Change it to a Jester with the loss of the Next Day phase
- 4 (16%)
Remove it entirely
- 9 (36%)
Other (explain)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 117

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion  (Read 135076 times)

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion
« Reply #1245 on: May 18, 2010, 03:30:41 pm »

Sounds good to me.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: May 18, 2010, 06:06:45 pm »

I don't think it's a good idea to have a tech be different sizes for different aliens. The whole point of the tech sizes system was to make it easy to tell which techs can be taken by which aliens. Personally, I'd just cut the entire medium tech category (and redistribute the medium techs, of course), make the Body Double a large, and give Survivors no tech at all. They don't need the help to win.

If not, then you need to consider that small techs are literally for the Survivor. Of all the aliens, he does not need a Body Double, so raise that thing up to Large. Large techs will be for the Exterminator. Medium techs are for the rest of the aliens and the Exterminator. Small techs should be situational and defensive. Medium techs should be informative and protective. Large techs should be deadly and far-reaching.

As sort of a buff to the Exterminator, the Operative should lose his 1-shot powers but gain a Medium tech slot.

Here's the current item list:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here's what I think it should be.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thoughts? I'm not sure if the Stun Bomb should be Large or Medium. I'm thinking Large, but then also give the Alien the power to make other players immune to the effect, if they want. Useful if you have an Operative or if the Controlled Dopp makes a comeback.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: May 18, 2010, 06:12:31 pm »

Considering the amount of tech we now have, it'd be easy to have a game made up exclusively of those with tech slots :P.

See Stars Aligned Mafia for something similar...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: May 18, 2010, 06:15:37 pm »

I don't know, the tech system was really designed with more Aliens in mind. We don't have many at this point since the Dopp and Agent hunters are gone. Doesn't seem to be broken, though.

I might decide to just start Round 16 and figure this out for next game, though.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: May 18, 2010, 06:20:17 pm »

Those alien tech choices seriously buff up all the aliens to ridiculous levels.

Especially that Psychic Wave Modulator thingamajig. Killing all psychic players and their targets? Huge no-no. If the Exterminator wants to kill a lot of people in one night, he should have to work for it, like the way the plasma bomb is now.

I don't think the alien tech choices are broken, so let's not drastically fix them.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: May 18, 2010, 06:44:23 pm »

My assumption is that a 16 player game will have ~3 psychic targetted players, so 6 player deaths on average. If you go and use it on the first night, remember that you're vulnerable if you don't have an advanced mind shield. Even if you do, you're not actually killing anyone that night. If there are no psychic players, nobody dies. And if you wait, more of the psychic players will die each night, decreasing the power of it.

If you take the Plasma Bomb to an extreme, you could kill every single other player in a single night. That never happen. The only reason I feel comfortable with it is pretty much because I'd never take it. I don't feel like risking dying on the first night just to get some more kills off. But maybe I'm weird, would you guys take it?
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: May 18, 2010, 06:56:24 pm »

The problem with that one is that a bunch of what you said doesn't really make sense.

1) Exterminators always have a mind shield, and they can choose to take an Advanced Mind Shield as another tech so they can *always* be safe from this if they want.
2) Mind shields only exist on non-psychic characters, so there is no way to have a psychic character not turned hyper by the power
3) Enchanters are a psychic character...what happens to them? They don't have a night action.
4) Psychics by definition don't go anywhere to use their power, how would a bodyguard be able to save someone?

I also don't like the fact that you could have up to 8 psychic targeting characters in a 16 player game (4 Telepaths 4 Psychic Wardens). One dopp would kill someone in that scenario, but you'd still have 7 people target someone else and die. You could conceivably have EVERYONE but the Exterminator die that night. Not too likely, but still possible. Having even 8 players die on the first day would be a bit much. Especially since it simply requires that the players exist and use their power (they all do), rather then having a bunch of people all go to the same place.

So, it's way more powerful than the Plasma Bomb.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: May 18, 2010, 07:07:07 pm »

Yeah... it's sortof getting up to "Bastard Mod" type levels of power (Think: Webadict, Endless Witch).

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: May 18, 2010, 07:16:41 pm »

But maybe I'm weird, would you guys take it?

Absolutely.

The chance to kill potentially half the players in a single night is well worth the risk of potentially being targeted. It's even better because the kill can be averted by protection, and if the Exterminator has an Operative, there's no risk to the Exterminator as the Operative can act as a Vengeful Guard.

It's worse than the Plasma Bomb because the Exterminator doesn't have to guess who's going to get targetted most during the night, he gets several automatic kills with no effort. And it's no fun to the people who suddenly just died because they were just using their power.

That was only the most egregious example of the tech choices you proposed, however. Combinations of the other tech turn the Exterminator (and other aliens) from a potent third party to near godlike levels.

Like the Combat Camouflage. Immunity to War Vet/Vengeful Guard retaliation? I'd take that too.

Others are of mixed use. Preventing people from using dead chat is an interesting idea but not really worth much compared to sending more people there, and the Ion Cannon prevents Exterminators from knowing what they just killed, and apparently doesn't use up the Exterminator's nightkill for that night.

The Alien's current tech choices aren't broken, so let's not fix them.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: May 18, 2010, 08:05:40 pm »

I actually do consider them broken. Not overpowered broken, they're just wrong. Many of the Aliens have obvious choices that make no sense to take anything else. Why would a Survivor NOT take a Body Double? Or an Exterminator? Why would he not take a Body Double?

Obvious choices are just as bad as ridiculously weak choices. Either make the roles fixed with no choices at all or make all of the choices viable and sensible.

Yeah, I went too far with the Exterminator's stuff. I admit that, but you guys gotta admit he needs a bit of a buff. An Exterminator has never won a game. Ever.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: May 18, 2010, 08:18:36 pm »

I actually do consider them broken. Not overpowered broken, they're just wrong. Many of the Aliens have obvious choices that make no sense to take anything else. Why would a Survivor NOT take a Body Double? Or an Exterminator? Why would he not take a Body Double?
It's not an option to either role.  Personal Shield is... but I think that assassin bots/ DMBs can have interesting tactical effects (consider how ToonyMan might've done if he hadn't died to me in Para 15, for instance).

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: May 18, 2010, 08:20:24 pm »

ToonyMan almost won last game, and if it hadn't been for some really bad luck on his part he very well could have. He was also going offensive tech-wise instead of defensive, and wouldn't have taken the Body Double anyway. As far as lack of variety goes...I've seen Exterminators take pretty much everything on that list except the Stun weapons (which tend to be taken by Scientists). All of it is useful in different situations.

The real problem with buffing the Exterminator is that I don't want to make the game unfun for everyone else. Make the Exterminator too powerful and the dopps have pretty much no chance to win. It's a balancing act.

Maybe the Body Double will improve things a bit. Maybe it won't get used much, since Plasma Bombs are fun. Hard to say.

As for the Survivor, he only gets small tech for a reason. He gets to pick something small to boost himself with, nothing more. A Body Double isn't an option.
Come play Mafia with us!

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: May 18, 2010, 08:24:30 pm »

I won as an alien once.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: May 18, 2010, 08:30:39 pm »

Aliens win all the time, Exterminators just can't seem to win.
Come play Mafia with us!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: May 18, 2010, 09:13:33 pm »

I think it's a product of the whole "having to go out and shoot people to win" thing... they fall victim to Dopplegangers, War Veterans, Vengeful Bodyguards, etc., and they don't have the backup that the Dopples do to still pull a victory out of a bad kill. They've got the worst of both worlds, in that the town will see them as killers, the dopples see them as threats, and they have no real team to help them out.

Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 117