How does 40d16 compare to 40d?

Higher speed, no problems
Higher speed, problems
Same speed, no problems
Same speed, problems
Lower speed, no problems
Lower speed, problems

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 64

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16  (Read 269247 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16
« Reply #330 on: August 31, 2009, 04:44:21 pm »

HOLY FU...

on it.

EDIT: http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/~mayday/upload/maydayMIX.png
Here. It's both an apng AND it's 64x64 so you can work out the tilegrid size problems :)

Wow, that high-res dwarf looks great.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 31, 2009, 04:49:55 pm »

Oh, and APNGs would be trivial to support. Hand me an APNG tileset, and I'll implement it in half an hour.

HOLY FU...

on it.

EDIT: http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/~mayday/upload/maydayMIX.png
Here. It's both an apng AND it's 64x64 so you can work out the tilegrid size problems :)
I'll work on the tilegrid issues.

But are you sure that's a valid apng? I don't see any animation in firefox, whereas the wikipedia demonstrative apng works; also, opening it in gimp gives me a corruption warning from libpng. What did you use to make it?

EDIT: Oh, wait, I see animation now. That was not overly obvious.. okay, I'll see what I can do with this.

(Also, although implementation would be about half an hour (at a guess), I'm going to sleep now.)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 04:51:32 pm by Baughn »
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #332 on: August 31, 2009, 04:51:14 pm »

ah, dang.
It shows properly as an animation in MY firefox.
I used a gif->apng converter since my copy of photoshop doesn't support apngs.
I need to look up a plugin, can't seem to find it by basic googling.

EDIT: the only animation is the dwarf blinking. Maybe that's why you didn't notice? I did it real quick so it's nothing compared to the wonderful possibilities.
EDIT2: there you go ;) Sleep tight!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 04:52:51 pm by Mike Mayday »
<3

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 31, 2009, 05:11:59 pm »

Implementing this via apng would be hard, since it'd need a patched libpng.

Instead, can you provide a .gif or .mng? (I can't seem to find any programs capable of reading apngs on my system other than firefox, which doesn't help.)
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
<3

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #335 on: August 31, 2009, 05:40:41 pm »

Doublepost to draw B's attention:
here's something less horrible for more convenient testing:
http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/~mayday/upload/herrb.gif
<3

Rozen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 31, 2009, 05:44:22 pm »

Oh dear, I just annoyed myself. ::) That is on a Mac 10.5.7...

Just starting to play with 40d16. I am getting this error on load:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It seems to work fine after clicking ok, though I've only just embarked. I'll update if something goes screwy.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d15
« Reply #337 on: August 31, 2009, 08:10:29 pm »

Are there plans to add conditionals and loops to the macro function. Will this need to wait till the next release/Toady's approval?
I don't have any plans to make a more complex scripting language out of it.  Loops already exist.  Any entry in a macro can be repeated up to 255 times.  More complex loops can be done rather easily by having one macro call another a certain number of times.  Infinite loops can be achieved by having a macro call itself.

Conditionals would start to need variables and access to more portions of the private DF code.   I think Toady would agree with me that such levels of programming are not really necessary for playing the game.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 31, 2009, 08:28:51 pm »

I don't know if this is something that sprang up in an earlier version, since I've mostly been playing d12.  I downloaded d16 today to try it, and after copying over the init.txt by hand (as in, changing the relevant things, not just copying one file onto another), and one of the things I copied over from d12 was changing SINGLE_BUFFER:NO to :YES -- though it's not even mentioned in the descriptive text above it, so should it even be there?  Anyway, I then tried running d16, and the graphics became EXTREMELY laggy -- 13 seconds or so per graphical update, even though the FPS meter wasn't indicating this.  I could still change selections on the menu (as in, move to "quit"), but this wasn't shown anywhere near right away.

Changing back to SINGLE_BUFFER:NO or removing it from the init.txt entirely seemed to fix this for me, though I'm still wondering why that happened, and why it didn't happen in d12.

Edit: I second this question:
Also,
- 800x600 tileset looking squashed. Fixed by having toady double its height. 1:1 aspect ratio is the only one supported now, and probably always.

Why'd you do that?

I had to copy the 800x600 tileset from d12, because that doubled tileset was just HUGE, and I don't see what was gained from making it larger.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 08:32:59 pm by Malicus »

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 31, 2009, 08:31:50 pm »

Does "translucent tilesets" mean that you can see things that are under miasma/smoke/steam? Or does that entail more than changing tilesets?
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 31, 2009, 08:36:18 pm »

Does "translucent tilesets" mean that you can see things that are under miasma/smoke/steam? Or does that entail more than changing tilesets?

No, it won't do anything as fancy as that.  It mainly means that tiles can have areas that are semi-transparent to the tile background color, rather than being forced to be either totally transparent or totally opaque.

rud

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 31, 2009, 10:17:53 pm »

zooming is working great, everything runs fast, and my autohotkey scripts that broke in d14 are working again in d16. 

SoggyDog

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Hope is not a strategy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 01, 2009, 12:06:14 am »

zooming is working great, everything runs fast, and my autohotkey scripts that broke in d14 are working again in d16. 

I've been a supporter/contributor to the AutoHotkey Forum for years;
The only Dwarf Fortress thread I've seen there, I started myself a month or so ago
[link].

What functions/actions do your scripts perform?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 12:40:28 am by SoggyDog »
                                   “Yes,” I said. “Isn’t it pretty to think so?”
                                              – Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises (1926)

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 01, 2009, 12:54:42 am »

Just thought I'd note that the GIMP can save .mng files.
(Can't load them though, oddly enough.)
Tis far better to be a witty fool than a foolish wit.

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d15
« Reply #344 on: September 01, 2009, 01:00:30 am »

I was planning to implement SVG tilesets, which should about do that - but I figure I'll wait until Toady has worked out what the "full graphics support" eternal voting thingy means.
A single SVG tileset would be an improvement over a single bitmap, but still would not be nearly as good as multiple alternative bitmaps.

TrueType would be an improvement on SVG, because of the hinting system.   I know offhand of three free-beer monospace fonts with the full CP437 repertoire used by standard DF, and WinXP comes with a fourth.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 64