Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204134 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1620 on: February 16, 2010, 03:00:20 pm »

I want to change wolves to be trainable...
But in the init folder, none of the files in there have the options to change animals and such.

Which folder/file do I need to change those?
RAW+objects+Creature_Large_Temperate

spikedball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: February 16, 2010, 04:08:40 pm »

Is there a reason to mass-produce beds?
I mean, when don't make them, using constructed floors in high-traffic areas so nobody will get some thoughts due to sleeping in the dirt, my dwarves with mangled hands and other things run around just fine. When I DO make them, any useless expendable recruit will first demand someone to carry him, then food and personnel it needs to keep him alive. If he happens to have any unrecoverable wounds, like a severed leg, he'll just lay there until he dies of old age (correct me on that one if I'm wrong, I don't really remember having both severed limbs and beds in one fort). On top of that, it could be something like lower left arm that brought him to bed in the first place.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: February 16, 2010, 04:46:01 pm »

Is there a reason to mass-produce beds?
I mean, when don't make them, using constructed floors in high-traffic areas so nobody will get some thoughts due to sleeping in the dirt, my dwarves with mangled hands and other things run around just fine. When I DO make them, any useless expendable recruit will first demand someone to carry him, then food and personnel it needs to keep him alive. If he happens to have any unrecoverable wounds, like a severed leg, he'll just lay there until he dies of old age (correct me on that one if I'm wrong, I don't really remember having both severed limbs and beds in one fort). On top of that, it could be something like lower left arm that brought him to bed in the first place.
Nice bedrooms can create very good thoughts, and with beds the wounded (although not the mained, as you mention) will eventually recover, making soldiers less vulnerable and probably protecting civilians from minor bad thoughts.  Bedrooms will also give dwarves a place to consolidate possessions that can otherwise clog up stockpiles or be strewn about the fortress randomly. Otherwise you're pretty much right, though.

One thing, though:  it's better to designate a bed-less barracks with an armor stand or weapon rack, as it prevents dwarves from passing out in an inconvenient or dangerous place.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 04:49:39 pm by nil »

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: February 17, 2010, 02:12:08 am »

I'm a bit confused by the stock display, particularly the red number to the right of the gray one. It means what I have deployed in the fort (under use)?
and the gray count everything which is on the map, as it tells me I have a stock of frogmen chunks that I surely don't own?

edit:
I have hundreds of cloaks and coats, how can it be? I never bought or produced them! So does it means they are the stuff my dorfs wear? But why in this case I can mark them for (D) are they are owned by them? Really I don't get it here...

--

Is the happiness level doing something on productivity etc.?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 02:16:53 am by vorpal+5 »

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: February 17, 2010, 02:20:24 am »

Blue things are built into buildings or in use, red things don't belong to you or are rotten/broken. I don't remember what items owned by dwarves look like.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: February 17, 2010, 02:30:22 am »

Your stock screen lists everything that counts as an item, which is why you see things like corpses and also items worn by your dwarves. Clothes worn by your guys is their own, i.e. you can't tell them to get rid of them. Armor and weapons are different, in that they count as fortress inventory, i.e. the player can do whatever they want with them.

Regarding happiness, I don't think that has any effect on productivity as long as it isn't very low. That is, a content dwarf will work just as well as an ecstatic one, but a very unhappy one might interrupt their work for mood-related reasons. To be precise, a dwarf will go talk to the mayor when they are very unhappy, or tantrum [throw things and/or start fights], or even go insane if they're too unhappy for too long a time.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: February 17, 2010, 02:52:59 am »

mmmh ok... this is a pile in the barrack, so  I guess it comes from sparring, but:

1. I have been able to flag them as Dumpable from the stock menu. Are they not owned by some soldiers?

2. How can I see if an item is owned or not when on the floor?

3. More precisely, why some items are between {}, some are between () and some don't have that at all?

4. How can I know the armor value of a silk mitten compared to a turtle shell glove etc.? Dwarves pick the best available I guess?

5. bonus question, is melt meaning: 'convert to raw material', i.e can I retrofit silk glove to silk to make a silk coat, whatever?

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: February 17, 2010, 02:53:38 am »

They'll also become true alcoholics if they are "desensitized", in other words "...doesn't care about anything anymore", which can lower productivity significantly as they're always running off for a drink. Some hypothesize that this may be very dependant on certain personality attributes. It's quite certain that their chances of becoming desensitized depend on personality attributes.

It sounds like you don't have a trained broker/hoardmaster. A trained broker (one with the Appraisal skill) lets you see the value any time you view an item, either with {v} from the stocks menu or with {k} on the ground. It will also show who owns the item if it is owned.

Melting only works on metal, and returns a portion of it to metal bars.

Ah, forgot one: items that are foreign are surrounded by (), and items that are forbidden get () too. So a foreign forbidden item would have (()). x, X, and XX are progressive forms of decay found on worn clothing. I don't remember ever seeing anything with {}, but it could be part of the tileset you're using.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 03:01:57 am by The Architect »
The sigs topic:

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: February 17, 2010, 02:59:13 am »

And it's certain that they become "desensitized" if they see enough killing or do those.

Also, vorpal+5:
1) You can mark them dumpable, but they won't be dumped.
2) Select it through "k" and "+/-" and press enter, the owner will be listed in the item description.
3) I think () are related to items which were imported/brought with immigrants/siegers, and {} definitely mark forbidden items. Thos which have no () or {} are made at your fortress and are not forbidden.
4) Armor value is in the raws (for gloves/mittens). Both of them have blockpower of 60. The fact that it's not metal means that they are 50% effective. In any case they have the same armor value, thus you have to look at their quality only. And no, they don't pick up best avaliable items, they take them at random from those which are not forbidden.

A trained broker (one with the Appraisal skill) lets you see the value
He asked about armor value.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 03:01:32 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: February 17, 2010, 03:30:01 am »

They'll also become true alcoholics if they are "desensitized", in other words "...doesn't care about anything anymore", which can lower productivity significantly as they're always running off for a drink.

No offense, but have you actually experienced this? I thought not caring "about anything anymore" was normal for warriors, and I have not seen them start drinking more. They'd continue sparring and fighting as earlier.

EDIT: I've now looked at some of my fighters, and they have traits like "getting used to tragedy", the aforementioned "doesn't care about anything anymore" and being "a hardened individual". The first trait (and probably the second) doesn't make much sense, as there have only been few casualties in my fort (no deaths and only a couple wounded).
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 03:34:15 am by assimilateur »

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: February 17, 2010, 03:51:16 am »

It's all personality based. For some, just witnessing the death of a kitten is a traumatizing event. Or even the end of a miserable Kobold thief. They don't actually have to kill anything.

Yes, I have witnessed workers drinking extremely frequently after acquiring the trait "doesn't really care about anything anymore". I am of the school of thought that the effects of the trait are also related to personality, ie a person who was particularly upset by violence would become a drunk.

Some people have postulated that military experience and/or status (recruits, champs, civilians) might account for the difference.

My personal experience was with two dwarves, one an architect/mechanic and the other a mason. I needed a pump built shortly after a siege, and my architect literally left the job 3 times to get a drink without bringing 2 components to the site. This was after witnessing a siege, where before he had built several more distant pumps quickly and without interruption. He had 3 legendary skills, so he was certainly fast enough. He seemed to become more functional later. My top mason at the same fort displayed similar behavior, and has yet to stop drinking frequently each season.

The reason this is not considered hard fact, and is the object of much speculation on the forums, is precisely because it is something that is hard to pin down and confirm.
The sigs topic:

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: February 17, 2010, 03:58:37 am »

Well, you can certainly understand my skepticism, then.

I'm gonna start a new fort soon (been having a break for a couple of weeks now), and when I get a "non-caring" dwarf I will try to keep an eye on them and record at what dates they drink, and then compare it to the normal rate, which seems to be 16 drinks a year, if I'm not mistaken. I wouldn't trust such accounts as "my architect literally left the job 3 times to get a drink without bringing 2 components to the site", and that's not because question your sincerity, but because it really looks like an eternity for a dwarf to get shit done when you're waiting for them to get done.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: February 17, 2010, 04:12:47 am »

Well, you can certainly understand my skepticism, then.

Of course. My personal conviction adds little to any discussion in the lack of evidential proof to offer. This is one of those things you can't really disprove, but which is difficult to prove. We'd have to ask Toady himself or do an extensive study. Even if the study failed to produce results, you'd face scapegoat arguments like "it's further based on factor(s) X". You may prove it, but you really can't disprove it.

I'm personally a believer, because I have witnessed what I think to be conclusive evidence. I wish I had more to offer but the best I can do is say that it isn't an original concept of my own; rather a widespread rumor on the forums and (previously) the wiki.
The sigs topic:

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: February 17, 2010, 04:46:24 am »

We'd have to ask Toady himself or do an extensive study.

You don't think he would know what the mechanics were? I mean, assuming this whole alcoholism-like phenomenon isn't a bug and is instead working as designed.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: February 17, 2010, 04:49:53 am »

We'd have to ask Toady himself or do an extensive study.

You don't think he would know what the mechanics were? I mean, assuming this whole alcoholism-like phenomenon isn't a bug and is instead working as designed.

What about saying we would need to ask Toady for the answer implied that I don't think he knows it? I don't want to troll or be mean to you, but sometimes the thought processes of forum posters make me want to scream. Why do I even need to type this!?
The sigs topic:
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 181