Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 203981 times)

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1830 on: February 23, 2010, 09:57:31 pm »

Can a change of graphics packs change fps at all?
I'm using the mayday tileset if it makes a different.

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: February 23, 2010, 10:11:19 pm »

Not using a graphical set seems to increase FPS by a little bit, but I'm pretty sure your choice of graphics other than vanilla doesn't have any effect on it. If you really want to increase your FPS, there are a few options in the init file that can hange it, such as llimiting population and turning off temperature or weather.

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: February 23, 2010, 11:21:07 pm »

You won't notice an FPS difference beween tilesets on any reasonably modern video card.  They're stored in textures no matter what, even the "non graphical" tiles, and even the whole of Mayday's tiles is smaller than a single wall texture in a modern FPS.
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

garfield751

• Bay Watcher
  • Aaauuugggghhhh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: February 24, 2010, 12:56:07 am »

if i put a magma safe hatch cover over down stairs and then cast obsidion over it will the hatch cover deconstruct when i mine it out?

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: February 24, 2010, 02:37:04 am »

So you confirm that no bones outside, if not on a stockpile, not with (D)ump and without 'dwarves collect outside refuse' enabled should be grabbed?
I'm pretty sure that the outside refuse orders only prevent jobs from garbage dump zones and refuse stockpiles. In other words, it only prevents the collection of "refuse" from outside, not "usable materials," even if those two things happen to be one and the same such as in the case of this bone. To prevent the outside bone from being a valid target for non-dumping, non-store in stockpile tasks, you've got to forbid it or mark it for dumping.

And The Architect seems to be mistaking "the game can quene as many jobs as there are haulers for that job" with "the game will quene as many jobs as there are haulers for that job." In this case, a hauler isn't even involved (it's a bonecrafting labor), and even if it was, it is impossible to quene more than 1 job per item.

ok, so back to the problem, any kill on the map, generating bones, can potentially lead to one of your bone crafter go fetch the material, unless Forbidden! This is very dangerous... I'm playing on a big map with lot of critters (in pack of 70+) so it's The Wild out there!

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: February 24, 2010, 02:49:30 am »

So you confirm that no bones outside, if not on a stockpile, not with (D)ump and without 'dwarves collect outside refuse' enabled should be grabbed?
I'm pretty sure that the outside refuse orders only prevent jobs from garbage dump zones and refuse stockpiles. In other words, it only prevents the collection of "refuse" from outside, not "usable materials," even if those two things happen to be one and the same such as in the case of this bone. To prevent the outside bone from being a valid target for non-dumping, non-store in stockpile tasks, you've got to forbid it or mark it for dumping.

And The Architect seems to be mistaking "the game can quene as many jobs as there are haulers for that job" with "the game will quene as many jobs as there are haulers for that job." In this case, a hauler isn't even involved (it's a bonecrafting labor), and even if it was, it is impossible to quene more than 1 job per item.

ok, so back to the problem, any kill on the map, generating bones, can potentially lead to one of your bone crafter go fetch the material, unless Forbidden! This is very dangerous... I'm playing on a big map with lot of critters (in pack of 70+) so it's The Wild out there!

That's why drawbridges and other methods of preventing your dwarves from having full access to outside are not uncommon.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: February 24, 2010, 02:59:24 am »

That's why drawbridges and other methods of preventing your dwarves from having full access to outside are not uncommon.
It's also why forbiddance orders exist; turn on forbid other non-hunted dead (o-F-o) and other death items (o-F-t) and you won't have to deal with it yourself. It does mean that you have to reclaim enemy corpses after you kill them, but you have to do that anyway to get their gear by default, so it's not like it matters.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: February 24, 2010, 09:09:38 am »

hey, that's a good trick, I prefer this way than the other, less prone to "damn, my legendary crafter is now trying to scavenge bones nearby a troll cave"  ;D

Question: why the embark option is grayed out sometime (and yes I know it is grayed out if you have an abandoned fortress in the area, but it appears for some areas of a brand new generated world).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 12:44:30 pm by vorpal+5 »

xczxc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: February 24, 2010, 01:04:29 pm »

I have always heard stories about drowning chambers with nobles or children, and how do you get the nobles or children inside?

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: February 24, 2010, 01:12:40 pm »

I have always heard stories about drowning chambers with nobles or children, and how do you get the nobles or children inside?

Stick a lever inside the chamber. Pulling levers is one of the few things nobles and children will do. Once it's built assign it to the dwarf you want to drown, then queue up a 'Pull lever' job. For extra fun you can have it trigger the pumps (or floodgates or whatever) that will end up drowning them. Otherwise it's just bait to get them into the chamber.

xczxc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: February 24, 2010, 01:14:56 pm »

Cool, thanks!

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: February 24, 2010, 02:17:37 pm »

So what is this? A boss with minions, is it a hidden feature of sort or something else?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: February 24, 2010, 02:23:38 pm »

So what is this? A boss with minions, is it a hidden feature of sort or something else?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's a screenshot of a cave.  Probably a giant hanging out with a couple trolls or something.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: February 24, 2010, 02:35:59 pm »

Question: why the embark option is grayed out sometime (and yes I know it is grayed out if you have an abandoned fortress in the area, but it appears for some areas of a brand new generated world).
You can't embark in the middle of a mountain range, presumably because the wagons can't get there or something like that.

absynthe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: February 24, 2010, 03:30:43 pm »

Will enemies with TRAPAVOID trigger Pressure Plates? Or do they ignore them the same as they do with weapons/cages/stonefall traps?
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 181