Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Human Fortress?  (Read 3689 times)

neek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Human Fortress?
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2009, 01:06:57 am »

1). When building a human settlement, remember that while individual houses are nice, the first thing that should be built is a communal hall. Build one up and put some beds in it, keep a free area. This'll help with the migrant versus construction rate. The communal hall can also serve as a (realistic) meeting area and meeting zone.

2.) Communal housing can save you space; set up apartments within a building, have a dining room in it with some food storages. This keeps it nice and neat.

3). Everyone is a carpenter or a mason. If there isn't something pressing, put them to work raising walls and spend their time roofing. I'd also start up and work down, instead of the more realistic way: Build a few supporting walls in the corners, and a ramp going up (ramps save time so you don't have to build both upstairs and downstairs), and build the roof. You can build rooms even if there aren't any walls, even though they might complain about the draft.

4). Humans drink water, booze fucks them up and slows them down. Wells'd do you good, and keep your humans away from the river (which is probably why the carp are so fierce--because your fishermen aren't the only ones on the bank.)

5). Walls are awesome. But you know that.

These are some pointers I can give you. I've tried the above-ground fortress with Dwarves. You can build underground, carve in each house and building a cellar for storage. This'll keep your miners trained (somewhat) and give you stockpile room so you don't have to build gigantic warehouses for EVERYTHING.

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2009, 02:32:22 am »

I have a vague memory of making a Human Fort. I had it all castle-like... There was an above ground farm, and tons of cottages. Everyones cellar was connected too. It was cool. Got destroyed in the first attack, but was cool.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2009, 04:33:39 am »

1). When building a human settlement, remember that while individual houses are nice, the first thing that should be built is a communal hall. Build one up and put some beds in it, keep a free area. This'll help with the migrant versus construction rate. The communal hall can also serve as a (realistic) meeting area and meeting zone.

2.) Communal housing can save you space; set up apartments within a building, have a dining room in it with some food storages. This keeps it nice and neat.

3). Everyone is a carpenter or a mason. If there isn't something pressing, put them to work raising walls and spend their time roofing. I'd also start up and work down, instead of the more realistic way: Build a few supporting walls in the corners, and a ramp going up (ramps save time so you don't have to build both upstairs and downstairs), and build the roof. You can build rooms even if there aren't any walls, even though they might complain about the draft.

4). Humans drink water, booze fucks them up and slows them down. Wells'd do you good, and keep your humans away from the river (which is probably why the carp are so fierce--because your fishermen aren't the only ones on the bank.)

5). Walls are awesome. But you know that.

These are some pointers I can give you. I've tried the above-ground fortress with Dwarves. You can build underground, carve in each house and building a cellar for storage. This'll keep your miners trained (somewhat) and give you stockpile room so you don't have to build gigantic warehouses for EVERYTHING.

This man knows what he is talking about, well done sir!
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2009, 05:05:04 am »

i've noticed some quirky things about playing as humans. for example, i got two liasons who both talked to my leader. and when the seasons change, it says something like 'summer has come on the calendar'

KaziArmada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2009, 01:03:23 am »

i've noticed some quirky things about playing as humans. for example, i got two liasons who both talked to my leader. and when the seasons change, it says something like 'summer has come on the calendar'
Really?...Damn..toady really DOES think of everything...

Post more pictures as you go along, this is looking cool. You could even try mining out the area around the town *It looks like its on a raised Plateu*...Make yourself a big old defensable castle-ish thing :D

avari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2009, 03:00:41 am »

One thing to remember when playing with humans is that you don't get most (any?) of the nobles, at least without more modding. At least that's what I read to my disappointment on the forums when playing my humantown.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2009, 04:00:11 am »

You forgot to remove the [MERCHANT_NOBILITY] tag in the human's entity file.

The summer coming on the calendar refers to when your fort is in a tropical hot climate, like a jungle at the extreme north or south of a world map. There's no discernible change in temperature, so they keep track of when summer comes by the calendar. Nothing to do with playing as humans.

One thing to remember when playing with humans is that you don't get most (any?) of the nobles, at least without more modding. At least that's what I read to my disappointment on the forums when playing my humantown.

I don't think that's true. I think the nobility is hard coded to come at certain points in the life of your fortress, no matter what race you're playing. I'm playing as goblins right now, and I've got a count and a hammerer and a philosopher. Not exactly gobliny things. When I played as humans, I got the full set of nobility, and I certainly wasn't expecting them.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

avari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2009, 06:48:43 am »

I don't think that's true. I think the nobility is hard coded to come at certain points in the life of your fortress, no matter what race you're playing. I'm playing as goblins right now, and I've got a count and a hammerer and a philosopher. Not exactly gobliny things. When I played as humans, I got the full set of nobility, and I certainly wasn't expecting them.

Oh. Well I only played to population 60, so I stand corrected. When my expedition leader didn't upgrade to mayor at 50, I started wondering and then read from some thread that humans don't get mayors and/or other nobles. I did get to appoint a sheriff though. I suppose the mayor upgrade is the only glitch then.

BTW I think a hammerer is quite a gobliny thing :P Have to agree about the philosopher though.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2009, 12:32:55 am »

I made a lovely human town, with an inn containing well, tables and beds for the homeless, 3x3 housing for those with workshops to live in (stone walls, wooden floors and roof, ground floor for workshop, basement for storage and 2nd storey for housing), massive warehouse and a motte and bailey castle for the nobility and military -all stone and ores from a mine on the edge of town. all of this was on a 3-wide main road with the map edge on one end and a fishing pier on the other. i had a big enough map that the trees were sustainable for the sheer amount of logging.
one problem... THE ONLY NEIGHBORING CIV WAS THE GRASSLANDHOME

shitfuckabandon!
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2009, 12:47:30 pm »

4). Humans drink water, booze fucks them up and slows them down.

Is this true? I thought lacking the [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT] tag simply meant they needed to drink something as opposed to were negatively affected by alcohol.
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

Mogul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2009, 02:22:42 pm »

The summer coming on the calendar refers to when your fort is in a tropical hot climate, like a jungle at the extreme north or south of a world map. There's no discernible change in temperature, so they keep track of when summer comes by the calendar. Nothing to do with playing as humans.

I don't think this is entirely true. When I embarked on a tropical jungle there were only 2 seasons, dry season and wet season, and were announced as such.

GreenMarine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2009, 02:23:29 am »

I'm trying a human game as well. Found a cool area that was the intersection of two rivers. It created a very powerful small river that flooded the lowlands, creating a small freshwater lake. However, I realized late that I didn't bring the appropriate seeds to make food with. I also had a problem penetrating the aquifer and my miner died (I was trying the ceiling collapse method, but he drowned).

I also had an issue where one of my wood choppers dropped his axe and couldn't pick it up again. It was a double iron axe. Any reason why this would happen? He kept trying to pick it up, but couldn't.
"Your brother made an artifact when he was ten! What have you done with your life?!"

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2009, 12:02:20 pm »

I reached 120 Population, and I still don't got any nobles except the dungeon master! Not even a mayor or a captain of the guard!

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2009, 01:44:17 pm »

I also had an issue where one of my wood choppers dropped his axe and couldn't pick it up again. It was a double iron axe. Any reason why this would happen? He kept trying to pick it up, but couldn't.

You'll want to set him to use two handed weapons. go to the dwarf p:Pref, s:Soldiering, m:Number of Weapons. Number of Weapons should be 2. You can do it through the military screen too.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2009, 09:13:06 am »

Got dwarf fortress recently and immediatly got drawn in by modding, anyway I got humans, started then cleared and area for the main hall (one human was taken by a carp while drinking in the process) :o.

I then started to build it and my farm at the same time. I was told I couldn't build some of my floors becuase of "object in the way" or something along the lines, same thing for my farm. I finally finished with the halls floors and built beds and realised that they couldn't be placed on floors. I immediatly started destroying them after wasting serious amounts of wood but I was distracted becuase the carps had claimed another victim.

The farm still wasn't up and my third man has just drowned. But losing is fun isnt it. :) I have to admit I agree.
P.S. Hi, that was my first post.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 09:14:40 am by Halmie »
Meh.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4