Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204520 times)

spikedball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1815 on: February 22, 2010, 09:21:59 pm »

Lessen whose numbers? I don't really understand the question, sorry. Are you asking for a combat strategy?
I want a rather small reclaim party. I'm fine with 21 dwarf, I can understand having 49, but definitely do not want 70 - they're unskilled and have negative expendability.
IIRC, the size of reclaim party is determined by taking into account fortress wealth, fortress size, and mainly, number of active enemy units. If I still want to reclaim with less than 70 dwarves, I have to either kill all the enemies before reclaiming (tried that with a batman adventurer, killed 894 and it didn't work) or reclaim, genocide them, destroy their spawning areas, then abandon and reclaim again.
By the way, messing with the population cap didn't work. 

garfield751

• Bay Watcher
  • Aaauuugggghhhh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: February 22, 2010, 09:57:39 pm »

Lessen whose numbers? I don't really understand the question, sorry. Are you asking for a combat strategy?
I want a rather small reclaim party. I'm fine with 21 dwarf, I can understand having 49, but definitely do not want 70 - they're unskilled and have negative expendability.
IIRC, the size of reclaim party is determined by taking into account fortress wealth, fortress size, and mainly, number of active enemy units. If I still want to reclaim with less than 70 dwarves, I have to either kill all the enemies before reclaiming (tried that with a batman adventurer, killed 894 and it didn't work) or reclaim, genocide them, destroy their spawning areas, then abandon and reclaim again.
By the way, messing with the population cap didn't work. 

You could use a utility called tweek
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rick/Tweak

although im not sure if it will affect reclaims

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: February 23, 2010, 05:16:52 am »

I'm not a big fan of the automatically set reclaim party size myself. I don't know how to do anything about it. Wish I could help!
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #1818 on: February 23, 2010, 07:12:32 am »

Though that's a bit strange, it makes my life a LOT easier. Thanks!

It's not strange: they aren't placed randomly on an individual tile, it's just that what tile they are on is picked randomly.

But thanks for asking, you saved me asking the same question. I'm looking from the bottom z-layer for what is meant to be a pipe so I'll try the same technique.
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: February 23, 2010, 08:56:29 am »

[re arming a soldier on the field]

For once I want a soldier to switch to 'pick up equipment' job, and the silly dwarf stay put! Here is the situation:

I lost my woodcutter far from the fort, in zombis land... He owned the only axe and I direly need it. So I send a little rescue party... for the axe, not the corpse (it is already rotten anyway). After some light fights, they arrive at destination...

The party leader was set to fight unarmed, so don't have weapons.
I now switch the steel axe (on the ground) to 'claim'. No dump, no forbid, it is my axe!
I switch the leader to 'axedwarf'. This is validated (it does not return to wrestler...)
I wait... and wait. Nothing, the leader stays in no weapon mode, with the axe just one tile from him.

Why don't he choose to pick up, he is supposed to be an axedwarf, with a valid axe just nearby?  ???

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: February 23, 2010, 09:05:06 am »

Not sure what is happening, Vorpal, but you can try activating woodcutter on another dwarf. They'll go snatch the axe, and of course if you do not set any trees to be cut they will carry it back.
The sigs topic:

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: February 23, 2010, 09:46:09 am »

problem is that I need the dwarf to take a particular path and not a straight one (this is a game where the creatures are in cluster of 70+!) ... mmh guess I can play with traffic priority for that.
I can also see if switching the wrestler into woodcutter will let him grab the axe, then once he get it I switch him back into soldier so I can direct him where I want...

but thanks for the idea, it let me think a bit more of what I could do.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: February 23, 2010, 10:05:19 am »

Sure, glad to help. I would have suggested just unrecruiting a military dwarf, but he will drop all of his equipment if you do that.
The sigs topic:

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: February 23, 2010, 12:59:41 pm »

I have another case to fill :)

Job: craft bone armor
global order: dwarves don't gather outside refuse
the object: an antman bone outside, not on a refuse or garbage stockpile/zone
not forbidden, not dumped, 'I own it as the antman was killed by one of my soldier'

Why the crafter go get it? It is not on a stockpile. This is an outside refuse. I'm confused. Should I forbid all bones and chunks from the kills on my soldiers over all the map to prevent crafter crossing the map to get his last bone?

Sulphuratum

• Bay Watcher
  • Kitteh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: February 23, 2010, 01:36:15 pm »

little question: can a windmill be placed directly on a millstone, and do this construction work or must be a gear assembly betwenn them?
Serpentine fried up in olivine oil and limonite juice?  Sounds gneiss.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: February 23, 2010, 01:42:56 pm »

I have another case to fill :)

Job: craft bone armor
global order: dwarves don't gather outside refuse
the object: an antman bone outside, not on a refuse or garbage stockpile/zone
not forbidden, not dumped, 'I own it as the antman was killed by one of my soldier'

Why the crafter go get it? It is not on a stockpile. This is an outside refuse. I'm confused. Should I forbid all bones and chunks from the kills on my soldiers over all the map to prevent crafter crossing the map to get his last bone?

Because the job was set before you gave that order. Get the job cancelled once and it will go away.
The sigs topic:

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: February 23, 2010, 02:18:59 pm »

no, he already did 10 back and forth to fetch the bones on the field. Unless  this is part of the same order but I doubt.

So you confirm that no bones outside, if not on a stockpile, not with (D)ump and without 'dwarves collect outside refuse' enabled should be grabbed?

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: February 23, 2010, 06:00:09 pm »

If it says Dwarves Ignore Refuse From Outside, no new jobs to pick up things outside should be generated.

It is important to note that the job queue will create as many jobs as you have dwarves with the refuse-hauling labor enabled, meaning that if you have 40 dwarves with that labor you could have 40 queued jobs before you disable it. As far as I know, those 40 jobs will continue to be assigned.
The sigs topic:

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: February 23, 2010, 07:17:28 pm »

So you confirm that no bones outside, if not on a stockpile, not with (D)ump and without 'dwarves collect outside refuse' enabled should be grabbed?
I'm pretty sure that the outside refuse orders only prevent jobs from garbage dump zones and refuse stockpiles. In other words, it only prevents the collection of "refuse" from outside, not "usable materials," even if those two things happen to be one and the same such as in the case of this bone. To prevent the outside bone from being a valid target for non-dumping, non-store in stockpile tasks, you've got to forbid it or mark it for dumping.

And The Architect seems to be mistaking "the game can quene as many jobs as there are haulers for that job" with "the game will quene as many jobs as there are haulers for that job." In this case, a hauler isn't even involved (it's a bonecrafting labor), and even if it was, it is impossible to quene more than 1 job per item.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: February 23, 2010, 07:51:30 pm »

A few of my prized hammerdwarfs were gravely wounded in a recent ambush (3/5 have acquired nervous system injuries) and I'm concerned that this will permanently reduce their vitality.  I don't mind that they won't be sparring anymore, they're already capable fighters, but if these injuries will affect how they perform in battle, I would like to immediately remedy the situation. (the permanent nature of the nervous system, imho, is utter bull!@#$; I know that sometimes these sort of injuries can heal on their own, just look at stroke victims that pull through and other such cases)
We are who we are, depending on who we were.
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 181