Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204569 times)

Arathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1935 on: March 03, 2010, 01:28:40 am »

It's been about 4 years since I settled here.

I have the ranting rodent's graphics pack, Dig Deeper and I added learning tags to my megabeasts to make them last longer, but that's it. Any of those cause problems?
"Rehh I don't like your 'SCIENCE'" -As I 'test' 'shock shoes'

DDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Frogatto
« Reply #1936 on: March 03, 2010, 02:06:44 am »

I have embarked on a (multi-embark-screen) island, and not had any troubles getting migrants or dwarven caravans. However, no other civs came. The fortress died due to Peaceful. ;)
Il Palazzo: "Urist, quick, grab your ax! There's a troll rampaging through the decimal conversion chambers!"
melomel: DF is like OCD candy, isn't it? existent: No, DF is like the stranger in the trench coat offering the candy.

EricStratton

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: March 03, 2010, 11:10:04 am »

Possibilities:

You have told dwarves to ignore food: {o}, {f}.
Doh, that was exactly it.  No idea how I managed to do that.  Didn't even know you *could* do that (which I probably made obvious by asking the question).  Thanks so much!

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: March 03, 2010, 11:21:30 am »

I have embarked on a (multi-embark-screen) island, and not had any troubles getting migrants or dwarven caravans. However, no other civs came. The fortress died due to Peaceful. ;)

If you embark on an 'unreachable' area, you will not get outside activity, except for that of your own civilization. For this reason the other civilizations didn't visit you.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: March 03, 2010, 12:51:59 pm »

Possibilities:

You have told dwarves to ignore food: {o}, {f}.
Doh, that was exactly it.  No idea how I managed to do that.  Didn't even know you *could* do that (which I probably made obvious by asking the question).  Thanks so much!

Sure, very glad to help.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

xczxc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: March 03, 2010, 05:44:45 pm »

I want to know more about tags, for example [CAN_LEARN], [CAN_SPEAK], etc. where do you put them? In the raw? or data?
Thanks

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: March 03, 2010, 05:51:08 pm »

In the text files in the raw/objects folder..  The data/objects folder are what the game actually reads, but they're created from the contents of raw/objects every time you start the game up.

xczxc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: March 03, 2010, 05:54:51 pm »

Ok got it, thanks!

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: March 03, 2010, 06:25:07 pm »

My woodcrafter stops working when ever I tell him to make wooden cages. If I delete the cages and add other things he will make them. When ever a cage is the next thing, he stops.
Any ideas?

And is there some problem with magna smelters making pig iron. Lots of iron smelted, and lots of flux(whole floor covered with it) but no pig iron option.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: March 03, 2010, 06:28:15 pm »

And is there some problem with magna smelters making pig iron. Lots of iron smelted, and lots of flux(whole floor covered with it) but no pig iron option.

You need coke or charcoal.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: March 03, 2010, 06:58:12 pm »

oh, I knew that in reality, but thought they where wringing the carbon out of the magma in the game or something. Thanks

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: March 04, 2010, 02:05:53 am »

I have a problem with underground river critters... How can I dispose of them? They are of the skeletal sort.

I can't close in to melee, because the upper level is just air and the lower level is full of water, right? (UR channel is made of 2 z levels, one is water one is above water)

I can't kill them with crossbows, as they are skeletals?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: March 04, 2010, 02:24:14 am »

I have a problem with underground river critters... How can I dispose of them? They are of the skeletal sort.

I can't close in to melee, because the upper level is just air and the lower level is full of water, right? (UR channel is made of 2 z levels, one is water one is above water)

I can't kill them with crossbows, as they are skeletals?

You can kill skeletons with crossbows, it's just not very easy. Basically, do your best to arrange it so that your marksdwarves use only low-value bolts, like bone, since you'll probably not be recovering them for a while or ever, and just unload many, many bolts at the skeles. Most shots will just glance off with little to no effect, but some will actually hit and break bones and eventually kill the undead freaks.

Or, as an alternative, you can dig out a little platform on the riverside next to the open level. Aquatic creatures can climb out of the water to the level above if there's a place for them to, so if you clear such a space the undead will come to where you can melee them. This is much more dangerous, however, since your melee dwarves might stupidly dodge into the river or jump in to attack; either way, they are likely to drown.

My woodcrafter stops working when ever I tell him to make wooden cages. If I delete the cages and add other things he will make them. When ever a cage is the next thing, he stops.
Any ideas?
You mean a carpenter, not a woodcrafter, right? Wood cages are made by a carpenter at a carpenter's workshop, not by woodcrafters at a craftsdwarf's shop. I don't know of anything that would make a carpenter not make cages, but if you're trying to designate them through the manager and you've only got a woodcrafter, you simply don't have the right labor.

Otherwise, no idea  ???

As Diablous said, you need charcoal or coke for pig iron, and also steel. This means that for making steel bars, magma smelters don't actually have any benefit over normal smelters; you need 2 fuel, 2 flux, and 2 iron for every 2 steel whether you're running the reactions in a magma smelter or a non-magma smelter.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: March 04, 2010, 04:13:22 am »

thank you very much Necrorebel. The 'aquatic creatures' can goes out of water is rather logical now I think of it, so I guess I'll prepare a sort of trap for the nuisances :)

edit, another question: is it possible to force a dwarf jumping one z level, without special devices like bridge and such?

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: March 04, 2010, 07:27:24 am »

thank you very much Necrorebel. The 'aquatic creatures' can goes out of water is rather logical now I think of it, so I guess I'll prepare a sort of trap for the nuisances :)

edit, another question: is it possible to force a dwarf jumping one z level, without special devices like bridge and such?
Not as far as I know. You could dig some ramps into the edge of the river though. But be prepared to lose the dwarf doing the digging, unless all the fish are already occupied with other dwarves.
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 181