Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Wooden cudgels/staff?  (Read 8409 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Wooden cudgels/staff?
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 07:02:36 pm »

hey. stone cudgels work fine. As long as they're actually just rocks...
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 10:50:05 pm »

I could see stone cudgels being like rock shortswords (only not steel quality, maybe copper since they'd be easy to make). Strap a heavy rock to the end of a long stick, you've got yourself a mace. Not exactly a precise weapon, but it can crack a skull easily enough.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2009, 01:24:59 am »

Most of this can be modded in without a second thought, especially with access to Obsidian.

If you want to make it from wood alone, I seem to remember some workaround involving giving the weapon a fake ammo type for use at range, allowing it to be built in the Bowyer's Workshop, but not actually causing ranged attacks.

'Twould be nice to have official support, though.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2009, 02:26:58 am »

Staff + stone = spear
Club + stone = axe

Also let dwarves use bows.Bows would be weaker but crossbows would need mechanisms.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2009, 07:44:30 am »

The average dwarf can't use a bow because of the stance required to fire it. Also, any dwarf bows would have to be short, with a short draw length but a fairly heavy-duty poundage.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Joakim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2009, 09:10:46 am »

Mace skill would make sense

@Joakim - only puny hummie guards use batons, dwarven guards use hammers!

Y'see thats my problem. They bash my weaponsmith into dwarven mush when he can't fulfill some demand. A bronze hammer the last time it happened, appropriately enough. :)

With the new material raws it should be possible to make flint and other "reasonable" rocks usable for weapons, right? So no chalk hammers.

Btw, ain't it funny that the *least* common rock weapon made it into the game first? Flint spears, arrows, axes and clubs where far more common weapons.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2009, 09:50:49 am »

True. We had flintknappers way before we were tying rocks to branches, but they don't exist for the dwarves.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2009, 09:54:31 am »

Yeah, I don't know what the point of the rock swords is. They weren't very good for actual killing, seems like a really obscure thing to include. And why the fuck do they have a crit bonus? It's a baton with wide shards of glass in it, you can't stab with it!

You will be able to make chalk hammers but they'll shatter easily and the density makes them do crappy damage

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2009, 10:00:19 am »

chalk pila would be nice. kind of one-shot, but that stops them being thrown back against you.

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2009, 12:40:57 pm »

chalk pila would be nice

I am no geologist but isn't chalk a pretty crappy material for a weapon?

On Topic: I guess I have no clue of the potential for modding that changing the raws has, is there any tutorial so I don't end up scewing something up?

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2009, 01:34:16 pm »

Yeah, I don't know what the point of the rock swords is. They weren't very good for actual killing, seems like a really obscure thing to include. And why the fuck do they have a crit bonus? It's a baton with wide shards of glass in it, you can't stab with it!

You will be able to make chalk hammers but they'll shatter easily and the density makes them do crappy damage

I think it was to guarantee a decent weapon until metalforging played out.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2009, 03:43:47 pm »

The weapon the wooden sword was based off of was a decent weapon, but it was crap against armor. Toady has already said it's supposed to be fairly fragile, he just hasn't implemented wear yet.

And I tried modding the weapon in. Making it a "blowgun" (the common workaround) causes it to be made at a bowyers workshop off of crossbow-making skill and causes dwarves to treat it like a ranged weapon (though that's not a problem as blowgun ammo usually isn't available). Modding it as a reaction makes it weigh several tons (a known bug, but nobody but a superdwarvenly strong dwarf could actually use it).
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2009, 03:49:40 am »

Only thing it did was to make anything below steel crappy

Should have added spears, not obscure nonsense

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2009, 08:39:09 pm »

Only thing it did was to make anything below steel crappy

Anything below steel is crappy

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2009, 10:24:11 pm »

Nah, but the game should encourage using lesser metals when need be.  You shouldn't never use bronze weapons just because there's a rock that's sharper
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5