is released upon striking a target and hence applies more force than if you had this mythical inelastic hammer that only had as much force as you could swing it with. Plus making a sword/hammer brittle isn't a favourable attribute. The ASP tactical baton is an example of a weapon where elastic potential is used to an advantage in delivering more force. I wonder how the DF engine treats all these variables. Perhaps it doesn't take elasticity into account in the swing and subtracts it from the impact instead regarding elasticity as a source of energy loss upon impact. Does someone have insight on this?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 06:18:23 pm by Richards »

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2009, 07:35:13 pm »

Does someone have insight on this?
Only Toady One, as the DF engine that actually takes that stuff into account is only in the source code on his PC.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5