Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 203991 times)

Spong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1200 on: February 04, 2010, 09:44:36 pm »

The entrance to my fortress is still a bit of a refugee camp at the moment with various stockpiles and workshops scattered about and a meeting area - I have a couple of wardogs from my breeding program in the meeting area but for some reason they aren't chasing  down Rhesus Macaques effectively. They are killing them occasionally, but its totally unpredictable, often the Macaques can walk right by the dogs unscathed, they can prance around in the general area causing interruptions for a very long time before a dog will finally snap and rip one of them in half. The dogs chase after kobold thieves and goblin snatchers with no problems often halfway across the map. When they finally go for a Macaque they chase it quite far too but it barely happens at all. Any ideas?

BlueFireLady

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: February 04, 2010, 09:53:06 pm »

use some animal traps. I think the Macaques have to piss off the dogs before they do anything to them.

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: February 04, 2010, 09:55:13 pm »

I have captured a skeletal titan.
I have CAPTURED a SKELETAL TITAN!

now is there any way I can chuck it into my new gladiatorial pit to be fed goblins until the end of time and still keep the cage and everything?
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: February 04, 2010, 11:21:26 pm »

can magma-cast obsidian areas that are considered "above ground" ever grow tower caps when muddied?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: February 05, 2010, 01:06:22 am »

can magma-cast obsidian areas that are considered "above ground" ever grow tower caps when muddied?
No.

now is there any way I can chuck it into my new gladiatorial pit to be fed goblins until the end of time and still keep the cage and everything?
make a pit area from 1 Z level above the arena and order the Titan to be chucked into it. It also helps immensely if the said caged creature is right by said area.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: February 05, 2010, 01:31:43 am »

Tower caps are specifically underground trees. This and the fact that you need to discover an underground river/pool first are the only distinction between them and normal trees.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: February 05, 2010, 02:22:40 am »

Tower caps are specifically underground trees. This and the fact that you need to discover an underground river/pool first are the only distinction between them and normal trees.

right. but if I discover an underground river I am being told that being under magma cast rock layers does not count as underground, even just for the purposes of tower caps, is that right? towercaps are linked to the whole "sunlight stains"?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: February 05, 2010, 02:45:33 am »

right. but if I discover an underground river I am being told that being under magma cast rock layers does not count as underground, even just for the purposes of tower caps, is that right? towercaps are linked to the whole "sunlight stains"?

I believe so.  You must be "subterranean" Dark, as opposed to "inside" dark. 

Although I've never tried magmacasting to see if it changes the flags for that tile.  I somewhat doubt it.

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: February 05, 2010, 03:21:21 pm »

I've just recently discovered the wonderful thing that is stupid miners digging channels....

jilt_soda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: February 05, 2010, 05:06:19 pm »

I have an archery target range with a channel behind it to collect missed bolts. My dwarves won't collect the bolts. Will they only get them when they run out otherwise?

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: February 05, 2010, 05:13:50 pm »

I've just recently discovered the wonderful thing that is stupid miners digging channels....

the trick with that (at least, if you're talking about dorfs who are recklessly disregarding their own life and others by ensuring cave ins occur) is to simply make upward ramps on the level below where you would want to channel.  The only thing to watch out for in that case is if a tree or construction is above the newly created lamps, it will crash down and cause Fun, which I learned through experience.  If you don't want the ramps after you've created the area you wanted to channel, just (d)esignate (z)remove upward ramps/stairs and you're done!
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: February 05, 2010, 05:20:10 pm »

I have an archery target range with a channel behind it to collect missed bolts. My dwarves won't collect the bolts. Will they only get them when they run out otherwise?
Make sure that used ammunition isn't set to Forbidden, (o)rders->(F)orbid. You're better off leaving the ammunition forbidden until they run out of stacks to use, then move the archery range so that your marksdwarves fire from where the bolts dropped. Saves a ton of time as they will only carry a single stack of bolts at a time, even if that stack contains only 1 bolt.
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: February 05, 2010, 07:17:22 pm »

Damn traders keep telling me they won't trade at a loss...
Yet I see no place in the UI that displays the total value of what I'm trading or they're trading...
Where can I see either of these?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: February 05, 2010, 07:23:13 pm »

Damn traders keep telling me they won't trade at a loss...
Yet I see no place in the UI that displays the total value of what I'm trading or they're trading...
Where can I see either of these?

If it's your trader's first trade, then he doesn't have the appraisal skill yet. Means you're gonna have to guess the values involved in your first trade, but you'll have data on the values next time.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: February 05, 2010, 07:51:29 pm »

Are hatches synchronized like floodgates?

Or can I place two hatches.  Link Hatch A to a lever and then pull it.  Then link hatch B to that lever.  When I pull the lever from then on, will one hatch open and one hatch close?
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 181