Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Today One...ever played UnReal World?  (Read 4801 times)

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Today One...ever played UnReal World?
« on: October 12, 2006, 04:03:00 am »

Reason for asking is cause if you haven't maybe you should try it out. That game has a hellish lot of features which you might be interested in...

Unreal World

It's basically a survival game set in the iron age in a fantasy-like version of Finland.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Today One...ever played UnReal World?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 05:37:00 am »

It's nice to see another game with the level of Dwarf Fortress in existence, but...

Purchase...
Necessary?
And only registered users (people who've bought the game) can post in their forums?!

Wow, that just totally killed any chance of me liking this game or it's creator.

Let this be a lesson to ANYONE. You make something, you decide from day 1 wether or not it's going to be free or paid for, and if it's the latter, you'd better be F!ing sure that it's worth the price you assign to it, and worth the hassle fending off all the pirates; and not make it some joke $1.00 US -- that only gives the pirates more incentive to do what they do, as it's viewed as a annoyance isntead of a reasonable price. Also, no switching. You make it free, it STAYS free. Alot of a games' community will basically commit suicide whenever the free game they're following turns into a pay to play game. Also, if you make it cost money, you keep it that way, otherwise people WILL feel cheated, and WILL take some form of revenge. (imagine buying Episode 1 for HL2, then when Ep2 comes out, Ep1 is made free.)

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Arawak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 06:27:00 am »

Mech I agree with you totally about the forums.
But as far as I remember its been shareware.

Its relativly cheap compared to its original price of 30 dollars.
And you CAN post but only in technichal help.

Also you can probably start a petition to the creator.
(sami marrene i think last name is close)
Because he only did all that because he SAW people stealing his game (partially) and ill start it up for you in the technichal help forum   :)

EDIT: I emailed him about it and no reply as of now.
Also it is in its first windows (not dos versions) and many features are being
re-added
misc fact is its about 16 year old project (1990) and is just as deep as df
(ive played before and homicidal wives are fun ,and it does have location based damage)

[ October 12, 2006: Message edited by: Arawak ]

acking = in game steroids...
"when beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean''s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember, that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang.

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 07:51:00 am »

Play the demo then?

And I didn't know that the forum had changed to payers only...course I've also paid for the game (more than well worth the price btw) - maybe that's why.

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 08:33:00 am »

quote:
Play the demo then?

What for ?
A shareware game, which DF is easily deeper of, with ugly graphic tiles to boot...thanks, but no, thanks.

Arawak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 10:01:00 am »

Karnot dont prejudge

first off many rougelikes have ugly graphic tiles INCLUDING dwarf fortress so thats a given

deeper? sure but in a different way.

urw is easier to learn and deep but its like dwarf fortress adventure mode like its meant to be simple and fun with deepness you cant notice.
Even has the text based commands...

But still dwarf fortress is
"when you have dug a hole and you think you cant get any deeper gods hands you a shovel" deep.

Anyway at least its a cheaper shareware game Ive seen some upwards 50 dollars that ****.

What tarn and sami should do is mix the games and knowledge together.
but that would take a miracle about.

Edit: toady its in the # (advanced menu)
ok karnot you jsut plain hate the game then

Also demo is the full version with a 10 day limit on how long you live witch is about an hour.

[ October 12, 2006: Message edited by: Arawak ]

acking = in game steroids...
"when beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean''s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember, that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang.

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 10:26:00 am »

I dont PREjudge, i played UW, and its uglier than a mortal sin.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 11:06:00 am »

I've tried it before, and it's quite detailed, but overall I thought it was dull, since it's not my kind of game.  I just tried it again, and people were randomly wandering randomly around a village...  not sure if you can talk to them in the unregistered version.  It wasn't in the list of commands as far as I could tell.  I guess the movement system bugs me too, since it removes the notion of a neck.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

ElectricEel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 12:55:00 pm »

Thanks to the OP for reminding me of this game. I has been quite a while since I last played it; and as the price has been reduced to just 5€ and I have more money as well, I am going to buy it.

quote:
Not sure if you can talk to them in the unregistered version.
Talking is found in 'extended commands', behind the '#' key. AFAIK, the unregistered version includes all the features of the full game, expect some of the starting scenarios, and the 'Advanced Adventures' game course (though you don't really get to try out some of them, due to the time limit).

quote:
I guess the movement system bugs me too, since it removes the notion of a neck.
I am not familiar with any definition of 'neck' that makes sense in this context. Could you clarify?

[Edit: Grammar]

[ October 13, 2006: Message edited by: ElectricEel ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 01:38:00 pm »

I mean, the half-view is sold on realism (in the in-game text), but in reality, if you are in any kind of danger, you'd get a nearly 360 degree view by looking in all direction at the same time as you move or even run, by turning your head on your neck.  If it forces you to turn your whole body and spend game time just to see, it isn't realistic, and if you have to do it manually, even if it doesn't take time, it's cumbersome -- this isn't a flight sim where head-turning fits a bit better.  It might be a fun game mechanic for some people, even in this context, but I find the standard 360 view more realistic.  I have done a bit with this -- if you fight in one direction in adventure mode now, you'll become focused on that direction and more susceptible to attacks from behind.  Later, if you have low general combat skills (whenever those go in), I've considered restricting your view as you press an attack against an opponent in one direction, and that might go in if it isn't too annoying.  Also, once/if sprinting goes in, there will probably be direction effects that stop you from immediately turning/stopping with slowing a square first (URW might have something like this -- I haven't tried changing my move speed yet).  It'll make running leaps fun anyway, though writing path AI for sprinting that works that way would be more annoying.

I'll try URW out again w/ talking later today (off to work now).

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 06:01:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Arawak:
Also you can probably start a petition to the creator.

E-Petitions dont work. Ever.
[The "You spoofed your IP to get multiple signitures" statement blows the entire thing apart. Completely useless.]

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
It might be a fun game mechanic for some people, even in this context, but I find the standard 360 view more realistic.

I agree entirely.
Also, no neck = no decapitations, because the head is basically bound directly to the torso...   :eek:

[ October 12, 2006: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 09:07:00 pm »

So I chatted with some people (talk is the only extended command that isn't in the help it seems) and then wandered off into the wilderness, stopping to drink from a pool and eat bread.  I found a cave in the mountains, where a grumpy elder was wandering around.  Then I went down the stairs, and the game said it couldn't find a map file and exited.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006, 09:55:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Arawak:
<STRONG>Karnot dont prejudge

first off many rougelikes have ugly graphic tiles INCLUDING dwarf fortress so thats a given

]</STRONG>

DF uses tiles to simulate ASCII, as I recall.  And it's hardly ugly; I can view a screenshot for a few seconds and still get an idea of what's going on.  

Anyways, I suppose I will give this game a try; it looks a lot like IVAN which I disliked due to its implied plot that I never got around to seeing more of.

GauHelldragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2006, 09:59:00 pm »

that means you win!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2006, 10:03:00 pm »

QUOTE IS NOT EDIT.
Pages: [1] 2