Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204012 times)

Steev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1785 on: February 20, 2010, 02:51:00 pm »

Why are my dwarfs not hauling things to the furniture stockpile? I have a stockpile right next to the workshops, there are dwarfs with furniture hauling enabled, and the furniture is not forbidden, why do they refuse to haul it? The same goes for the siege ammo. 
For a greater challenge, try doing that with a globin outpost. I will someday
Seriously, man. If I ever see you misspell 'goblin' again I am going to find and kill you.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: February 20, 2010, 03:08:39 pm »

Thanks for the answer on canceling job, it can be very useful.

I tried to make a sortie to get my dead before an hostile group come back. I had one hauler succeed, then I switched immediately to 'Dwarves stay indoor'.

Strangely, the 3 outside did not respond to that. The lizardmen had the time to move over perhaps 50 tiles, and 3 stupids peons were still outside, doing senseless activities. Doors were still open, so a path existed to the fortress. I don't get it... This sounds mightily as an added case where dwarves don't respond to orders.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 03:25:11 pm by vorpal+5 »

Shockandlawl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: February 20, 2010, 03:29:24 pm »

For some reason, my dwarfs stopped storing food in barrels and began leaving everything on the floors of my food stockpile. I have plenty of empty, non-forbidden barrels. What's up with them?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: February 20, 2010, 03:32:57 pm »

Why are my dwarfs not hauling things to the furniture stockpile? I have a stockpile right next to the workshops, there are dwarfs with furniture hauling enabled, and the furniture is not forbidden, why do they refuse to haul it? The same goes for the siege ammo. 

Other than having a lot of work that's higher up on their list, I have no idea. One reason could be that they can't reach the stockpile(s), but you said it was right next to the workshops, so that doesn't make sense.

For some reason, my dwarfs stopped storing food in barrels and began leaving everything on the floors of my food stockpile. I have plenty of empty, non-forbidden barrels. What's up with them?

Check if your food stockpile is accepting barrels. You'll see how to do it when you view a stockpile as a building, via q. You might have set the number of allowed barrels lower than it currently is by accident.

Shockandlawl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: February 20, 2010, 03:49:19 pm »

Check if your food stockpile is accepting barrels. You'll see how to do it when you view a stockpile as a building, via q. You might have set the number of allowed barrels lower than it currently is by accident.
From the looks of it, the stockpile is accepting barrels. Sometimes they'll decide it's a good idea to put food into a barrel. Other times, they just chuck it onto the floor.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: February 20, 2010, 03:57:47 pm »

I vaguely recall there being a limit of one newly-delivered barrel being filled. If I'm correct, that would be a perfect explanation for what you're experiencing. While one "new" barrel is being filled with food, others are laying your food on the floor of the stockpile to be transferred to the new barrels as they arrive.

Unless you've really waited a long time and nobody's filling your barrels anymore, then that would be a problem.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: February 20, 2010, 04:17:20 pm »

Another question, about canceling orders... This really annoy me, this lack of control on dwarf orders. I have  a soldier which want to pick up an item in a tunnel, problem, there are 20 lizardmen between him and the item (and I don't know which item, as the game don't point you on it, otherwise I would have Forbidden it).

Then forbid them all until you kill the lizardmen.

Steev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: February 20, 2010, 06:47:25 pm »

Ok, is there some sort of workers union? The carpenters are on strike, refusing to do work, nobody wants to haul anything from the carpenters, masons, clothiers, jewelers, siege, and recently wood furnace workshops  :-\   

Is there anything I can do to make 'em start hauling? There are no inaccessible areas and the items have not been forbidden.
Seriously, man. If I ever see you misspell 'goblin' again I am going to find and kill you.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: February 20, 2010, 07:24:35 pm »

Ok, is there some sort of workers union? The carpenters are on strike, refusing to do work, nobody wants to haul anything from the carpenters, masons, clothiers, jewelers, siege, and recently wood furnace workshops  :-\   

Is there anything I can do to make 'em start hauling? There are no inaccessible areas and the items have not been forbidden.
It's possible that you accidentally turned off hauling in the (o)rders menu.  Could be a problem with the stockpiles, are you sure they're not full?  Have you been feeding your dwarves booze?  Are the haulers actually idle, or are they busy with some other task (including being on break or partying)?

Steev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: February 20, 2010, 07:57:22 pm »

Well gee, I feel like Urist Mc'Tard, I must of hit (u) when designating orders, and I also seemed to fail to realize that you need the trapping labor to make traps.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: February 21, 2010, 04:31:39 am »

Stone Trap spamming

Just curious... It seems that long tunnel with a stone trap in each tile is very cheap and extremely efficient to dispose of a siege, no? Why would I want to make others defenses except for fun?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: February 21, 2010, 04:45:09 am »

Just curious... It seems that long tunnel with a stone trap in each tile is very cheap and extremely efficient to dispose of a siege, no? Why would I want to make others defenses except for fun?

Fun is probably the all-overriding incentive for organizing defenses more elaborate than stone traps. At the very least you are going to want to experiment with the other basic trap type, namely weapon traps. They offer a great deal of customization, as the number (between 1 and 10), type and material of weapons used is entirely up to you.

Other than that, marksdwarves are very effective, but you are probably going to want to include melee warrior once you can make steel armor. Again, the incentive is fun, as it would be entirely feasible to rely on ranged defenders.

Also, if you're playing mods that subject you to sieges from trap-avoiding races, traps are naturally going to be obsolete. You could even modify your kobolds so that they siege you (instead of sending thieves), but a lot of players are using modded races like orcs, who are not just trap-avoidant, but very dangerous (due to being big, strong and well-equipped) in themselves.

Calibur

• Bay Watcher
  • You all still have Zoidberg.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: February 21, 2010, 08:11:15 am »

Is there anything in the game that's fairly large and "bouncy"? I need a ball for a possible pinball machine megaproject.

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: February 21, 2010, 11:57:07 am »

Is there anything in the game that's fairly large and "bouncy"?

Nobles.
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

Calibur

• Bay Watcher
  • You all still have Zoidberg.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: February 21, 2010, 11:57:59 am »

Is there anything in the game that's fairly large and "bouncy"?

Nobles.

That was my first thought. But then it'd just be a death machine. Need to play pinball with them so they ping about a bit before death...
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 181