Change it to a Jester with the loss of the Next Day phase
- 4 (16%)
Remove it entirely
- 9 (36%)
Other (explain)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 117

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion  (Read 135107 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion
« Reply #840 on: October 17, 2009, 10:27:11 am »

Sometimes the mafia all automatically get a "Falseclaim" ability, where they can ask the mod to send them another role pm for any role/ alignment.  It would stop role pm quoting, at least.

'Nother idea - give the Alien Exterminator a Safeclaim ability too.  That is, he'll be told the name of a neutral/ pro-town alien that isn't in the game, which he'll be able to claim without fear of a counter claim.  Aliens that could be safeclaimed - Survivor, Seeker, Hunter, Watcher.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: October 17, 2009, 10:50:57 am »

Sometimes the mafia all automatically get a "Falseclaim" ability, where they can ask the mod to send them another role pm for any role/ alignment.  It would stop role pm quoting, at least.

'Nother idea - give the Alien Exterminator a Safeclaim ability too.  That is, he'll be told the name of a neutral/ pro-town alien that isn't in the game, which he'll be able to claim without fear of a counter claim.  Aliens that could be safeclaimed - Survivor, Seeker, Hunter, Watcher.
Intel ruins this.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: October 17, 2009, 11:14:29 am »

Think of it this way: Why would any of those counterclaim? It just draws unwanted attention to themselves. Well, a Watcher might, but claiming Watcher is just kind of a dumb idea, really.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: October 17, 2009, 11:30:38 am »

Survivor could counter-claim to bugger up the Exterminator's plans and speed up the end of the game.  And yeah, claiming Watcher might not be a good idea for the Exterminator when compared to other, more attractive options, but it could be used as a blackmail tool.

Intel ruins this.
Only the Alien Scientist and the Watcher Alien could also have intel, and they possibly aren't too likely to say it.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: October 17, 2009, 11:55:54 am »

Watcher has no point to take Intel, just as the Exterminator doesn't either. The Scientist is the one that really makes a mess of this, as he can help the town with his knowledge and then leave. It's actually very annoying, especially with a confirmed townie...

Sooo... yeah. I really doubt the Scientist needs 2 Tech Points. He tends to win within 4 Days.

I still think there needs to be less roles...

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: October 17, 2009, 11:57:22 am »

I kinda agree with Webadict.  Winning as scum is about 0% right now.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: October 17, 2009, 12:05:57 pm »

I do like the 10 pages of roles here.  I don't think we need to reduce the roles so much as we need games that host less roles.  I love how NSBM is running along.  Para (for those who love my 'Meth' messes, I have to keep editing 'Para'.  I keep typing 'Pandar') is role crazy, simply put. 

To get to the aliens, though, I notice the Scientist and Dopp Seeker have a boatload of power here and tend to grab up dopps easily.  Perhaps they need a lot more weight for the town so that they show up less (or else the dopps get a batch more power). 

sidenote: has the scientist and dopp seeker ever lost?
Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: October 17, 2009, 12:20:51 pm »

I do like the 10 pages of roles here.  I don't think we need to reduce the roles so much as we need games that host less roles.  I love how NSBM is running along.  Para (for those who love my 'Meth' messes, I have to keep editing 'Para'.  I keep typing 'Pandar') is role crazy, simply put. 

To get to the aliens, though, I notice the Scientist and Dopp Seeker have a boatload of power here and tend to grab up dopps easily.  Perhaps they need a lot more weight for the town so that they show up less (or else the dopps get a batch more power). 

sidenote: has the scientist and dopp seeker ever lost?

Scientist is fairly new (And my idea!), but no, I don't think either of the 2 have ever lost. I think there power is fine, but they might need their weight adjusted.

Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: October 17, 2009, 01:02:33 pm »

I'm fine with increasing the weight on those two. They do win a lot. I'm also ok with reducing the Scientist down to 1 tech point. We'll see how those effect things.

Overall, though, I'm ok with having lots of roles for Paranormal. It's pretty much what it is, and most people seem to have a lot of fun with it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: October 17, 2009, 01:06:16 pm »

Yeah, I so know that feeling Meph.  Having a role in Paranormal is just awesome!

:[

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: October 17, 2009, 01:26:21 pm »

I kinda agree with Webadict.  Winning as scum is about 0% right now.
It's actually about 1.3%

Technically, scum MIGHT be able to win if the Town mislynches the worst case scenarios, and only have some of the scum are taken out be whatever roles remain (Which is usually a lot [Vig, War Vet, Scientist, Hunter, Telepath, Agent, Exterminator, Operative, Mad Scientist, Warden, Guardian, Protector, Warlock, Reporter... What CAN'T impede the scum? A Kook? ... That's it.])

And that's just an average game.

Here's a rundown on all the roles and their effectiveness against scum:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If you are going to change the weights on something, make Telepaths ridiculously more. They are town confirmers. Just like DoTs, and there's nothing to stop them.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: October 17, 2009, 02:14:41 pm »

Seems pretty fair, although I can't see the logic of some of the "Medium usually destroys it", to be honest.  And yes, the Watcher's win condition is incompatible with everyone EXCEPT the Agent Seeker, Alien Scientist and Dopp/ Cult Hunter.  I know having a global roleblock N1 is annoying, but other than that, the Watcher can't really do too much (and most other techs are unhelpful - Personal Shield might prevent one NK, HM might protect from an Agent, Scanner is pointless, Deadman Bomb is horrificly bad, MCR is pointless, Intel... well, there's not much you can do with it, Plasma Bomb would speed up the game, Stun Orb is a weaker version of MCR and the other 2 have no use for a Watcher.  So yeah, a Watcher will probably end up as a global roleblocker.

I agree with giving Telepaths more weight, as well as some kind of false negative result other than the extremely unlikely HM.  I'm tempted to say that Cult/ Dopp leaders should also return a Survive result.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: October 17, 2009, 02:19:10 pm »

Seems pretty fair, although I can't see the logic of some of the "Medium usually destroys it", to be honest.  And yes, the Watcher's win condition is incompatible with everyone EXCEPT the Agent Seeker, Alien Scientist and Dopp/ Cult Hunter.  I know having a global roleblock N1 is annoying, but other than that, the Watcher can't really do too much (and most other techs are unhelpful - Personal Shield might prevent one NK, HM might protect from an Agent, Scanner is pointless, Deadman Bomb is horrificly bad, MCR is pointless, Intel... well, there's not much you can do with it, Plasma Bomb would speed up the game, Stun Orb is a weaker version of MCR and the other 2 have no use for a Watcher.  So yeah, a Watcher will probably end up as a global roleblocker.

I agree with giving Telepaths more weight, as well as some kind of false negative result other than the extremely unlikely HM.  I'm tempted to say that Cult/ Dopp leaders should also return a Survive result.
Yes, the Watcher isn't going to win either, unless you NL like 3 Days in a row and stun everyone. And maybe a few kill blocks. It's those other aliens that tend to ruin it.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: October 17, 2009, 02:20:08 pm »

Cult Hunter = 2 less players to start off with.  Alien Scientist = Watcher is fucked, basically :P.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: October 17, 2009, 02:23:09 pm »

Cult Hunter = 2 less players to start off with.  Alien Scientist = Watcher is fucked, basically :P.
lol, gg kthxbai.

Yeah, pretty much. It's like a big GL to you and leaving you with no abilities at all. You have to convince town to get to lylo, block scum every once in a while, and then stop Aliens from moving always and forever.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 117