Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204522 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1575 on: February 15, 2010, 06:41:45 pm »

I haven't figured out how to set stockpiles for only large/narrow armor.

Atlar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: February 15, 2010, 06:43:09 pm »

Wow this menu is as usefull as well hidden  ;D thanks a ton!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: February 15, 2010, 06:44:22 pm »

I haven't figured out how to set stockpiles for only large/narrow armor.

On the stockpile screen for armor at the bottom there's "unusable and usable".

Toggle either of these options to, say, limit a stockpile to specifically dwarf-size armor or make a stockpile for all your odd armor sizes.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Atlar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Indoor/Outdoor
« Reply #1578 on: February 15, 2010, 06:55:57 pm »

Another one: I've stumbled over the option of setting tiles to indoor/outdoor some time ago but I can't find it now.
My dwarves demand to continue enjoying the sculpture garden during sieges which is reasonable cause the cries of dieing goblins are quite inspiring!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: February 15, 2010, 07:01:10 pm »

You can view it with K and to make them indoor/outdoor you need to either open that tile up the the sky or block it.

IE, put a floor over a murky pool tile the tile below becomes "indoor"

Atlar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: February 15, 2010, 07:15:18 pm »

So no extra-option, hmkay think I just put a roof over halve of my garden so that the visitors won't be disturbed by goblin blood splatters raining on them during the sieges and during peace the usual vomiting can continue. Thanks again.

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: February 15, 2010, 09:37:31 pm »

Ok, so my cage traps captured about 6 wolves last time I checked.
Can I bring these back to my fortress and train them to fight for me as war dogs?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: February 15, 2010, 09:41:58 pm »

Unless you modify them, the closest you will get to that is taming them and throwing them at the enemy and hoping that the wolves fight.

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: February 15, 2010, 09:50:07 pm »

Unless you modify them, the closest you will get to that is taming them and throwing them at the enemy and hoping that the wolves fight.
Well that sucks...
So I can only train dogs?

How do I bring the wolves into my fortress for butchering and tanning anyways?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: February 15, 2010, 09:52:21 pm »

Without them eating the butchers?
catch them and tame them, let them out, let them.... um, "breed" and then when there is another male and female pair of pups kill the parents.

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: February 15, 2010, 09:55:01 pm »

Without them eating the butchers?
catch them and tame them, let them out, let them.... um, "breed" and then when there is another male and female pair of pups kill the parents.

What skill do my dwarves need to tame them? Animal Trainer, I'm assuming?
Should I just put them in a hole in the ground or something for breeding?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: February 15, 2010, 10:27:13 pm »

You can train any animal with the [tr­AINABLE] tag, which you can add even post-worldgen. This means you can make war wolves no problem, unless you have sort of an ethical objection to modding the game, or some shit.

Yes, animal trainer is the correct skill. You build a kennel and select the "tame large animal" task, and later select each captive wild wolf or whatever it is you wanted to tame. You can't put this on repeat, as they will then tame and re-tame the same animal ad infinitum; you have to task each wild animal for taming one by one.

Tame livestock will normally congregate in your meeting area(s). Some people build self-contained, air-locked breeding pens, but I found those to be a pain in the ass. Instead, I recommend chaining your breeding animals wherever you want, but preferably not far from your butchery and tannery.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 10:30:03 pm by assimilateur »

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: February 15, 2010, 10:38:08 pm »

You can train any animal with the [tr­AINABLE] tag, which you can add even post-worldgen. This means you can make war wolves no problem, unless you have sort of an ethical objection to modding the game, or some shit.

Yes, animal trainer is the correct skill. You build a kennel and select the "tame large animal" task, and later select each captive wild wolf or whatever it is you wanted to tame. You can't put this on repeat, as they will then tame and re-tame the same animal ad infinitum; you have to task each wild animal for taming one by one.

Tame livestock will normally congregate in your meeting area(s). Some people build self-contained, air-locked breeding pens, but I found those to be a pain in the ass. Instead, I recommend chaining your breeding animals wherever you want, but preferably not far from your butchery and tannery.

I can build them next to a tannery easily.
I figured I'd build just a room that goes down 1z level so that they can be in a type of pit for them to breed in.
Would that work?

garfield751

• Bay Watcher
  • Aaauuugggghhhh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: February 15, 2010, 10:38:33 pm »

if i have a bridge that raises to the north in a narrow hallway going from north to south and it was flooded with 7/7 water would i be able to raise the bridge?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: February 15, 2010, 10:43:07 pm »

if i have a bridge that raises to the north in a narrow hallway going from north to south and it was flooded with 7/7 water would i be able to raise the bridge?
Yes.

Also, there is spore breeding IE, animals on the surface can impregnate animals locked in the bottom of the fortress
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 181