Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Ucatonol, Dwarven Brewery (Community Fort)  (Read 4933 times)

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ucatonol, Dwarven Brewery (Community Fort)
« on: September 18, 2009, 11:19:55 pm »

Prologue:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Out of the blue; Ucatonol "Beermountain", my first attempt at a community fort! The Mountainhomes are experiencing an alcohol crisis, so a band of intrepid dwarves is being sent out by their unstable, soapmaker-oppressing king into the vast Swamp of Charm to kick ass, brew beer, and piss off elves.

-Vanilla DF, with the exception of adding the Orc Mod (everyone loves them)!
-Embarking with no drink/seeds!
-Selling as much alcohol as possible back to the dwarf merchants every autumn!
-Pissing off elves! (probably)

We've got 3 men and 3 women to claim, so I'll accomodate your claims as closely as possible. I'll start the fort tomorrow once everyone is claimed/I get bored of waiting. I'll have plenty of time this weekend, but updates thereafter may be sporadic.

Onward to horrible, grizzly death at the hands of an incompetent lunatic Adventure!

-------------

« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 09:00:51 pm by HailFire »
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

hexedmagica

• Bay Watcher
  • This headless lover of three
    • View Profile
Re: Ucatonol, Dwarven Brewery (Community Fort)
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 11:31:04 pm »

What's every dwarf's skills?
They started to collide~

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 11:35:08 pm »

What's every dwarf's skills?

I haven't embarked yet, so if you want a dwarf, post what skills you want him/her/it to have.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

hexedmagica

• Bay Watcher
  • This headless lover of three
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 11:51:34 pm »

Okay. :D

Hexedmagica.
Proficient Miner
Competent Mechanic
Bone Carver

First signup as well.
They started to collide~

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 05:30:25 am »

Plank of Wood
Proficient Brewer
Competant Cook
Wrestler

Meet the bartender!
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 05:52:25 am »

name: Bomrek Floyd
Professions: Proficient cook, Proficient brewer.
Description: Bomrek Floyd is the leading cook of the mountainhomes. His anarchic, boozy public demonstrations have bought him fame and a place as a national icon, but as a Legendary Alcoholic, he cannot stay any longer in the dry mountainhomes. He also has a tendency to berate anyone who gets in the way of his cooking and brewing.

(If you can't guess which awesome dead chef this is based of, you are insufficiently dwarvish.)
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 06:20:56 am »

Elaine Barrel-axe

Novice woodcutter
skilled Carpenter

competent Axe-dwarf
armor user

Cuz we'll need a ladies touch in the barrels we send home. and a girl to hold her own when shit inevitably hits the fan.

Edit: Her bloodline earned the name Barel-axe and their common family profession by one of her ansestors who in a sober rage destroyed all the empty barrels by putting them to the axe, as punishment he had to make barrels from now on, it seems the ancestor was really good at this task and from there it was passed along the male line of the family and eventually also the female line.

it is rare to find Elaine without her battle-axe who (when nobody is looking) adresses as Lord bluntly, Asside from that shes as sane as any dwarf would be.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 07:46:52 am by Talvara »

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 06:42:24 am »

name: Bomrek Floyd
Professions: Proficient cook, Proficient brewer.
Description: Bomrek Floyd is the leading cook of the mountainhomes. His anarchic, boozy public demonstrations have bought him fame and a place as a national icon, but as a Legendary Alcoholic, he cannot stay any longer in the dry mountainhomes. He also has a tendency to berate anyone who gets in the way of his cooking and brewing.

(If you can't guess which awesome dead chef this is based of, you are insufficiently dwarvish.)

RIP, Keith.

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 08:56:28 am »

Name: Grubbles
Profession:

Novice Thresher
Competent Herbalist
Novice Ambusher (Turn him off hunting)

Description: A specialized plant gatherer from the mountainhomes! He is very dumb, and likes to say 'durpdedurp' constantly when he works. He is afraid of wolves.

Astus Ater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 09:16:08 am »

Name: Astus
Novice Soaper
Novice Trapper
Competant Mechanic

Very paranoid(with good reason, he's a soapmaker), signed up for the expedition to hide his soapmaking-hide from the King.
Legendary Liar:  "I just stabbed you and you died.  Sorry."
Victim:  "Well, if you say so." *thud*

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 09:55:07 am »

All dwarves are claimed, currently working on embarkation.

I had almost got things going, before I realized I dropped the ball by embarking as the wrong civ.  :-X

EDIT: Embarked! Starting the game now, first update will be soonish.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 12:41:21 pm by HailFire »

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 01:13:07 pm »

May I make diary entries?

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 01:37:07 pm »

May I make diary entries?

I suppose. Additionally, I've played through the first spring; working on formulating notes into a story post (though nothing much is going on yet).

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 04:37:37 pm »

Excerpts from the journal of Darzh Greyhammer, dwarf foreman:

Twenty-First of Obsidian, Year 200: The booze shortage has been ravaging the Mountainhomes. The last drops of alcohol around are being hoarded and sold- at exorbiant prices- by oppourtunists, and muggings are on the rise. It's taking the best the Fortress Guard has to keep civil unrest down, and even they're fed up. Dwarves are unsuited to sobriety.

Twenty-Second of Obsidian, Year 200: Met some guy named Urist today. He said he was a brewer, so I wasn't surprised he was distraught; he looked like he'd seen a demon. It turns out he'd seen the King, which, given the circumstances, was close enough. Anyway, he was ordered to assemble a team of dwarves to head out and construct a great dwarven brewery to solve the alcohol problem. I told him he'd come to the right dwarf- I've overseen the construction of fortifications, and a brewery that'd last a year out there's going to need to be built like a fortress.

That thought put a gleam in our eyes: Don't just build a brewery; construct a massive fortress dedicated to the production of alcohol! It'll act as a shield to keep goblins and orcs out of the mountains (Urist says the King told him to build it out in the swamp), solve all of our unemployment issues, and provide booze to the mountainhomes in their time of need! No- everyone! (well, not the greenskins of the hippies, but you get the idea) A giant stone and iron monolith gushing glorious brew for all dwarves, everywhere! We'd be heroes!

With that as our moniker (Booze For All!), we started packing for the trip: I have a wagon, and he'd get the supplies (such as was available). In addition, he'd already got together a few recruits: Hex (short for Hexedmagica, I'm told); she's an eccentric- but experienced- miner, Plank; the proprietor of a local bar (some theorize: "She's called Plank 'cos she's flat as a board!", but these people no longer frequent her establishment), and Elaine Barrel-Axe, a a skilled axedwarf and cooper from a long line of axedwarves and coopers (for some reason that I cannot fathom, when most of the dwarves around here hear "Cooper", they think about raccoons. Therefore, allow me to eludicate: Cooperage is the high art of barrel-making).

We hope to embark on our journey tomorrow, as it's late. Shouldn't be hard to recruit a couple more sturdy lads.

Twenty-Third of Obsidian, Year 200: Had to tempt Fate, didn't I? The first riots started out today, and all Hell has been busily breaking loose.

We finished packing up were about to haul ass when the Captain of the Guard intercepted us with a message from the King, emphasizing the urgency of the situation and detailing our quota (load the caravans with as much booze as dwarvenly possible), as well as the final note "-and we don't want any of that prissy elven 'whine' crap!". No matter how desperate we are, we're still dwarves, and we still have standards.

Also, I spotted the Hammerer snooping around the wagon for some reason. We're moving out.

A little down the road, we found a caravan. One of ours, it seems, and loaded with barrels, to boot. Unfortunately, wrecked by orc raiders. Or at least, that's what it looks like, but Hex thinks there's something fishy about it, and I agree.

Some good news, though: we found a survivor! Even better news; it's Bomrek Floyd, a national hero by account of his talent for brewing and cooking. It turns  out that he had hopped on the caravan bound for our Mountainhome in the hopes that the booze crisis was less severe than in the poorer outposts; the caravan itself was loaded with brew, having traded with the humans to try and bring some relief. When the orcs hit, he managed to hide under an upturned wagon with a few barrels and waited until they moved off. When we told him about the state of the Mountainhomes, he decided to join up with us.

Being a legendary alchoholic, of course, he'd just finished off his stash when we found him. It's funny, though (and not in a funny way, mind you); when he got a good look around the rest of the caravan, he noted that most of the booze had been stolen, and the remaining barrels were empty. He insists that's he's been under that wagon for hours, and Elaine says orcs don't care for alcohol (though how she knows this I don't know, and haven't dared ask).

Twenty-Fifth of Obsidian, Year 200: Mostly uneventful today. At the edge of the swamp, we found one "Grubbles", an herbalist from the Mountainhomes whom had  been sent out to "get plants". He's clearly not very bright; due, I'd imagine, to non-specific nature of his orders, he's spent the past few days trying to figure out how to move the entire swamp back home en masse. We're taking him with us, as he'd probably die if we left him much longer on his own.

We also found out why the Hammerer had been poking around our wagons back home; we discovered another dwarf hiding amongst our supplies. His name's Astus, and apparently he hid there to evade King Cilob's general oppression of soapers. We were about to throw him out, but apparently he's a competent mechanic too, which may be useful.

Twenty-Seventh of Obsidian, Year 200: Tragedy struck today. We woke up to discover most of our supplies gone, and Urist dead. We might not have had any idea what happened, but Grubbles has a surprisingly good eye; he noticed some tracks nearby that the rest of us had missed. Astus says they're dwarves' boots, and Plank thinks she knows who: Urist was the only one among us who had boots like that, as part of his Brewer's Guild uniform.

There's something amiss here, we can all feel it.

(Next post, actual gameplay! Hope I didn't misrepresent anyone too badly.)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 04:40:46 pm by HailFire »

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 04:51:04 pm »

Heh, cool. My character is just how I wanted.
Pages: [1] 2 3