Change it to a Jester with the loss of the Next Day phase
- 4 (16%)
Remove it entirely
- 9 (36%)
Other (explain)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 117

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion  (Read 135150 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion
« Reply #1575 on: November 26, 2012, 04:41:23 pm »

Had an odd idea for the Tech Thief. Kind of a Reversal of what it did.

Rather than Take Tech, the role is changed to a Field Tester for some Alien tech company. Abducted players are gone for a day but come back with a fancy piece of tech that they've been 'programmed' to know how to use.

The Alien is trying to get all of their Tech tested out. A few piece can be used by the alien themselves (like scanners) but most needs to be tested out by a subject to count. So the alien is actually trying to extend the game by judicious use of abduction and tech choices so that all of their tech gets used up by the end of the game.

They would win if all of their tech is used or distributed by the end of the game. Survival is only important for as long as they have tech to give out.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: November 27, 2012, 12:51:19 am »

Doesn't that make it extremely easy to win? I can't think of a reason not to claim getting tech, especially since an abduction is very obvious. Then the Tester can just claim and choose people to give tech to.

Poll so far is tied. I don't think a delayed SS helps much because its still a relatively easy role to play. Bandwagoning the D2 lynchee is an obvious and easy way to get lynched D3. Skipping a day might help, but I still think the SS wincon is still too easy to achieve.

Hmm... how about this. At the end of every day, the number of votes on the SS gets added to a counter. If he gets lynched and his counter is greater than or equal to some n, then he wins. (and game continues) Otherwise he loses. If he gets killed any other way he loses.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: November 27, 2012, 04:16:55 am »

In that case optimal play would be to make sure there are never any votes on people except the guy getting lynched... to be honest I think we should maybe adopt the mafiascum policy of "Jesters are bad" and leave them out.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: November 27, 2012, 08:40:52 am »

Oh hey, I was perfectly right about nobody voting for game-ending SS.

Here's my idea: SS has two night actions: nightly 'infect' and one-shot 'prime'. After being primed, he lives one day. Any of the infected people who vote him (regardless of whether he gets lynched OR, to make it harder, only if he is lynched) get turned into SSes. Nobody gets infected if he isn't primed. He loses if no SSes remain.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 08:42:37 am by Dariush »

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: November 27, 2012, 09:58:10 am »

Rather than Take Tech, the role is changed to a Field Tester for some Alien tech company. Abducted players are gone for a day but come back with a fancy piece of tech that they've been 'programmed' to know how to use.

The Alien is trying to get all of their Tech tested out. A few piece can be used by the alien themselves (like scanners) but most needs to be tested out by a subject to count. So the alien is actually trying to extend the game by judicious use of abduction and tech choices so that all of their tech gets used up by the end of the game.

They would win if all of their tech is used or distributed by the end of the game. Survival is only important for as long as they have tech to give out.
Hmm...

Here's my advice:

Make a Scientist role that has a similar effect. He has like 2-3 Techs to give away that he can't use himself (I don't know, he's afraid of his inventions or something). They can be one-shot role powers basically (They can even fail, if that's what you want [Which could explain why he gives them away, the leak acid all over your hand]).

THEN you can add the Alien version (Call him the Planet-To-Planet Salesalien). The Alien will have 4 (Player dependant -> Players / 4 or something) Techs to give away, but does not abduct (Too many abducts for Aliens, he just markets to them). His goal is to give away all his Tech (not use). 1 Small Tech.

This also makes the Tech Stealer more viable.

As for the SS, don't make them game-ending Jesters. Don't even do Jesters. Jesters hardly ever work. I honestly don't see a problem with the current form of SS. What is it?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: November 27, 2012, 11:09:45 am »

The problem with the current one is that it's a weird random jestery survivor.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: November 27, 2012, 11:19:12 am »

jestery survivor.
Well, aren't you're just stupidly smart. Oh wait.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: November 27, 2012, 11:34:45 am »

Oh right, sorry.  Weird random culty jestery survivor.

Come to think of it that makes it the three most hated alignments on mafiascum rolled into one package.  That's quite impressive.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: November 27, 2012, 12:16:00 pm »

Hmm...

Here's my advice:

Make a Scientist role that has a similar effect. He has like 2-3 Techs to give away that he can't use himself (I don't know, he's afraid of his inventions or something). They can be one-shot role powers basically (They can even fail, if that's what you want [Which could explain why he gives them away, the leak acid all over your hand]).

THEN you can add the Alien version (Call him the Planet-To-Planet Salesalien). The Alien will have 4 (Player dependant -> Players / 4 or something) Techs to give away, but does not abduct (Too many abducts for Aliens, he just markets to them). His goal is to give away all his Tech (not use). 1 Small Tech.

This also makes the Tech Stealer more viable.

As for the SS, don't make them game-ending Jesters. Don't even do Jesters. Jesters hardly ever work. I honestly don't see a problem with the current form of SS. What is it?

Hmm...problem with that is it makes for a stupidly strong scum Scientist and a relatively weak town scientist.

The whole idea of having the Alien abduct was to make it non-obvious what type of abductions were going on. Did the guy get turned vanilla by a Mind Stealer, or is he fake-claiming but actually got some additional tech for the scum team to use?

Possibly not necessary, although it also made getting the tech a little less powerful since it removes the player for a day.

And, yeah, the current SS is just kind of boring. Functionally it ends up as a Survivor who may luck out and win even after getting lynched.

Hmm...what do people think about making it an Arson style SK? He'd have to visit people to infect them, and then can trigger the infections to kill off the targets. I know we have several SK types on the list now, but they'd at least all be different in interesting ways.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: November 27, 2012, 12:58:16 pm »

IMO too similar to the normal Exty, minus the techs. Now if you only allowed him to 'arson' people once and made some interesting effect (for example, slow turning into the alien over the course of three nights - first they lose their regular action, then they gain the alien's abilities, then gain the chat), that would be awesome.

What happened to the Stasis Field aka abductions-by-humans idea I proposed earlier? Did it get scrapped?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: November 27, 2012, 01:32:32 pm »

What happened to the Stasis Field aka abductions-by-humans idea I proposed earlier? Did it get scrapped?

Currently on the back burner.

The slow cult idea is kind of interesting. A bit strange with Arson, though, since an Arson normally tags a few people over the first few turns and then triggers the effect. Seems like a lot of games would end before anyone actually turned alien.

I guess another thought would be to simply remove the SS's survival win-con. Make it so he HAS to get lynched and have one of the new SS living at the end to win.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 01:34:06 pm by Mephansteras »
Come play Mafia with us!

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: November 27, 2012, 01:40:31 pm »

I guess another thought would be to simply remove the SS's survival win-con. Make it so he HAS to get lynched and have one of the new SS living at the end to win.
Too random and dependent on the skill of the infectee.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: November 27, 2012, 01:47:30 pm »

PFP

Might have to pull SS for this round, I guess?

Does Paranormal have a Cult?
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: November 27, 2012, 01:49:46 pm »

Too random and dependent on the skill of the infectee.

Infectees, plural, since it hits two random people. Although there is the downside that a hit against dopps/aliens doesn't work.

@Hapah: The Hivemind is a cult.
Come play Mafia with us!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: November 27, 2012, 01:54:38 pm »

How is a Field Tester Scum Scientist overpowered? If they give away inspects and protects to their team, they can be found out, plus the team gains nothing really. That's like saying a roleblocker is stupidly powerful because they always hit someone not on their team. Sure, they're more powerful, but they aren't ovepowered. They're like... Twice as powerful as their Town counterpart. No big deal.

As for abductions... Nah. Since there are things like the Exty kill, it's not that big of a deal to keep it like that. However, Dariush's Stasis Field is interesting, if you want. Having the ability to hide behind human roles is the key, not more Alien roles.

And the SS acts more like a survivor town, in that they win with the town if one survives. I think it's fine to have town friendly aliens to pretend to be.
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 117