Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 201708 times)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1260 on: February 07, 2010, 12:31:06 pm »

Have they just arrived? They'll be setting up. If you (q) over it and they say "Sorry, we're still unloading" or something, you'll have to wait a bit.
Otherwise, wall off the depot, wait for them to die, and loot them.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1261 on: February 07, 2010, 12:32:44 pm »

I want their stuff! Could have anything to do with the fact that a siege just killed three of their number?
That's exactly the case.  If any merchants get killed, the rest panic, don't trade, and run off the map first chance they get.  If you don't let them leave they'll eventually go insane.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Corinthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: February 07, 2010, 12:50:44 pm »

Oh I see... that's inconvenient. Ok, so if I wait for them to all starve and die, and then take all their stuff, they will still come next year right?

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: February 07, 2010, 12:59:29 pm »

They might. They could bring fewer goods, in which case you give them tons of free food/stonecrafts so they'll bring more next year (don't do this for elves), or they'll become consumed by their burning RAEG and siege you. In this case, wall up, get a bunch of marksdwarves/catapults, and kill them all. Eventually they'll send a diplomat; if you speak with him about peace negotiations, they'll trade again.

Corinthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: February 07, 2010, 01:03:37 pm »

Ok, cool, thanks! This sounds fun. Or maybe Fun...

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: February 07, 2010, 03:15:43 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:31:35 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Conflict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: February 07, 2010, 03:25:21 pm »

One one. Starvation.

Alright, I have about fifty dwarves and I'm facing mass starvation which has, to say the least, lead to 12 deaths. Here's some information about my food industry..

Farm
  • 6x9 Plot
  • Underground
  • Has plump helmets planted all four seasons
  • Not a single 'dedicated' farmer. (Skill wise) due to them being killed off in an earlier invasion

- Have limited fishing
- Have limited plant gathering

Suggestions?

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: February 07, 2010, 03:29:20 pm »

Bauglir:

Check they aren't forbidden. I have that same problem sometimes. Also, I think even if they won't be dumped,Masons will still use them. So setting make blocks on repeat might get them eventually..
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: February 07, 2010, 03:38:09 pm »

Conflict, first pause the game. Mull this plan over a bit, be careful about it.
Set 20 dwarves to gather plants; gather a massive swath of shrubs around your fortress (only do this if you're pretty sure you won't get attacked by goblins)
Go to the z-stocks menu. Forbid all food and booze, except prepared meals. Don't worry, your dwarves probably won't die for a few seasons.
Build a ton of breweries and set them all to brew booze. Have the best brewers, or random dwarves if you have none, brew.
Have kitchens, and have booze enabled to cook in the kitchen menu.
Because 1 plant = 1 booze = 5 meals, you can quickly multiply your food stores fivefold.

Also, butcher everything.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1269 on: February 07, 2010, 03:38:57 pm »

Suggestions?
Set a dwarf as a butcher and butcher any spare animals you have.

Set a few dwarves as farmers, a few as brewers, and a few as cooks.  Farm plump helmets.  Brew them to alcohol.  Cook the alcohol.  Repeat.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: February 07, 2010, 03:45:47 pm »

That too.

Also if it gets really desperate you could just find some dwarves with no friends, or dwarves who are really happy, and kill everyone else.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: February 07, 2010, 03:49:20 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:31:48 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Conflict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: February 07, 2010, 04:01:21 pm »

I don't have that much wood for barrels, either. So I guess it's safe to say I'm screwed :( Everyone's just dropping like flies, and my farmers aren't interested in doing their job >.< That, and fishing isn't coming up with too much.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: February 07, 2010, 04:08:50 pm »

KILL EVERYONE
Have the most friendless or happy dwarves, preferably with "X doesn't care about anything anymore", lock themselves in the farms with all the food/booze there is and a pick, along with anything else useful. Make them all farmers. Leave the rest to die.

Rotinaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: February 07, 2010, 04:10:42 pm »

Do certain dwarves not gain certain attributes? I have a dwarf who is legendary in 3 different skills, but he isn't even "Strong" yet.
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 181