Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204702 times)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1035 on: January 30, 2010, 10:39:30 pm »

True.

gopher dude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: January 30, 2010, 11:23:52 pm »

Okay so MORE QUESTIONS! =D

One: I've noticed that a map can run out of animals to hunt; if I kill everything on a map (discluding fish, vermin, ecetera) will they never come back?

Two: I'm eyeing over these naked mole dogs and I want to tame them, but first I have to catch them; Whats the best way for them to get into my cage traps?

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: January 30, 2010, 11:30:45 pm »

lure them.
and no they dont come back
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

gopher dude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: January 30, 2010, 11:41:48 pm »

How do I lure them exactly.

Also shit. >=C

*edit*

Well dicks in a hamper, all of the naked mole dogs DIED somehow and the population is left at a pathetic two males.

ALL MY DREAMS OF A NAKED MOLE DOG FARM RUINED.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 11:45:28 pm by gopher dude »

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: January 30, 2010, 11:59:45 pm »

Lure them with kittens! Everybody loves kittens! They're tasty and sweet!

No, really, to lure carnivorous or aggressive creatures into cage traps, you actually do use small, tame animals that are chained beyond the trap line. For less-aggressive creatures, it's better to use 2-4 soldiers in a rough U-shape to scare the animals in a specific direction into the cage traps, but NMDs are aggressive.

The reason why the NMDs died is probably old age; many chasm creatures die early on in a fort due to their short lifespans. NMDs sometimes will start breeding beforehand, but not always.

Also, apparently after 50 years or so wildlife populations do return. At least, that's what Martin believes happened in... I want to say Lashedwines, the residence of Morul, the Most Interesting Dwarf in the World. He hunted out all wildlife as part of his quest to get Morul to be a legendary Ambusher, but eventually more wildlife started coming in from the map edges, many decades later. This information is, of course, almost completely useless, since few forts last more than 20 years before boredom sets in, but there it is anyway.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: January 31, 2010, 12:40:08 am »

Naked moledogs don't live very long.

Also, wildlife never respawns. However, it does migrate from off-map. Once you kill off all the local populations, it'll draw from further and further around, most likely.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

gopher dude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: January 31, 2010, 01:37:00 am »

Sooooo, best advice if I want to tame some cool animals?

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: January 31, 2010, 01:41:45 am »

Make a spiral labyrinth with a kitten restrained in the center, line it with cage traps, wait.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: January 31, 2010, 01:42:39 am »

Sooooo, best advice if I want to tame some cool animals?

Depends on behaviour. If they flee from dwarves, chase them into cage traps. If they pursue, lure them.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: January 31, 2010, 02:32:54 am »

Naked moledogs don't live very long.

Also, wildlife never respawns. However, it does migrate from off-map. Once you kill off all the local populations, it'll draw from further and further around, most likely.

Yea, Naked Mole dogs only live, what, 2 or three years? And thats counting the one year child stage. In fact, I've had naked mole dogs start dying off during the very first year. Why the heck they have such a short lifespan, I have no idea.

gopher dude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: January 31, 2010, 03:07:04 am »

I think naked mole dogs should have a higher reproduction rate and a shorter puppy time.

I mean if they're only gonna live for 3 years whats the point?

They died before I could get to them and they didn't have any kids.

ACTUAL QUESTION:

What does df get updated?

Is a new version coming out any time soon?

Where can I find out?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: January 31, 2010, 03:22:34 am »

I think naked mole dogs should have a higher reproduction rate and a shorter puppy time.

I mean if they're only gonna live for 3 years whats the point?

They died before I could get to them and they didn't have any kids.
Well then, mod them. Their raw entry is in creature_subterranean. Increase their [MAX_AGE:2:3] to more like 6:9 to triple their lifespan, turn [CHILD:1] to 0 (I'm not sure if that actually works, but it might), and give them the [liTTERSIZE:something:something else] tag. They'll live longer, mature faster (instantly, if [CHILD:0] works) and have more babies per litter.

ACTUAL QUESTION:

Sometime. It depends on how long it takes Toady One to finish up the new update. You can find what he still thinks he has left to do here, and what he has done recently here. The latter updates more often, but isn't always very informative.

Probably, for certain values of "soon." It's generally expected by the end of March at the latest, but may be out in February. It might (not very likely, but possibly) be out 2 seconds from now!

Where can I find out?
The first thread I linked above has running commentary by people in the know. Footkerchief in particular is the one to watch; he seems to know what's going on the best of anyone.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Slipstream

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: January 31, 2010, 02:17:15 pm »

Hi guys, I've been playing DF for a while now and I've been searching around for an answer to this question:

Why can't I seem to start multiple fortresses in the same world?  I can swear I've done it before but the option of only "continue playing" is available.

Am I missing something completely obvious?

What I mean is if I have 1 active fortress in a world I generated, can I not start another active fortress in that same world without abandoning the first?

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: January 31, 2010, 02:29:05 pm »

Hi guys, I've been playing DF for a while now and I've been searching around for an answer to this question:

Why can't I seem to start multiple fortresses in the same world?  I can swear I've done it before but the option of only "continue playing" is available.

Am I missing something completely obvious?

What I mean is if I have 1 active fortress in a world I generated, can I not start another active fortress in that same world without abandoning the first?

Yes. One at once.

ACTUAL QUESTION:

Where can I find out?

Everything at once. The next release is gonna be a paradigm shift.

Soonish. It's close, we can tell that much, but it'll be done when it's done.

Here: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_now.html
Development blog.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 02:31:34 pm by Skorpion »

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: January 31, 2010, 02:35:50 pm »

How does one check the framerate the game is running at?
As far as I know there is no console for DF...
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 181