Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204554 times)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1950 on: March 04, 2010, 08:14:14 am »

My woodcrafter stops working when ever I tell him to make wooden cages. If I delete the cages and add other things he will make them. When ever a cage is the next thing, he stops.
Any ideas?
You mean a carpenter, not a woodcrafter, right? Wood cages are made by a carpenter at a carpenter's workshop, not by woodcrafters at a craftsdwarf's shop. I don't know of anything that would make a carpenter not make cages, but if you're trying to designate them through the manager and you've only got a woodcrafter, you simply don't have the right labor.

Otherwise, no idea  ???
Traps are made by dwarves with the Trapping skill, no matter what workshop they are made in. You are probably giving an order for Animal Traps, not Cages.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: March 04, 2010, 12:11:12 pm »

This game is frustrating at time...  :-X

I have idle haulers and they don't want to transfer blocks from a stockpile to another. The target stockpile is supposed to take all kind of stone blocks from the first, and they don't do anything. What can possibly prevent them from doing so?

item hauling job enabled, can go outdoor, path is ok, I checked the settings of the receiving stockpile.  ???

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: March 04, 2010, 12:11:54 pm »

Thanks for the help with Cages and traps guys.
I am trying to make cages or animal traps with a carpenter at a woodworking shop.  I think in dwarf manager I must have turned off either trapping on my carpenter or something like that. I will look tonight.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: March 04, 2010, 12:12:11 pm »

Could be a problem with bins.
The sigs topic:

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: March 04, 2010, 01:04:41 pm »

I can try that (adding more spare bins)

1. Just encountered an issue... I want to dump my animals into a pit... But when I do that in batch (i.e not all selected at the same time), how can I know which ones are already in the pit and which ones are still available?

2. bonus question, should flood gate not disappear from sight when opened? I have one doing that, when I pull the lever, but two others still shown on map, so I'm very unsure on their state... How can I know btw which state they have, closed or open?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 03:56:52 pm by vorpal+5 »

DDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Frogatto
« Reply #1955 on: March 04, 2010, 04:44:14 pm »

Floodgates, doors, floorhatches: Invisible when open. If you can see it, it's closed. :)
Il Palazzo: "Urist, quick, grab your ax! There's a troll rampaging through the decimal conversion chambers!"
melomel: DF is like OCD candy, isn't it? existent: No, DF is like the stranger in the trench coat offering the candy.

Steev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: March 04, 2010, 07:43:37 pm »

So I had the fortune/misfortune of finding an underground pool whilst digging for HFS, while digging an Up/Down stair. So now I have a section of my fortress flooding with water, but luckily I managed to seal the section with a wall and get all the dorfs on the safe side, even the miner that caused all of this, but the forge and the platinum bars weren't so lucky.

Will the water eventually stop or will I have to dig a large enough area to fit all the water before I can regain that section of my fortress?

And whats the best way to find fun stuff without breaking into the clown car?
For a greater challenge, try doing that with a globin outpost. I will someday
Seriously, man. If I ever see you misspell 'goblin' again I am going to find and kill you.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: March 04, 2010, 08:04:50 pm »

A tip...  you really should avoid doing any sort of exploratory mining from the bottom up, because when digging up, you can't tell what's up there until you actually dig into it.  This can cause all sorts of problems, as you can see.

An underground pool has a finite amount of water and doesn't refill, so there IS an end to the water from it, which means you could theoretically manage to pump it all out.  An underground river does not run out of water, though.  Both of them have unfriendly water-dwelling creatures that you may have to deal with.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 08:07:40 pm by Malicus »

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: March 04, 2010, 08:07:38 pm »

As for fun stuff...  well, you shouldn't have to worry at all about breaking into it as long as you are NOT digging up.
?

The rest of what you said was good sound advice, but I don't see what you are talking about here. Fun stuff occurs at the bottom levels, so digging downward is what you would want to avoid. The bottom 5 or so levels, if you want to be fairly safe.
The sigs topic:

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: March 04, 2010, 08:09:27 pm »

Eh, I've never really actually dealt with it.  I can never keep my attention on a fort long enough to get it to a point where I'd want to deal with such stuff, so I avoid it in my embarks.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: March 04, 2010, 08:10:45 pm »

You ought to avoid giving advice and information about it, then, since it was incorrect. It's best just not to try to tell people about things you don't actually know about.
The sigs topic:

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: March 04, 2010, 08:14:25 pm »

Perhaps.  But I mostly wasn't really thinking when I was typing.  I read through the rest of this thread, though, so I'm getting out of this particular discussion now.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: March 05, 2010, 01:48:44 am »

I thought I had a virtually impenetrable fortress. Then a Kobold stole a legendary item and a gobbo made off with a baby. Here's a screenshot of the only entrance:

Under the bridge there's a dry moat. Just above the bridge there's a hill, but I destroyed all the ramps on it so it should not be possible for thieves to come in from there. Those 9 down stairs are the only entrance to the underground part of the fortress. The animals around it are caged, but I thought they'd alert me to intruders.

What am I doing wrong and how can I fix it?

Nick

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: March 05, 2010, 02:03:27 am »

you need to chain the animals. caged isn't for being a guard dog. Caged is so you can connect it to a lever and "release the hounds" on command. (and that they'll stay safe inside until you do)
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: March 05, 2010, 02:05:32 am »

I don't think caged animals alert you to intruders, though I could be wrong.  I always put my guard animals on chains/ropes.  I can't tell if there are any other problems from that screenshot.  Maybe there's some opening not in that screenshot that you missed, as well.  You could put your map on the DF Map Archive if you want people to be able to look through it more easily.
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 181