Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204542 times)

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1455 on: February 13, 2010, 02:52:37 am »

wow, if only a quarter of what is said here were put into the wiki :)

You are great guys, I mean you know things plus you share them!

Now enough flattery ;)

1. Can thieves pass thru locked doors? I guess yes.
2. Are goblin thieves arriving by teleport before the fortress as I believe or do they sneak from the border of the map and get spotted only when they arrive.
3. Is it a good idea to unleash caged war dogs upon them when they pass an entry point, or do I muster militia (yes I'm a real newbie sorry)
4. Are the monsters on the map spawning or when they are dead, there is no one left but monsters arriving by events (I mean goblin sieges and such)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: February 13, 2010, 03:08:20 am »

You are great guys, I mean you know things plus you share them!

Now enough flattery ;)

2. Are goblin thieves arriving by teleport before the fortress as I believe or do they sneak from the border of the map and get spotted only when they arrive.
3. Is it a good idea to unleash caged war dogs upon them when they pass an entry point, or do I muster militia (yes I'm a real newbie sorry)
4. Are the monsters on the map spawning or when they are dead, there is no one left but monsters arriving by events (I mean goblin sieges and such)

1. Lockpicker thieves can bypass locked doors - kobolds, not goblins.
2. They are from the map edge
3. Up to you; either works. Best is to chain a war dog so that it guard the entrance and reveals/savages the thief. Three tile wide hallways require 2 dogs.
4. There are a set number of wild creatures per map and they can be exhausted. There is an unlimited number of goblins or any other civilized creature, however, because those are generated the moment their event causes them to arrive on the map.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: February 13, 2010, 03:15:21 am »

More than you probably think is on the wiki; one just has to know where to look and be able to interpret the information correctly. This, unfortunately, usually takes quite a bit of experience.

Kobolds can, goblins can't. It has to do with the [LOCKPICKER] tag. Goblin thieves aren't even immune to traps, though goblin master thieves have a very good chance of avoiding them.

All creatures spawn only at the edge of the map after embark. The goblin thieves sneak in from your borders to attempt to find your children.

Now, there is a bug involving non-square maps where this isn't the case. If your map isn't exactly square, the game will choose a square and for some purposes treat the borders of that square as if they were map borders, including the purpose of enemy spawns. This can, in fact, lead to creatures suddenly appearing in the middle of your fort, but if you play only on square maps, it isn't a problem.

There's no need to apologize; this game is hard to figure out.

Thieves will, when detected, immediately do everything in their power to get off the map, even if they haven't stolen anything yet. Since thieves tend to be faster than your dogs or dwarves, it's often impossible to catch them unless they're in the middle of your fort, so unleashing the hounds probably isn't a good idea since you'd have to rebuild the cage, relink it to the lever, and recage the dogs.

The best way to handle thieves is to have all entrances to your fort be 3 tiles wide or less and chain an animal on either side of the entrance. This makes it so that it is impossible for a creature to get into your fort without being adjacent to someone, which detects them, which makes thieves flee harmlessly. This also provides a good warning system against ambushes, limiting your losses to only the dogs which are relatively expendable compared to dwarves.

I'm... not sure what you mean. Some creatures are associated with map features; fire imps in magma, carp in rivers, and the like. These do not respawn once captured or killed. There are also creatures that are associated with no feature that come from off the map, which can include things like deer and wild horses but can also include werewolves and other 'monsters.' These have limited numbers, but the majority are off-map and will appear to respawn for a while as you kill or capture them. Then there are people who come from off-map as traders, ambushers, thieves, siegers, and migrants, which are believed to be limitless, and megabeasts, which are strictly limited in number (usually half a dozen or less for a whole world after generation).
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: February 13, 2010, 03:36:29 am »

ok, makes more more sense!

I guess caged dogs don't spot sneakers? I still don't know how to make leashes, it is just the matter of having a leather workshop?

I have another problem (yet), I have some precious minerals in the outdoor (at the place of my former depot, I wanted to know how much the merchant would pay for them), but the dwarves don't put them back in my stone stockpile... I tried to see if there was an (o)ption like 'don't pick up outdoor minerals' that I forgot but it seems not... what is the setting I'm missing?

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: February 13, 2010, 03:50:22 am »

"Leashes" are made of cloth (rope) or metal (chains), both are displayed under the "Chains" section of the stocks menu if I recall correctly.

You just construct the rope in a clothier's shop or the chain in a forge and then 'b'uild the restraint. Once a dwarf completes the task, you can assign any individual animal to the restraint and it stays within one tile of the restraint.

Not sure about the last question...Only thing I can think of is that your stockpile is full, but that would've likely been obvious to you if it were the case. Is it still flagged in the trade depot's menu as ready for sale? (Or whatever the hell the exact status is called).

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: February 13, 2010, 03:59:16 am »

ok, so my mayor likes 'horn' right?  He currently thinks his superbly designed, furniture stocked bedroom is poor so I want to put some stuff he like in there, which includes 'horn'

now does he mean horn as in the organic kind or raw horn silver?
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

DDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Frogatto
« Reply #1461 on: February 13, 2010, 04:01:06 am »

I think you want to build a stone stockpile indoors. If you use q to look at the pile, you can set it's contents. If you set the pile to only accept precious ore (of the appropriate type), your dwarves will happily haul the ore there.

Leashes are called 'chains' or 'rope', and are built by selecting the 'restraints' option in the build menu, as Ashery said. I /think/ the keys are bv{enter}.

Spoiler: "Strategy" (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 04:02:47 am by DDR »
Il Palazzo: "Urist, quick, grab your ax! There's a troll rampaging through the decimal conversion chambers!"
melomel: DF is like OCD candy, isn't it? existent: No, DF is like the stranger in the trench coat offering the candy.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: February 13, 2010, 04:34:02 am »

I'm a bit confused, again  ;D

1. I have set a meeting hall... is it different from a dinning hall, or must I have one room for each?
2. I have added chairs, tables and one statue. Is the number for each has an impact on anything?

3. I then added even more chairs/tables... here is the confusion. I can (q) the table and it proposes me to make another meeting hall, overlaping the first meeting hall (which already include all furnitures in its 'blue X' area). Is it needed or not? Said differently, as I defined the first meeting hall to encompass everything in the room, are new furnitures added included automatically or must I 'merge' their use into the first defined meeting hall? (I know my sentences may appear awkwards!).

4. I have miasma from little lizards which seem to magically appears into my food stockpile? Are they sneaking past my dogs or what? How can I counter that? Lock cats into the stockpile so they kill them asap, and then pray a dwarf will pick up the remnants before it smells foul? ... in fact the problem is not killing them asap, the cats does that now I think about that. So perhaps I should have a dwarf on haul refuse and nothing else?

By the way, for my stockpile question, thanks! It was in fact gems, both indoor and outdoor. I had to set a gem stockpile, then for the gems outside I had to put them on claim I believe. Now all is good.

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: February 13, 2010, 04:56:12 am »

1) Meeting halls are, if I recall correctly, just an area where dwarves/animals congregate when they have nothing else to do. For my forts, the meeting hall is usually the communal dining room. Note that you can make the meeting hall a 1x1 area to encourage more socialization. Either for stat gains or to allow your former mayor to gain enough friends to overthrow that mother fucker who's constantly demanding adamantine items and two humped camel bone goods.

2) The statues just add value to the room, afaik, and you generally want to keep the tables and chairs together in pairs. Don't double up a table with two chairs as dwarves will then complain about the lack of tables.

3) Just expand the original dining room designation to cover all the tables and you should be good.

4) Vermin spawn anywhere. I generally don't assign dwarves to pure refuse duty as I usually have enough general haulers to get everything done. Honestly, I'd prefer just to ignore them and take the minor negative thought a few dwarves would have. The vermin are harmless and actually can provide food for your dwarves if they're starving. Cats, while the kill them, force you to have haulers that will get rid of the refuse before it generates miasma. Just make sure you have a refuse stockpile outside that accepts the corpses of vermin (just leave it on the default settings).

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: February 13, 2010, 05:38:13 am »

ok, got it all, thanks!

Now that I see I have 8 chairs for 4 tables, how do I remove excess chairs? I tried the remove building menu from designation, it don't work.

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: February 13, 2010, 05:42:20 am »

'q' over then and hit 'x'.

That's how you remove most buildings, actually.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: February 13, 2010, 06:12:04 am »

but they are not building they are chairs, so query don't work on them I think.

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #1467 on: February 13, 2010, 06:43:38 am »

but they are not building they are chairs, so query don't work on them I think.
To add to your confusion... all furniture are defined as buildings.

Think about it: to put the chair there you used the sequence uild [c]hair - ie, the chair has been uilt - ie it is now a uilding (same with other furniture which is built - this does not include things like "barrels" which you never build).
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1468 on: February 13, 2010, 09:36:45 am »

ok, so my mayor likes 'horn' right?  He currently thinks his superbly designed, furniture stocked bedroom is poor so I want to put some stuff he like in there, which includes 'horn'

now does he mean horn as in the organic kind or raw horn silver?
He means the organic kind.  Which AFAIK is currently impossible to actually find in the game, even though the material is defined as existing there's no way to get horn from animals at the moment.  So your mayor is pining for something that he can never have.  This will be fixed in the next major release.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: February 13, 2010, 10:41:37 am »

It seems that puppy dogs in cage don't grow?

As I want to control the population of animals (and their whereabouts), would it be a good idea (it must be simple, I'm a newbie which know nothing of levers and mechanical devices) to create a room with a cage in it, ask dogs to come, then release them within the room? the room would have doors which won't let animals pass also.

This way the animals would be restrained in a single place where they can breed. If I need some, I cage them then move the cage (if I can) or do a trick with a door lock or something to catch some...

Now, how can i dispose of a pet animal (the ones following their master), it is annoying. I heard I had to set a trap which will crush the animal while it moves toward his master, something like that?
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 181