Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: [Beta-Relz] MMO - Metals and Minerals Overhaul  (Read 31250 times)

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Beta-Relz] MMO - Metals and Minerals Overhaul
« Reply #105 on: March 02, 2010, 10:12:12 am »

.7z?!?

Damn it!

Ubuntu Linux doesn't handle that by default, I'll have to go looking to see if I can get it to work.

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 02, 2010, 10:17:53 am »

.7z?!?

Damn it!

Ubuntu Linux doesn't handle that by default, I'll have to go looking to see if I can get it to work.

http://www.7-zip.org/

There is a linux port, though I've never used it. I can easily compress it in another format to send to you if you like, just send me a note with your Email and preferred format.

Rochndil, who likes 7z better than zip or rar...
Build an Elf a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Drown an Elf in magma, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 02, 2010, 10:28:18 am »

It was far less painless to get .7z  uncompressor than the .rar uncompressor. I didn't have to do anything beyond Applications > Add/Remove > Click on 7z > Auto Install. Now it is just a right click option.

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 02, 2010, 11:00:32 am »

It was far less painless to get .7z  uncompressor than the .rar uncompressor. I didn't have to do anything beyond Applications > Add/Remove > Click on 7z > Auto Install. Now it is just a right click option.

Cool.

Hopefully the Excel spreadsheets port over properly. I know OO doesn't always handle things correctly, and I did NOT test them in OO or any other program besides Excel 2000. The mod will work fine without them of course, but significant documentary information is included in those files.

Rochndil, who does a LITTLE linux administration as part of his job...

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 02, 2010, 11:27:13 am »

Ok just from looking through the raws I can see there are things I would have done differently. The Alluvial Sand reactions for starters.

Lots of different types of stones are made from SiO2 (aka Quartz), sand is SiO2 (or Feldspar), glass is made from SiO2. Any source of SiO2 can be turned into glass, for example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flint_glass (though this is a type of crystal glass, if the lead wasn't included it would make normal glass). It would be much better to make a Reaction Class:Quartz and use it in your existing reactions (and possibly add some for lead or titanium based crystal glass, though for that one I'd recommend the product being rock crystals), it would be a bit more work to add the reaction class to the main SiO2 stones (flint, chert, quartzite, obsidian, some sandstone, some felsite, some rhyolite, some basalt, some granite, many of the ornamental gems, the list goes on as it is one of the two most common minerals on the planet).

What is magerkohle? Presumably some type of burnable stone (along with about a dozen others but I can't find a listing for it on Wikipedia, Google suggests it is just the German word for coal).

The reaction to turn Flay Ash to Bricks has BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:FLYASH as both a reagent and a product, presumably that is a cut and paste editing error.

I mostly agree with the removal of the reactions to create alloys straight from ores but there are some exceptions http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calamine_brass, Arsenic Bronze (some theoretical ideas regarding the melting/boiling points, not that it is in DF) and any alloy coming from an ore where both alloying metals are present.

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 02, 2010, 02:02:01 pm »

Thanks for the feedback!

Ok just from looking through the raws I can see there are things I would have done differently. The Alluvial Sand reactions for starters.

Lots of different types of stones are made from SiO2 (aka Quartz), sand is SiO2 (or Feldspar), glass is made from SiO2. Any source of SiO2 can be turned into glass, for example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flint_glass (though this is a type of crystal glass, if the lead wasn't included it would make normal glass). It would be much better to make a Reaction Class:Quartz and use it in your existing reactions (and possibly add some for lead or titanium based crystal glass, though for that one I'd recommend the product being rock crystals), it would be a bit more work to add the reaction class to the main SiO2 stones (flint, chert, quartzite, obsidian, some sandstone, some felsite, some rhyolite, some basalt, some granite, many of the ornamental gems, the list goes on as it is one of the two most common minerals on the planet).

I agree with what you said, but that wasn't my purpose here. Sand (as it is currently implemented) is a rather broken resource. ONE single tile of sand provides an INFINITE quantity of, practically everything. BUT, on the maps where you have none, sometimes you REALLY need it (like for moody dwarves and un-drowned nobles). Alluvial sand is a means to have just a few items of glass on maps where no "sand" is present, and even allows for the resource to be gained through trade. You can create the most commonly needed items: raw green glass, raw clear glass, and clear glass vials. From raw glass you can cut glass gems and build windows. This is a gameplay mod more than a realism mod, and the MMO overall does contain both types.

Your suggestion could certainly be implemented, and would allow for conversion of various stone resources into glass, which would have advantages (like getting rid of stone!). The down side is that you can't convert stone to raw glass, and then raw glass to much of anything else. A reaction has to be written for EACH end product (as far as glass is concerned), and you can't just convert (maybe in '10) stone into a filled sandbag. It is a bit of a pain.

What is magerkohle? Presumably some type of burnable stone (along with about a dozen others but I can't find a listing for it on Wikipedia, Google suggests it is just the German word for coal).

As mentioned in the documentation, Magerkohle is something Deej put into his Soil Is Fun mod. I removed a number of his coal/fuel types, since they were so numerous they were crowding out each other and making fuel scarcity meaningless. I left Magerkohle in because I thought the name was kinda cool and it fit in the hierarchy of mineral fuels as a sort of super-coal. The various underground fuel sources require different quantities of resources and fuel to produce MORE fuel, as described in detail in the docs.

The reaction to turn Flay Ash to Bricks has BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:FLYASH as both a reagent and a product, presumably that is a cut and paste editing error.

Actually, this is not an error. Since this is a FUEL reaction, there is an ash product. Unfortunately, due to limitations of the engine, I couldn't arrange things quite right. Flyash (coal ash) is created by all reactions in the MMO that require a fuel input. This is incorrect on two counts. 1. Reactions that use CHARCOAL as a fuel source should produce wood ash, and 2. Magma smelter reactions, that consume no fuel, should also produce no ash. Unfortunately, I can't control things that accurately - I tried testing different reaction sets for coke and charcoal, but it didn't work properly. Hopefully things will work better in '10!

I mostly agree with the removal of the reactions to create alloys straight from ores but there are some exceptions http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calamine_brass, Arsenic Bronze (some theoretical ideas regarding the melting/boiling points, not that it is in DF) and any alloy coming from an ore where both alloying metals are present.

This was done for two reasons. First, I wanted to simplify the reactions list, and it seemed pretty silly to have half the smelting reactions listed twice, once for the ore and once for the bar. Second, this was a gameplay change. Some of the ore-to-alloy reactions cheated by producing more than they should. In addition, it really makes a lot more sense to be alloying from bars of (presumably) known purity than from a highly-variable source like ore. I mean yes, dwarves have an intuitive feel for these things, but still. :)

I also wanted to lengthen the production cycle just a bit. Smelting, alloying, and forging are complex, dirty, and time-consuming processes, and DF made them a bit too easy for me. Adding in the waste system (that you suggested!) also helps. Now you have to spend time cleaning up the mess that all that heavy industry produces, but I put in some additional reactions to help turn that mess into something actually fairly useful (and based on real science).

One additional thing I tried to do in this mod was make it POSSIBLE (if not comfortable) to get a game going on an aquifer soil site. Soil layers should now have a small but useful quantity of the essential resources (fuel, stone, ore, sand) and with the ability to burn bones and skulls, flux. You couldn't make a LOT of steel, but you can make it.

It's quite possible that folks will disagree with my design decisions, and that's cool. If you like what I did but not HOW I did it, feel free to take it and re-work it for your own use. That's how I ended up with this mod in the first place. :)

Rochndil, happy to discuss the details...

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 03, 2010, 03:40:44 pm »

Release! W00T! Thanks Rochndil. I can't actually try it till the weekend (and even then ... work keeps nibbling at my free time), but once I do try it, I'll report back.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 03, 2010, 05:54:00 pm »

All comments and feedback will be cheerfully accepted. I know *I* like it, what remains to be seen is whether anybody else does. :)

Rochndil, busy re-building his DF mod-mix for an extended test...

godisdead132

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven B.L.T. Beer Liquor and Tantrums
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 03, 2010, 10:41:58 pm »

you could also add tool steel (high alloy steel) chrome nickel manganese molybdenum cobalt mithrel and iron it would be great for weapons but bad for armor due to the high hardness but non ductility like W2 grade steel (one of my favorites (yes im a metalurgical nerd))
may your lånem nentuk & zodost i hope your rÜsh is dezrem & serkib
1. Start DF
2. Mainline Whiskey untill it all makes sense (even dwarven behavior)
3. Pass Out.

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 04, 2010, 08:53:12 am »

Good morning!

you could also add tool steel (high alloy steel) chrome nickel manganese molybdenum cobalt mithrel and iron it would be great for weapons but bad for armor due to the high hardness but non ductility like W2 grade steel (one of my favorites (yes im a metalurgical nerd))

I've got 6 steel alloys in the mod currently, including chrome-moly, cobalt, and dwarven (mithril alloy). More could be added of course, but after a while it gets hard to distinguish them all. :)

Rochndil, who is also a bit of a metals nerd...

godisdead132

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven B.L.T. Beer Liquor and Tantrums
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 04, 2010, 06:43:21 pm »

instaid of listing the alloy composition you could just create grades low medium and high alloy steel (or any other clasification system you want to use) so there would be basic carbon steel and two or three other grades alloys that are each better than the last but require more metals to make (basic carbon steel attack=133 defence=133 grade 1 at=150 df=150 and so on)
may your lånem nentuk & zodost i hope your rÜsh is dezrem & serkib
1. Start DF
2. Mainline Whiskey untill it all makes sense (even dwarven behavior)
3. Pass Out.

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 05, 2010, 10:22:49 am »

Good morning!

instaid of listing the alloy composition you could just create grades low medium and high alloy steel (or any other clasification system you want to use) so there would be basic carbon steel and two or three other grades alloys that are each better than the last but require more metals to make (basic carbon steel attack=133 defence=133 grade 1 at=150 df=150 and so on)

OK, I know EXACTLY where you're coming from. To understand the difference, I'll need to wander just a bit of the history of metallurgical standards. You may already be familiar with this information, but others may not.

Back in the day, when steel was actually forged by blacksmiths, the specific alloy composition really mattered, since the alloy and trace elements had a significant effect on forging performance and process. Standards were put in place by the SAE to describe the various types of steel BY ALLOY, as summarized here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_steel_grades.

As time passed, the blacksmith all but disappeared, and with his passing, the vast majority of steel fabrication was migrated to cold-process. Cold forming relies on a very different set of performance characteristics, and specific alloy/chemical composition is much less significant. Hence, the NEW and current standards, as described here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_grades, which "grade" steel by performance specifications (tensile strength, ductility, shear strength, etc).

I still prefer to think of, and refer to, steel using the old system, since I'm also a hobby blacksmith in another life. The problem is, as you indicated above, the new system refers to steels by performance characteristics, NOT composition, and that can cause big problems when you go to the forge. Since our friends the dwarves forge everything, it makes sense to me to work from an alloy perspective, and not a performance one. I know a lot of smiths who HATE having to buy A-2 steel, since much of it is recycled, and no two batches forge quite the same (since the alloy composition is all over the map, and that's allowable, as long as it meets the grade standard performance characteristics).

You're welcome to disagree of course, and if you like feel free to take the matgloss.metal and reaction.standard files from my mod and re-work them to align more closely with the new "type" system. Enjoy your A-2, but give me some good ol' 1090 and I'll be a much happier anvil-pounder. :)

Rochndil, who knows a little about too many things...

SocietalEclipse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 06, 2010, 01:25:03 am »

Feel free to add these if you like.  I am adding these lesser zinc ores to my RAWs for more variety available from trade.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphalerite
http://biomine.skelleftea.se/html/BioMine/Hydrometallurgy/Hydrometallurgy%2012.pdf
http://www.mindat.org/photo-48104.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smithsonite
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemimorphite
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wurtzite

It sounds like all sphalerite except for the purest gemstone varieties have iron impurities.  The PDF mentions hematite as a byproduct of marmatite but I chose bar iron for simplicity's sake.

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 06, 2010, 08:45:59 am »

Thanks for the useful info, SocietalEclipse! I'll definitely put some of these into the next version. I've also got some tileset changes to make, and one or two tiles to draw/redraw.

Rochndil, about 80% of the way merging raws for a test run...

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 07, 2010, 06:02:06 am »

I've done a lot of ore modding but I think some of these Zinc ores are questionable.  Smithsonite and Hemimorphite have the same occurrence habits and appearance and were collectively called "Calamine" until the 1800's,  I tend to favor period names (their a lot easier to remember) and to combine anything which is functionally equivalent and these two clearly are functionally identical, so much so that Calamine is still used to this day to describe them.  Also wiki states they should be occurring in Galena (and other lead ores) and Malacite as well as in Sphalerite.

Wurtzite and Marmatite are both just altered crystallization's of Sphalerite and are chemically identical and will occur with Sphalerite and smelt the same so should be considered Sphalerite for all practical purposes.  Though the fact they occur in pyrite and calcopyrite would justify including small Sphalerite clusters their to represent them.

Wikipedia lists Willemite as a minor zinc ore found in limestone which could justify its inclusion if more Zinc ores are desired.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willemite
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10