Change it to a Jester with the loss of the Next Day phase
- 4 (16%)
Remove it entirely
- 9 (36%)
Other (explain)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 117

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion  (Read 134647 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion - Talking about aliens
« Reply #750 on: October 10, 2009, 02:59:13 pm »

Seems a bit... unfair to the scum, in a way.  Firstly, detectives will become Agents, to some extent, as "No role" suddenly becomes "Scum".  Also, the Cult Leader/ Dopp Leaders will lose their resistance to detectives.  It also means it's harder for the scum to claim something that can't be rumbled by a CT.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: October 10, 2009, 03:02:17 pm »

Seems a bit... unfair to the scum, in a way.  Firstly, detectives will become Agents, to some extent, as "No role" suddenly becomes "Scum".  Also, the Cult Leader/ Dopp Leaders will lose their resistance to detectives.  It also means it's harder for the scum to claim something that can't be rumbled by a CT.
We could try getting rid of the CT...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: October 10, 2009, 03:04:33 pm »

I guess we'd need to axe all the investigative roles, then.  Telepath + Agent = confirmed towny.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: October 10, 2009, 03:07:17 pm »

I guess we'd need to axe all the investigative roles, then.  Telepath + Agent = confirmed towny.
Not if you lie enough.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #754 on: October 10, 2009, 03:08:31 pm »

Ok, I'll give you the point that CT's are problematic.

The problem is less with Investigative roles as it is with the DoT.  It's a powerful role that can either guarantee scum or CT if we lynch the DoT (who become VT).  For the Telepath + Agent, we'd have to either confirm both or kill both to get a CT.  It's just not worth it.

Also, I went back and looked at the game results and I see what you mean.  Making the game harder for the scum seems mildly problematic as they haven't won since Round 3.  Mayhaps we should buff the scum somehow instead to try to work on game balance?

Spoiler: Paranormal results (click to show/hide)

Granted, a few of the games were kind of close... (Round 9 ;D)
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: October 10, 2009, 03:10:09 pm »

I will have something to say when Round 10 is over.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: October 10, 2009, 03:10:38 pm »

I like thinking about what would happen if the world continued to run.  Like, having you, a lonely medium, sitting alone while a whole load of voices in your head yell random things at you, ranging from "Thanks for killing all the dopps!" to "ARGH YOU KILLED ME I'LL BE BACK".

And I will have some stuff to say after Round 10 too.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: October 10, 2009, 03:39:13 pm »

Ok, I'll give you the point that CT's are problematic.

The problem is less with Investigative roles as it is with the DoT.  It's a powerful role that can either guarantee scum or CT if we lynch the DoT (who become VT).  For the Telepath + Agent, we'd have to either confirm both or kill both to get a CT.  It's just not worth it.

Also, I went back and looked at the game results and I see what you mean.  Making the game harder for the scum seems mildly problematic as they haven't won since Round 3.  Mayhaps we should buff the scum somehow instead to try to work on game balance?

Spoiler: Paranormal results (click to show/hide)

Granted, a few of the games were kind of close... (Round 9 ;D)
I would like to say that one of those games would've been won for Dopps if some small thing had been changed. Also, I won for all those Dopp wins (High five! I've won 7/9!) Perhaps it is simply OVERLOAD OF ROLES SINCE ROUND THREE?!?!?!?!?

Come on. It's tough with so many roles and so many players with them. I think the removal of roles helps, instead of removing the plain ol' roles.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: October 10, 2009, 03:55:26 pm »

Shouldn't the dopps having more roles counter this?  And the relatively role free game, round 7, didn't exactly go great for the mafias...

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: October 10, 2009, 04:07:14 pm »

Shouldn't the dopps having more roles counter this?  And the relatively role free game, round 7, didn't exactly go great for the mafias...
Round 7 had two mafias...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: October 10, 2009, 04:11:45 pm »

Well, yeah.  It's odd, since other games seem to work with 2 mafias.  Perhaps the whole Servant Corps/ Toony thing didn't help the cultists either.  Neither did the final cultist being a lurker...

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: October 10, 2009, 08:55:08 pm »

Other games can work with 2 mafias because the town tends to be weaker.  It's well established that 2 mafia groups actually weaken the mafia overall due to crossfire.

Most of the roles out there give the town a ton of power, to the point where they can rely fully on their roles to out the scum.  Giving the scum powers helps...a little, but only to a point since their main problem isn't locating players but, instead, avoiding discovery.

In short: there's too many ways for the town to find the scum.  Meanwhile, the scum have very little to use in avoiding detection.

Note that the last batch of advances given were to the aliens which, while not always pro-town, isn't pro-scum either. 

If you want more powers but add to the balance, then you need pro-scum roles.  Specifically, you need roles that help the mafia trick the town.

i.e. Where's the redirecters?  A dopp redirecter would make a nice counter to those investigative roles. 

There's always sharpshooters: mafia that can bypass guardians and bodyguards.

Dopp/cult Role where everything, including the DOT, that targets it is redirected to some random person.

Basically, anti-power role scum roles so that the town can't 110% trust their findings.

Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: October 10, 2009, 09:34:00 pm »

Other games can work with 2 mafias because the town tends to be weaker.  It's well established that 2 mafia groups actually weaken the mafia overall due to crossfire.

Most of the roles out there give the town a ton of power, to the point where they can rely fully on their roles to out the scum.  Giving the scum powers helps...a little, but only to a point since their main problem isn't locating players but, instead, avoiding discovery.

In short: there's too many ways for the town to find the scum.  Meanwhile, the scum have very little to use in avoiding detection.

Note that the last batch of advances given were to the aliens which, while not always pro-town, isn't pro-scum either. 

If you want more powers but add to the balance, then you need pro-scum roles.  Specifically, you need roles that help the mafia trick the town.

i.e. Where's the redirecters?  A dopp redirecter would make a nice counter to those investigative roles. 

There's always sharpshooters: mafia that can bypass guardians and bodyguards.

Dopp/cult Role where everything, including the DOT, that targets it is redirected to some random person.

Basically, anti-power role scum roles so that the town can't 110% trust their findings.

It's also a very newbie friendly game. Yes, we'd love to weaken the town with MORE power roles... But I think it needs less.

Like the Detective. He can go. He's like an Agent except lamer. And get rid of the DoT. Then it's perfect!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: October 10, 2009, 09:35:23 pm »

Well, yeah.  It's odd, since other games seem to work with 2 mafias.  Perhaps the whole Servant Corps/ Toony thing didn't help the cultists either.  Neither did the final cultist being a lurker...

Huh? What did I do during that game? All I did was claim Survivor Alien, but that really didn't do much.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: October 10, 2009, 09:53:36 pm »

Huh? What did I do during that game? All I did was claim Survivor Alien, but that really didn't do much.
I think he means Duke and Toony.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 117