Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Human Fortress?  (Read 3680 times)

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
Re: Human Fortress?
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2009, 09:50:06 am »

Welcome to the forum Hamlmie!

Yes my first Human fort went rather badly
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2009, 10:54:46 am »

One thing to remember when playing with humans is that you don't get most (any?) of the nobles, at least without more modding. At least that's what I read to my disappointment on the forums when playing my humantown.

I don't think that's true. I think the nobility is hard coded to come at certain points in the life of your fortress, no matter what race you're playing. I'm playing as goblins right now, and I've got a count and a hammerer and a philosopher. Not exactly gobliny things. When I played as humans, I got the full set of nobility, and I certainly wasn't expecting them.

Oh. Well I only played to population 60, so I stand corrected. When my expedition leader didn't upgrade to mayor at 50, I started wondering and then read from some thread that humans don't get mayors and/or other nobles. I did get to appoint a sheriff though. I suppose the mayor upgrade is the only glitch then.

BTW I think a hammerer is quite a gobliny thing :P Have to agree about the philosopher though.

Humans lack the [MAYOR] tag in their init file. I specifically eliminated that from a modded civ of mine to prevent them from having mayors. Note that in vanilla dwarves are the only ones who have it.

Incidentally, the modded civ I am using simulates humans, only with even shorter life spans, so that I have generations of leaders to fill my crypts.

Got dwarf fortress recently and immediatly got drawn in by modding, anyway I got humans, started then cleared and area for the main hall (one human was taken by a carp while drinking in the process) :o.

I then started to build it and my farm at the same time. I was told I couldn't build some of my floors becuase of "object in the way" or something along the lines, same thing for my farm. I finally finished with the halls floors and built beds and realised that they couldn't be placed on floors. I immediatly started destroying them after wasting serious amounts of wood but I was distracted becuase the carps had claimed another victim.

The farm still wasn't up and my third man has just drowned. But losing is fun isnt it. :) I have to admit I agree.
P.S. Hi, that was my first post.

Don't build constructed floors anywhere except the air. Anything on the ground that someone other than the builder wants to move forces the suspension of the floor, and the micro required to complete large stretches of floor is ridiculous. Just smooth the ground.

However, beds, furniture, etc. can all be built on constructed floors. That isn't the problem. Only other constructions like walls and fortifications cannot be built on constructed floors.

The thing with farms is that if any tile of the farm lies on non-soil, the laying out of the farm becomes glitchy. Just lay the plots on soil only.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 11:00:32 am by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Sethner Von Hertts

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Creed: Fiat Justitia Ruat Caelum
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2009, 04:32:59 pm »

how would one find the human civ entry, and what program is used to view the files properly?
If the all those in the heavens refuse me salvation, then all those in the heavens will die by my hands.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2009, 05:06:16 pm »

Dwarf Fortress/raw/objects/entity.txt

Scroll down a little to [ENTRY:PLAINS] or whatever it is.

All you need is a text file viewer and editor, such as notepad.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Sethner Von Hertts

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Creed: Fiat Justitia Ruat Caelum
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2009, 05:27:40 pm »

okay, I created a special copy of DF labled Human City, and it works.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 10:02:45 pm by Sethner Von Hertts »
If the all those in the heavens refuse me salvation, then all those in the heavens will die by my hands.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2009, 04:16:16 am »

Nice hows the outpost going?

Rob Allen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2009, 01:11:50 pm »

I took a fairly different approach to a human fortress.  I knew defense would be an issue and making everything on the surface would make things tricky, so I started my fortress in an existing village where I had retired several of my best adventurers.  The village had been ravaged by wolves and foxes lately, so most of the population was dead and there were many abandoned homes as well as plenty of salvage lying around.  The best of my adventurers actually started in this village, so it was his home village, together with his companions and the other adventurers that joined him decided to rebuild his village but also create a kind of Ninja Dojo (I am using my own mod which adds a playable oriental race with japanese weapons).  The idea is to build this depopulated village into a secret training center with weapons, armor, items, and whatever else might be useful to my adventurer when I un-retire him afterwards - provided he survives the trials to come.

The fortress is built in the center of an existing village, so I already have a meeting hall and several abandoned homes to use for my starting humans.  The meeting hall has beds so I can deal with migrants.  The town's pikemaster is nearby as well as my adventurers and thier companions, making a powerful defensive force though the area is untamed wilds, so frequent attacks by wolves and foxes and other creatures are common.  It is a forest village, so there are plenty of trees.  Salvaging all of the equipment off the dead provided me with an ample treasure horde to buy any items from caravans I may need.  There is no stone on the map and the aquifer is only 2 levels down so I will need to buy all the stone I need.  We have a farm going already, with strawberries and rat weed growing so far, though we hardly need food with all the dead racoons and wolves lying around.  We have 2 cats, a kitten, and a handful of dogs, one of which is a war dog, so we can handle vermin as well as any other minor nuisances.

It's still summer of the first year so I haven't been tested by winter yet.  We already had a kobold thief try to make off with some of the loot lying all around but he was chased off by my half-elf thief before he could grab anything.  We've got a well-shaft built but need mechanisms to build it.  A trade caravan is on its way so we should be able to buy some stone from them hopefully.  I repurposed one of the abandoned shops into a trade depot and dug a 2-level cellar complex below the town center which we are using to store all the loot.  I converted the food shop into a food storage with cellar.  Should be plenty of room for food in there.  I haven't actually constructed any structures out of wood so far, but I will probably need to soon since the other buildings in the town are spread out a bit and it will be more efficient to build closer in.  I haven't built a wall yet.  I was able to get a lot of resource points to bring plants, seeds, and livestock by giving up my anvil.  I figure we're probably not going to be forging alot of metal right away and we can just buy an anvil later if we need it.

All of my starting humans have weapons and armor skill so they won't get killed too easily if they are caught away from the area protected by the adventurers and surviving population.

I don't expect this fortress to get too big, it's mostly just intended to provide a base of operations I can operate out of when I re-activate my primary adventurer and raise an squad to take on a titan that has been terrorizing the capital of my civilization for years.

As for neighbors, the area has no notable hostiles, though I expect goblins and kobolds as usual.  The Orcs are far away and there are elves and humans nearby who I should be able to trade with.  There is also a barbarian clan up in the mountains nearby who may trade though I'm not sure about that since DF tends to make the [civ_controllable] races untradeable.

I'd visualize it for a screenshot but right now it's not too impressive.  Just a bunch of buildings in a forest centered around some murky pools and a well in the middle.  Once the actual structural work on the academy begins, I'll probably be joining together most of the existing buildings and re-arranging things for efficiency's sake.  In the meantime, my humans seem to be fairly happy and efficient.  It is a bit odd that my lumberjacks are using naginata's to chop down trees, but I guess it works.  Maybe I should have allowed them to use normal axes.  On that note, does anyone know what medieval japan used for wood-cutting axes?

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2009, 03:44:38 pm »

Japenies pesantry used axes, the handle is curved and the axe heads made in a funny way so it look a bit like a hatchet/throwing axe cross

Rob Allen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2009, 08:34:11 pm »

I did some research and Japanese Ono are going into the next version of my mod, including hatchets and hand axes for some of the other races.  The Ono is basically a Japanese hand-axe (as in non-martial), used for chopping wood and such.  Ono literally means "Axe", and most Japanese axes were not used for military use.  The Japanese idea of a military axe or battle axe is the Naginata anyway.

It'll still be satisfying to split goblin skulls with the Ono anyway. :)

Too late to get them into this version of my Ninja Fortress but still good for the next version.  Unfortunately it looks like the caravan wasn't carrying any stone so the well is still out.  Somehow 2 racoons and a bear managed to get on top of one of the homes and were scaring villagers during thier daily business.  We couldn't even build a ramp or stairs up to the roof to shoo them off, so I grabbed 3 peasants, gave them some surplus tantos and ninjatos, and made them temporary Ashigaru.  We built some stairs to another nearby hovel's roof and I had another peasant bravely bridge the two roofs with a long plank rigged at the end with 3 animal traps.  The 3 Ashigaru stood at one end of the plank when it was built.  The animals, as I expected, started moving across the wide plank and got stuck in the traps where the Ashigaru slaughtered them.  I'm not sure if the bear actually got stuck in the trap, it all happened too quickly.  Before too long there was a nice mess and I was able to put the Ashigaru back to work.

We left the plank there and removed the traps.  If I had more peasants we might even be able to salvage the corpses but they are starting to rot already.  At least they're not scaring the locals anymore.  It would have been alot easier to just shoot them down but the Ninjas don't have any crossbows and DF won't let me appoint bowmen, so we're stuck with melee weapons right now.  Too bad I can't have throwers either, I would have just given a few of my peasants some of the surplus shuriken we have and had them peg the animals off the roof from the other roof.  Oh well.  This worked.

A Halfling caravan just showed up.  I hadn't expected the Halflings to make the long trip from the dales of the south all the way up to our little village.  Perhaps I should have - they are known for their trading aptitude after all.  They brought stone blocks, which we may just be able to use.  I still can't build the well since they didn't bring any raw non-economic stone, but maybe I can work out a trade agreement with them.  They were quite interested in the bits of small armor we had lying around, probably some of the spoils of war my Ninja had brought back during his questing days.  Anticipating a winter without a well, I constructed a small interior cistern of sorts at the bottom of the well stair with 3 drinking troughs just above the aquifer.  If the old trick about interior water not freezing in winter holds true, we should be able to hole up in there when the pools freeze and have our fill of watery goodness.

One of the halfling merchants killed a kobold thief trying to make off with a bracelet.  It was interesting because halflings are not very violent people and the merchant was unarmed.  He pretty much just ripped the kobold's face off.  Of course, we salvaged the dagger and leathers.  I've already got plans for kobold-bone arrows and other crafts, even if we can't actually fire the arrows (grumble).  Unfortunately, we've had more serious thieving problems.  Dark elves from the haunted woods of the East have apparently been lurking in our forest and stole some of the weapons and armor lying around outside.  We haven't had time to move it all to the underground storages yet so they were able to get quite a bit of it.  The Dark Elves are sneakier and more clever than the kobolds apparently and have not been easy to catch.  They are quick and managed to outrun one of our warhorses.  Once we can get the loot moved inside it should be harder for them to pull that off, but traps are still going to be difficult to build without stone for mechanisms.  We'll be relying pretty heavily on trade, but we expected that.

Winter is coming.  Food supplies are still good, but the farms are struggling.  Fortunately there seem to be plenty of traders interested in us.  And it looks like there are some migrants on the way.  More mouths to feed, or more help around the farm?  I suppose we'll see...

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2009, 10:46:28 am »

can you build tables,chairs,beds on floors?
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2009, 05:10:48 pm »

only if there inside
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]