Change it to a Jester with the loss of the Next Day phase
- 4 (16%)
Remove it entirely
- 9 (36%)
Other (explain)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 117

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion  (Read 135081 times)

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion
« Reply #810 on: October 14, 2009, 06:54:34 pm »

I had an idea that would be interesting, and tilt the balance more towards the scum: an ability that roleflip as town, even though it was really scum.

Second: Is Exterminator still -1 weight? Because that would be part of the reason scum hasn't won much.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: October 14, 2009, 07:03:12 pm »

I had an idea that would be interesting, and tilt the balance more towards the scum: an ability that roleflip as town, even though it was really scum.

Second: Is Exterminator still -1 weight? Because that would be part of the reason scum hasn't won much.
That's called Pillar of the Community in IRC. Or Death Anti-Miller

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: October 14, 2009, 07:05:59 pm »

I hear mafiascum players hate them and most games ban pillars.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: October 14, 2009, 07:09:28 pm »

I'm not surprised. That kind of thing can seriously mess people up. Especially since people won't know how many scum are still left.

@RedWarrior0: I'm curious, why does the Exterminator being at -1 weight tip the balance against the scum?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: October 14, 2009, 07:15:15 pm »

Exterminator would have to be neutral weight, for pretty simple reasons (in my mind). The scum have one less weight in PRs than the town if there's an exterminator.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: October 14, 2009, 07:27:29 pm »

Hmm. Fair enough, I suppose. Although a -1 isn't that big of a difference. Most games have an overall power level of about -20 or so for Scum.

Note: Paranormal 10 needs a replacement for Diakron.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: October 14, 2009, 07:35:44 pm »

True, but there's another thing: Roles like Cult/Dopp Hunter and Scientist are slightly pro-town de facto: CH/DH takes out a single scum, and Scientist makes a 1:1 trade, which is good for town: 4/5 goes to 3/4, etc. Also, is Operative also a negative value?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: October 14, 2009, 07:39:07 pm »

Yes, and those roles have a positive weight to account for their generally pro-town leanings. Perhaps the hunters need a higher weight, since I don't think we've had one fail yet.

The Operative does also have a negative weight. Although, considering how close Paranormal 9 was I'm not sure that's really unbalanced.
Come play Mafia with us!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: October 14, 2009, 07:40:24 pm »

I'm sure it's been pointed out that if they do miss their one shot, they are anti-town.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: October 14, 2009, 07:45:36 pm »

True. So, if the Exterminator and Operative were neutral, scum could have won that one. DoT probably had an effect, but the thing is, the game is almost balanced, just that broken roles and small adjustments need to be made. Town should have a record of about 50%, and dopps in 9 might have been the first scum to win in a while. I mean, look at that list someone posted earlier: town should honestly not have that streak.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: October 14, 2009, 07:50:53 pm »

It was the DoT.  Watch.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #821 on: October 14, 2009, 09:15:09 pm »

My thoughts.

Basically, I don't particularly think that multiple mafias will work well, but adding others as third party roles would be interesting.  Feel free to completely ignore any of these, but these were my ideas.

Dopps
Keep the dopps as the primary mafia, make each of the other roles a 3rd party role.  Dopps take over townspeople so for the most part, the roles are shared between Dopps and Townies. 

Cultist Leader
Each night, the Cultist Leader can try to recruit someone to their cause.  If they target a Dopp, the Dopp will eat them.  If the target an Alien (or other 3rd party), the ability will fail. If the target a Human, the Human will become a Cultist, losing all other abilities.  To win, the Cultists must make up the remainder of the town.  If the Cultist Leader is killed, the Cultists lose the ability to recruit but can still win by trying to control the lynch.  (aka, don't let your Leader get killed)

Vampire
Each night, the Vampire must target a player.  Each target has a chance of each of the following happening:
- Nothing happens to the target.  They know they were targeted by a Vampire.
- The player is drained of their abilities for a night and the next day (role-block plus).  They know they were targeted by a Vampire.
- The player is killed by blood loss.
- The player is turned into a Vampire (losing all other abilities).

A Vampire cannot convert a Dopp or 3rd party.  If either is targeted, one of the first three options will happen.  If a Vampire selects an invalid target (or cannot otherwise feed--psychic warden or the like) for three nights in a row, they die from lack of nourishment.

To win, the Vampire must kill all non-Vampire players.

Werewolf
If a player is a Werewolf, they will not initially know it (probably just get Townie as their role).
Each night, there is a random chance that the Werewolf will target a random player.
In the morning, they will wake up and remember what they've done.
After that, they can control the ability (maybe?)

Alternatively, make it an ability rather than a role.
Then, if the they target anyone with a night action, there is a chance that they'll tear them apart again.
If they don't have an active night ability, they random choose a player as above.
Once they know they are a Werewolf, they can use their original ability or the Werewolf ability.

Thoughts?
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #822 on: October 14, 2009, 09:18:37 pm »

For the benefit of ToonyMan:

Robot
The robot is immune to most night kills.  Most players will kill the original shell of the robot and it will shift to another body.
The only way to kill a robot is to lynch it (the town will find the copies and make sure to shut it down).
The robot's goal is to live to the end of the game.

The problem with this is that the Town might find a Robot that is willing to work with them.  Since the Dopps cannot directly kill it, it becomes far more powerful.
Maybe any player can target a Robot with a specific 'Shut Down' action once the identity of a Robot is known?

(It's not as thought out as the rest of the roles, but I still think it might be interesting.)

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: October 14, 2009, 09:23:48 pm »

For the benefit of ToonyMan:

Robot
The robot is immune to most night kills.  Most players will kill the original shell of the robot and it will shift to another body.
The only way to kill a robot is to lynch it (the town will find the copies and make sure to shut it down).
The robot's goal is to live to the end of the game.

The problem with this is that the Town might find a Robot that is willing to work with them.  Since the Dopps cannot directly kill it, it becomes far more powerful.
Maybe any player can target a Robot with a specific 'Shut Down' action once the identity of a Robot is known?

(It's not as thought out as the rest of the roles, but I still think it might be interesting.)
Wait, so the role is passed from one player to another?
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #824 on: October 14, 2009, 09:42:31 pm »

That's not exactly what I meant.  I just meant that there are multiple copies of a robot preventing night kills from working.  Each copy is still played by the same person though.

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 117