Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Dwarven Bible, Biology part finished.  (Read 12847 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dwarven Bible, Biology part finished.
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 07:33:47 am »

Dwarves reproduce via intense concentration and spores released via their beards

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 12:38:47 pm »

I think it may be logical (maybe) to assume that the rate dwarves die in player fortresses in far greater than in a stable, wordgenned dwarven mountainhome. Speaking of which, do immigrants actually come from a mountainhome (IE, you could say 'hi' in adventure mode and then see the same person immigrate) or do they just materialize, for game purposes, on the edge of the map?

Also, I am going to put (at your presumed leave) this book into my DF-related Morrowind mod- Who should I author it to? I'm thinking "Written by Dwarf" just won't work ingame.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 01:11:36 pm »

holy shit i get mentioned in a mod! Well, you could name me... Rigoth Antakharazan. What'll be the name of the book item?
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 01:18:42 pm »

Immigrants currently materialize from thin air at the edge of the map.

Oh wow a morrowind mod?  I was considering making a DF related Oblivion mod but my mod-fu is weak with the elder scrolls games.

Closest I could do is make an ebony metal in DF that has 150% effectiveness that is made from pig iron and 5 chunks of obsidian.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2009, 01:58:16 pm »

Not to derail this thread entirely, but I could *potentially* do something with scripts that emulates smelter reactions.

The ingame book name will be "The Dwarven Bible Vol I: Anatomy" and so on and so forth. I'll just copy-paste the text into the book, add in the line breaks (fun fact- books in Morrowind use HTML) and that's a book. After all- this mod is surely going to end up being largely DF themed, even if that was not its original intent. Yes, screenshots will be posted soon. Presently actually taking screenshots is proving far more difficult than creating screenshot worthy material.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2009, 04:18:29 am »

I somehow got the impression that the dwarven beard acted like a respirator, filtering dust and asbestos from the air and preventing it from entering the lungs.

They would need to wash their beards regularly in order to prevent them from being so clogged and dirty that the dwarves have problems breathing.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2009, 11:08:00 am »

I somehow got the impression that the dwarven beard acted like a respirator, filtering dust and asbestos from the air and preventing it from entering the lungs.

They would need to wash their beards regularly in order to prevent them from being so clogged and dirty that the dwarves have problems breathing.
I think he's onto something here! This explains why dwarves can survive deep underground, often with no access to the surface at all. Their beards filter out all the particulate matter kicked up which mining, preventing harmful lung diseases normally associated with these sort of conditions!

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2009, 01:07:53 pm »

Sorry for the pretty long downtime. Had almost no computer for four fucking weeks. I'll get back to work!
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2009, 12:52:39 am »

Bump because this is a cool thread.

Also, bump because I had an idea (question) that belongs here: What is the chemical pathway that allows dwarves to drink alcohol and not need water, but still be able to take water in place of alcohol, and still need food?

I'm going to assume for now that dwarves still produce and use ATP, and exhale carbon dioxide. It's possible that alcohol is a source of oxygen as well, allowing them to survive in poorly ventilated tunnels. Maybe we can even explain their resistance to disease and why they don't poop!

Ethanol (ethyl alcohol) is the kind of alcohol used in most alcoholic beverages. It's a little more complex than "here's and ethanol molecule" since they form chains.

I'll post more thoughts tomorrow- what are yours?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2009, 01:29:11 am »

MORE!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2009, 01:31:09 am »

Heh, from me or from Dwarf?

Hopefully, we'll get more from everybody- brush up on your freshman biology!

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2009, 01:34:04 am »

no need. Bioogy was always my best subject, especially genetics (why must everyone else be so crap at genetics, it's not even that difficult (I realise thr ego required to make that statement, but the entire of basic genetics is not a hard subject. It's only a little bit harder than learning how to repair a car, although that might be because I suck at repairing cars))
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2009, 01:45:04 am »

Genetics seem pretty simple to me, there's just a ton to memorize if you're trying to do anything useful. Anyone who can beat General Bison can grow glow in the dark E. Coli (I might have to sig myself... would that be too hubris?). So can anyone who's compiled a script. Genetics aren't really the issue here, unless you're being far more ambitious with this idea than I am...

So, basic question is, how to we put in

Ethanol OR Water
Food (required always)

and get

Fat
Glucose
Bonus: Copious amounts of oxygen
Bonus: Use some carbon dioxide before it's exhaled
Side emissions???

Hell, we might even make dwarves get the oxygen from their booze and carbon from the air!

Like I said, let's get crackin'! I'll start thinking this through tomorrow.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2009, 02:31:28 am »

Well, I've got a couple hours, I might as well start now...

Standard alcohol is ethanol, but that's only due to the way that our alcohol is made (and the fact that it's not quite so damaging to the human body). dwarves could quite simply make any other kind of alcoholic beverage. Methanol would make sense, and Propanol is one of the main constituents of sprits anyway.

If we assume a low nitrogen content of the world (possibly replaced by greater quantities of oxygen and carbon dioxide primarily) then all alcohol would tend towards greater amounts of propanol, butanol and others, and what we have come to associate with stronger alcohol.

Butanol is slightly toxic, giving us the classic stupidity of the dwarves, and breaks down into carbon dioxide. Given the vast quantities of carbon dioxide in the caverns in which they live, it is likely that Dwarven physiology would make use of this massive overabundance of carbon dioxide rather than use oxygen.

Now to link the two.  It is my personal belief that Dwarves do not actually process any of this themselves. They are in fact a part of a symbiotic relationship with gut bacteria. They provide the vast amounts of carbon dioxide and hydrogen (in place of water) and the internal bacteria create energy from it, reproduce, and are then killed by the body to release the precious energy created. This means that dwarves have to keep breathing to dispense of that useless oxygen (then used by the humans, usually in much greater quantities). This symbiotic relationship means that Dwarves allow organisms far more suited to the task, to gather energy, while dwarves merely take in the required substances.

An injured dwarf requires water because it is a more efficient means of getting hydrogen into the body (more efficient than consuming smaller quantities of hydrogen in alcohol), but sacrifices the greater amount of carbon dioxide present in the alcohol. this spurs the bacteria into a frenzy of sugar production as it instinctually (well, as instinctual as bacteria get) claims every last drop of hydrogen (and processes it into sugars) it can get to prepare for a period of starvation. This boosts the sugars available for repair of the body, and gives an injured dwarf a greater chance to heal. Repeated starving and feeding causes this to happen a great many times while healing, as the bacteria receives small amounts of carbon dioxide in food, only to be starved and repeat the entire process.

Edit: Added sentence to make apparent non sequitur make sense.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 02:35:55 am by Rowanas »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2009, 06:34:18 am »

Back before the advent of the lands, the gods were in wanting of beauty. So they created a lesser being called Dwarf to craft them things of beauty. Their bodies were formed of rock, their blood magma. After the first day, the gods came down to these beings and asked for what he worked on.
 "But I have nothing to craft into things of beauty." Dwarf complained, for he had made nothing. So the gods set down plains, oceans and forests. Any metal and mineral Dwarf wanted was there, ready to be picked. With this dwarf began furiously working his craft. Several-thousand years of this would pass, and the gods would have many objects of beauty.
 However, these objects would be the undoing of the wicked ones. Some of the gods would become jealous of the crafts other gods had, and thus started wars in the heavens. They started to create their own crafters, known as Elf and Human. But neither could match the skill of Dwarf. Some gods even wanted the death of Dwarf in their blind jealousy, so they created Goblin and Kobold to kill Dwarf and steal his treasures. As a final act of their wickedness, they collected all of the metals and minerals of note from the land and sealed them deep underground, diluting them with the rock.
 The gods were appalled by these actions. So they struck down these wicked gods, and where their bodies fell onto the land great mountains were made to seal them away from the hands of Dwarf, for the body of a god, even a wicked one, is too great a material for a non-celestial being.
 But the rock of the land was softer than the rock of Dwarf, and it was trivial for him to reach the bodies of the fallen gods and create crafts from them. This was the greatest sin in the eyes of the gods, as it was the very thing the fallen ones would do. So they took away the rock of Dwarf, replacing it with skin. They took away the blood of magma, replacing it with blood. Both were taken into the mountains and used to guard the bodies of the fallen ones.
 Dwarf had an unrelenting urge to craft everything into works of beauty. But Dwarf knew alone without his old blood and skin he would not be able to reach the metals beneath the land. So he took some of the body of a god which he had hid from the others and made a female, from which children could be made. In an act of defiance to those that took away his ability to craft, he made similar such females for Human, Elf, Goblin and Kobold kind.

Humans accepted this gift, but were still fearful of the gods. So they vowed to stay away from the accursed mountains. The Female of the elves was made from the body of the very god that made them, so they formed their belief system behind the idea that such actions are okay and fled to the forests, where the trees could hide their shame. Goblin were created to kill, but he formed a sort of friendship with Dwarf. He decided to join Dwarf in his quest to craft things of beauty. Kobold was a quickly-made thing, resembling an animal of low craftgodship. Dwarf tried his best to make the future generations of Kobold into something like his crafts, but he could not fix them. Instead Kobold felt a great attraction to other such creations, to the crafts of not only Dwarf, but human, Elf and Goblin crafts.
 After seeing these actions, the gods again made these Females into flesh. But dwarf knew they would do this. He had hid some of the body of the god away, to be added after the gods had done their punishment and could touch them no longer. The last part of the body of the god was it's hair, which was more that Dwarf could fit on his head. So he put it on his face.

After that, many tales had happened. From the goblins getting too greedy and being corrupted into atacking their friends, the Dwarves to Elves feeling the trees they hid beneath were more valuable than the other races. However, such stories are for another time.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: 1 [2] 3