Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9934 9935 [9936]

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 6173646 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #149025 on: Today at 04:20:04 am »

So, given the unreliability of this supposed ancient source, we have to come to the conclusion that the actual source of the expression is a famous internet video which was prevalent in shock sites
BTW since Shit-eating grin has been around since at least the 1970s, and the earliest attested date is 1957, not only is it not an internet thing, it's a Boomer Meme.

You'll need to try harder then, and come up with a new meme that will offend Boomers who already know "shit-eating grin"

How about "horse jism gargling grin"?
« Last Edit: Today at 04:22:13 am by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149026 on: Today at 04:28:35 am »

They seem pretty pissed by "OK Boomer" already.  Who knew that a "loud, obnoxious, and entitled to a cliche degree" generation would find such offense by simple dismissiveness? LOL

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149027 on: Today at 04:30:10 am »

Honestly, there's a biblical reference to shit eating.  Clearly it is indeed quite old.

Quote from: 2 kings 18
26Then said Eliakim the son of Hilkiah, and Shebna, and Joah, unto Rabshakeh, Speak, I pray thee, to thy servants in the Syrian language; for we understand it: and talk not with us in the Jews' language in the ears of the people that are on the wall. 27But Rabshakeh said unto them, Hath my master sent me to thy master, and to thee, to speak these words? hath he not sent me to the men which sit on the wall, that they may eat their own dung, and drink their own piss with you?
Why did Rabshakeh say that exactly?
I recently became a objectivist, I am reasonably certain that means all my opinions are now universal fact.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149028 on: Today at 04:36:27 am »

Honestly, there's a biblical reference to shit eating.  Clearly it is indeed quite old.

Quote from: 2 kings 18
26Then said Eliakim the son of Hilkiah, and Shebna, and Joah, unto Rabshakeh, Speak, I pray thee, to thy servants in the Syrian language; for we understand it: and talk not with us in the Jews' language in the ears of the people that are on the wall. 27But Rabshakeh said unto them, Hath my master sent me to thy master, and to thee, to speak these words? hath he not sent me to the men which sit on the wall, that they may eat their own dung, and drink their own piss with you?
Why did Rabshakeh say that exactly?

There's some commentary by some biblical scholar on that--

Quote from: commentary
Pulpit Commentary
Verse 27. - But Rabshakeh said unto them, Hath my master sent me to thy master, and to thee, to speak these words? hath he not sent me to the men which sit on the wall? An intolerable speech on the part of an envoy, and one which might have justified an order to send an arrow through his head. Ambassadors are accredited by governments to governments, and the safe conduct granted to them is on the understanding that they will conduct themselves according to established usage. In no state of society can it have been allowable for envoys to intervene between the governors and the governed, and endeavor to stir up discontent among the latter. Yet this is what Rabshakeh did, and boasted of doing. Well might Isaiah say of such an arrogant and lawless aggressor, "He hath broken the covenant, he hath despised the cities, he regardeth no man" (see Isaiah 33:8). That they may eat their own dung, and drink their own piss with you? Rabshakeh means to say that the effect of the men "sitting on the wall," and continuing the defense of the town, will be to bring them to the last extremity of hunger and thirst, when they will be forced even to consume their own excrement (comp. 2 Kings 6:25-29).

It has parallels to the "Ezekiel bread" much earlier in the bible.

Quote from: ezekiel 4
7“Therefore you shall set your face toward the siege of Jerusalem; your arm shall be uncovered, and you shall prophesy against it. 8And surely I will [a]restrain you so that you cannot turn from one side to another till you have ended the days of your siege.

9“Also take for yourself wheat, barley, beans, lentils, millet, and spelt; put them into one vessel, and make bread of them for yourself. During the number of days that you lie on your side, three hundred and ninety days, you shall eat it. 10And your food which you eat shall be by weight, twenty shekels a day; from time to time you shall eat it. 11You shall also drink water by measure, one-sixth of a hin; from time to time you shall drink. 12And you shall eat it as barley cakes; and bake it using fuel of human waste in their sight.”

13Then the Lord said, “So shall the children of Israel eat their defiled bread among the Gentiles, where I will drive them.”
« Last Edit: Today at 04:38:47 am by wierd »
Pages: 1 ... 9934 9935 [9936]