Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Large vs... not large?/Unhealing Dwarves?  (Read 4107 times)

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Large vs... not large?/Unhealing Dwarves?
« on: October 31, 2009, 03:05:17 pm »

Whats the difference between Large Star Ruby and Star Ruby?

Gems come in Large or normal sizing, and Im trying to figure out the difference...

Help, please?

Also, I got a group of dwarves that are wounded bu wont heal. They've been resting for about a year and none of them have gotten better. My Legendary Miner/Mason has a red left lung, yet he can walk around and do his work. But all of my Fortress Guard are resting from one or two yellow arm/leg wounds. Why dont they heal??
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 06:16:41 pm by They Got Leader »
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
Re: Large vs... not large?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 03:19:10 pm »

Large gems have twice the base value and can't be used to encrust things.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 03:27:04 pm »

So whats the purpose? Trade good?
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 03:28:51 pm »

Large gems are finished goods, rather than gems  This is why the above is true, and it also explains why they are in a different stockpile.  I think they are made as failed gem polishing operations but I am not sure of that.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 03:32:03 pm »

Hm. Thanks. I'll keep that in mind

Auldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 03:57:12 pm »

Seems more like they're a "bonus" for having a skilled gem cutter. Not so great if I'm trying to mass encrust "imported" goblin clothes, though.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 06:00:34 pm »

Yah, I think they are supposed to also function as bait for animal traps but I have yet to get them to work.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 06:02:50 pm »

Your gemcutters will randomly create large gems when they cut raw gems; the quality of the large gem depends on the gemcutter's skill, but I don't think the probability of getting a large gem depends on anything (you will of course get more large gems in a given timeframe from skilled cutters than from unskilled ones, since they work faster).
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Large vs... not large?/Unhealing Dwarves?
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 11:04:57 pm »

I only recently noticed you also sometimes get gem amulets and junk too, same deal, right?
Akur Akir Akam!

Hortun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 11:33:29 pm »

Incidentally, since large gems are more of a trinket than a gem, you can encrust other gems into your large gems. A mood might even be able to get you a large gem with an image of a gem made of other gems.

Mapleleaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 09:52:28 am »

Quote from: Hortun
Incidentally, since large gems are more of a trinket than a gem, you can encrust other gems into your large gems. A mood might even be able to get you a large gem with an image of a gem made of other gems.
That's exactly what happened in my last fort; my legendary gem cutter made a perfect red spinel encrusted with milk quartzes and bloodstones (if I recall correctly that is :V)

It was worth like 70000¤

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 03:55:50 pm »

... Also, I got a group of dwarves that are wounded bu wont heal. They've been resting for about a year and none of them have gotten better. My Legendary Miner/Mason has a red left lung, yet he can walk around and do his work. But all of my Fortress Guard are resting from one or two yellow arm/leg wounds. Why dont they heal??

Dwarves will heal from everything but nervous system injuries, however when your dwarves are not "Superdwarvenly Tough" that time increases to ludicris amounts.

If they are "Superdwarvenly Tough" a lot of minor injuries heal nearly instantly, and it takes usually less than a year to heal red injuries to arms/legs.

I would HIGHLY recommend you train all your dwarves you are thinking about making military, using screw pumps. *actually I would recommend doing this for all dwarves since legendary dwarves are much easier to handle when the economy kicks in and your haulers benefit from the speed boost!*

-- If you want to make handling the dwarven professions a bit easier, use the link in my sig and get Dwarf therapist, works really well.

Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 04:20:07 pm »

but I don't think the probability of getting a large gem depends on anything (you will of course get more large gems in a given timeframe from skilled cutters than from unskilled ones, since they work faster).

Actually I believe it depends on the gemcutting skill. My legendary gem cutter was given 3 raw green glass to work with - 2 of them became 'large' - when he was still learning, he never produced a large one - so I believe it depends on skill.
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks