Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 201768 times)

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1245 on: February 06, 2010, 08:13:32 pm »

I found the thing called Tweak that I got to work for vanilla DF but when I input things such as Start Adjust and scroll around to like 10 dwarsfs and 3000 starting points it doesn't work anyway, but since I play that Mike Mayday graphical version I tried getting Tweak to work with that, and did the things on the wiki, but still couldn't do it, I messed around kind of, and messed up the mike mayday version of Df, so uninstalled it with the intention to reinstal and play normal, but none of the links to his version of DF work(they did yestserday), any other links to mike maydays graphical set you know of so I can play the game and not have dwarves being floating smily faces?

I found Version 21 (which might actually be the latest?) of Mayday's release... its now posted http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1840

I don't know what his policy is on his release being on places other than his site, so if the site comes up and anyone knows for sure, I can take it down (I think i can anyway).  It should be the 40d16 based version.

Another thing you can do Thorik is to gen your world and do the embark part in version 40d (so that you can use the utility) and then as soon as you embark, save the game and move the save to the Mayday version and you'll be good to go.

Chaps, as a quick question, can drawbridges be used as a sort of catapult?

Yes and no.... if you do some searching on the forums there was a post a month or so ago where someone did some extensive testing with animals and rocks to see what happens with various bridges when they are raised with things on them. 

The gist of it was that if it was a retracting bridges, you got a normal distribution of items within i think 3 squares of the bridge, and I don't think anything was observed to change Z levels (unless it fell below the bridge).  However if you did a bridge that raises, no items would fly in the direction the bridge raises because it instantly goes from down to up, and once it is up it blocks the flying items from traveling that direction.

Corinthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: February 06, 2010, 09:36:23 pm »

Tower cap farm questions:
I am digging out a large area to grow tower caps on. It is currently filled with rocks left behind.
1) Do I need to remove these before irrigating?
2) Do I need to remove these at all? Will tower caps grow on a space with a muddied boulder?

Thanks!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1247 on: February 06, 2010, 09:43:50 pm »

Tower-caps won't grow where there's a rock, so you need to remove them.  But I don't think it matters if you irrigate before or after you remove the rocks.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

DDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Frogatto
« Reply #1248 on: February 06, 2010, 09:45:34 pm »

I've yet to breach an underground stream, so I can't be of much help... I was wondering, is there any way to empty cages of non-animal items? Some of my cages have bones in them.
Il Palazzo: "Urist, quick, grab your ax! There's a troll rampaging through the decimal conversion chambers!"
melomel: DF is like OCD candy, isn't it? existent: No, DF is like the stranger in the trench coat offering the candy.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: February 06, 2010, 09:52:34 pm »

Tower-caps won't grow where there's a rock, so you need to remove them.  But I don't think it matters if you irrigate before or after you remove the rocks.

I don't have the save to back it up any more, but I'm about 90% certain I had an accidental tree farm (oops) that was completely covered in loose rocks.... I only realized it when I was designating some other stuff and realized to rocks had all been hidden. 

I don't remember if any trees actually matured or not... but they definitely started to grow.  maybe it was only because they were hidden... I dunno.

I'm looking at my saves now...

I've yet to breach an underground stream, so I can't be of much help... I was wondering, is there any way to empty cages of non-animal items? Some of my cages have bones in them.

Normally to take items off creatures inside a cage you designate the cage and its contents for dumping... d>b>d and then use the item inspection (k) to remove the dump flag from the cage.  Set up a dump zone near by and some friendly dwarves will come and remove any non-creature item from the cage.

EDIT:  I've looked at my saves... I have a few full grown tower caps in the middle of some hidden stone, but they are under water so I can't cut them down to see if a stone pops out... There is no stone under the full grown tree using "k" currently or spaces next to the tree with more than one stone.

I have several hundred "Muddy Young Tower-cap" that are in the same square as hidden stone.  I'm gonna leave the game running to see if any of them grow up. 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 10:01:56 pm by happydog23 »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: February 06, 2010, 10:27:22 pm »

Just checked my tree farm.  Looks like you can get young tower-caps where there's a stone, but they won't mature until the stone is removed.  Similar to a tower-cap growing on the same square as a floodgate or something - the presence of any object on the tile prevents the tower-cap from fully maturing.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: February 06, 2010, 10:46:30 pm »

Just checked my tree farm.  Looks like you can get young tower-caps where there's a stone, but they won't mature until the stone is removed.  Similar to a tower-cap growing on the same square as a floodgate or something - the presence of any object on the tile prevents the tower-cap from fully maturing.

I just did an experiment... I put all my under-rock trees as high traffic areas (to ensure they don't get trampled), and then designated half the stones for dumping. 

After removing stone from 170 young tower-caps, 27 of them almost instantly turned in to tower-caps.   Of the other ~200ish young tower caps with stone still on top of them, none of them have "sprouted".

I'd say that you're dead on that trees can grow, they just won't fully mature with anything else in the same square. 

Corinthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: February 06, 2010, 10:47:48 pm »

Ok thanks so much for these experiments guys, it looks like I have some dumping to do!

Thanks again!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: February 06, 2010, 11:37:45 pm »

How do I get a tame spider back in a cage? I accidentally dumped the cage it came in and now two of them are biting my dwarves all the time. If I 'k' over them their names appear in green and I don't have the option to unforbid them. They're also not visible in the stocks screen.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #1254 on: February 07, 2010, 01:03:35 am »

With an aquifer: do I only need to build walls, or will it keep leaking until I build a floor on each non-edge section too?

I have got a pit, into the aquifer, and I'm pumping it out with a perpetual motion water wheel to screw-pump-conga-line (6 pumps?). But I think I've made my pit a bit big for a first attempt & might end up having to try something a bit different somehow.
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
  • Inspector of Conspicuous Cheeto Consumption
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: February 07, 2010, 07:44:25 am »

ty hap'dog, turns out I saved his files anyway so I just extracted it and downloaded again!  Too bad I lost my first 100dwarf fortress save tho' >:(  Time for me to learn how to use... magma and underground rivers and smithin'
I like sushi.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: February 07, 2010, 10:51:12 am »

How do I get a tame spider back in a cage? I accidentally dumped the cage it came in and now two of them are biting my dwarves all the time. If I 'k' over them their names appear in green and I don't have the option to unforbid them. They're also not visible in the stocks screen.

I have no clue... But I know the one below you and don't want you to think I ignored you :-P

With an aquifer: do I only need to build walls, or will it keep leaking until I build a floor on each non-edge section too?

I have got a pit, into the aquifer, and I'm pumping it out with a perpetual motion water wheel to screw-pump-conga-line (6 pumps?). But I think I've made my pit a bit big for a first attempt & might end up having to try something a bit different somehow.

Just building walls should be fine.... I believe if the aquifer is in a rock layer, you can just smooth (d > s) the walls to stop the water flow as well.

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: February 07, 2010, 11:08:57 am »

Try assigning them to a new cage, a dwarf should be able to pick them up even if they're wandering around.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: February 07, 2010, 11:51:58 am »

Chaps, as a quick question, can drawbridges be used as a sort of catapult?
When a drawbridge raises, objects located on the part of the bridge which becomes a wall will be instantly destroyed.  Objects located on the rest of the bridge will be thrown up to twelve tiles in a completely random direction.  This movement is in X,Y, and Z, so objects can be thrown upwards or downwards in addition to sideways.  Thrown objects will move until they run out of momentum or hit something, and then they will fall straight down.

Falling objects don't do any damage, so the only way to use this as a weapon is to throw burning objects, and even that isn't very useful.

Lowering drawbridges don't throw anything, but they do destroy objects in the space they lower into.

Retracting and extending bridges throw objects up to 3 spaces in X,Y, and Z, and don't destroy anything.

Corinthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: February 07, 2010, 12:22:33 pm »

Another quick question, a bunch of traders are at my depot, but the trade screen says there are "No merchants trading right now." Why?

I want their stuff! Could have anything to do with the fact that a siege just killed three of their number?
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 181