Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204555 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1845 on: February 24, 2010, 03:44:59 pm »

Enemies with trapavoid do not trigger pressure plates.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

garfield751

• Bay Watcher
  • Aaauuugggghhhh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: February 24, 2010, 05:15:47 pm »

if i put a magma safe hatch cover over down stairs and then cast obsidion over it will the hatch cover deconstruct when i mine it out?

That^

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: February 24, 2010, 07:04:41 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:34:38 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: February 24, 2010, 09:22:54 pm »

As part of the peace terms, you are given elven sacrifices to Armok. When the greater caravans return to the forests with black stone wagons,  the elves know that more young elven men have died for your fortress.

Now build a labyrinth. But watch for elven Theseus.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: February 25, 2010, 07:28:28 am »

Hi again,

1. How can I make bridges which are only attached by the 2 extremities? Let's say I start from a cliff and want to pave my way into the air, what command should I use?

2. I'm sorry to ask that here, and I used the search button, but I can't for the life of me find again the thread dealing with 'exchange your world gens parameters' where ppl posted cool thing, like hellish world, etc. (hell, cool, haha I'm so funny)

3. I found a good spot in my world, but I would like to know where in the world I'm, I did not make a screenshot before embarking, how can I get this kind of info now?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 09:31:16 am by vorpal+5 »

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: February 25, 2010, 12:40:00 pm »

2. I'm sorry to ask that here, and I used the search button, but I can't for the life of me find again the thread dealing with 'exchange your world gens parameters' where ppl posted cool thing, like hellish world, etc. (hell, cool, haha I'm so funny)

In the DATA folder, under INIT, there is a worldgen.txt file. It holds saved  worldgen perameters. If these include specfic seed #s, then they will gen the same world every time... unless you change the raw files, in which case, adding that extra whisker to you cats will cause oceans to drain, and mountains to rise.

you can export the specific worldgen info for any world you create, right after genning it, or somewhere in legends mode (I always export data after genning). This data includes a world map, and a .txt file containing all the data you need to copy/paste into the worldgen file to add that world. That's how people get/use the seeds for cool worlds.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 12:48:16 pm by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: February 25, 2010, 02:28:02 pm »

You're probably thinking of the "Worldgen cookbook" thread.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: February 25, 2010, 02:33:31 pm »

You're probably thinking of the "Worldgen cookbook" thread.

well if vorpal wasn't looking for it, i sure was! thank you Footkerchief!
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: February 25, 2010, 02:35:44 pm »

3. I found a good spot in my world, but I would like to know where in the world I'm, I did not make a screenshot before embarking, how can I get this kind of info now?

I think all you can do is make a backup of your save game and then abandon the fort. The next step will then be going to fortress mode again and reclaiming the fort.

Pineapple Skitter

• Bay Watcher
  • Mildly bemused
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: February 25, 2010, 05:06:38 pm »

Things I *think* I know:
-Cats/dogs breed via spores
-They will NOT breed (but can give birth) while caged.

Question:
-Will they breed if in restraints?

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: February 25, 2010, 06:34:42 pm »

yes
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: February 26, 2010, 01:34:57 am »

But wait!

It gets even better.

[EDIT] except I cannot find the recent fortress posted that had a beautiful example of wild animal breeding pens. I thought it was called Matchstrikes, but the search function sez no results.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 02:24:25 am by Flaede »
[/quote]

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: February 26, 2010, 02:05:41 am »

thanks for the replies, I was indeed looking for the thread in the forum :)

What about (1) how can I make passage ways into the air, literally?

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: February 26, 2010, 02:07:14 am »

I have my farm plots set to be seasonally fertilized, but every time I look at them, there's been NO fertilizing done!  have I made a ton of potash for naught?
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

El-Ravager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: February 26, 2010, 05:39:13 am »

Is it an undergorund farm? in that case it needs to be irrigated before it can be fertilized, even if you buildt it in a sand/soil layer.
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 181