Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204019 times)

Steev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2040 on: March 10, 2010, 03:05:05 am »

Just hit 60 dwarfs and I'm wondering if the Fortress Guard does anything besides sparring and wandering around, I had a goblin ambush attack a lone woodcutter not too far from the fortress yet the guardsdwarfs did nothing but stand around while the elite wrestlers did the heavy lifting.

I haven't appointed a Captain of the Guard yet so will it matter if I'm only at 5/6 Fortress Guard?
They do justice related stuff (stuff dwarfs into justice cages) which prevent the hammerer from hammerering dwarfs when you don't make enough pig iron items just because someone said that you sshould (even though you have no pig iron...)

They spar heaps. So if you keep an eye on them, swap them out before they become legendary and replace them with a peasant to get good haulers. Or put them in your millitary and use you Fortress / Royal Guard to train your recruits.
Is there anyway to kick them out of the guard if they've hit great or higher?
For a greater challenge, try doing that with a globin outpost. I will someday
Seriously, man. If I ever see you misspell 'goblin' again I am going to find and kill you.

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #2041 on: March 10, 2010, 04:26:43 am »

Is there anyway to kick them out of the guard if they've hit great or higher?
AFAIK you can kick them out of the guard so long as they are not legendary yet. I might well be totally wrong though?
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: March 11, 2010, 04:19:55 pm »

it seems that if I have my marksdwarves with shield, only the quiver can hold bolts (25), although I believed to have read that all dorfs are able to take bolts in a hand, even with a shield? Was I mistaken?

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: March 11, 2010, 09:16:06 pm »

They CAN, but will usually only do so while practicing at an archery range. They'll only use wood or bone bolts for practicing, though.

If for some reason thier practice gets interrupted while they stillh ave bolts in hand though, they'll either drop them, or put them in thier quiver (meaning you can potentially have a single quiver holding thousands of bolts.) I'mnot sure exactly how it happens, though, as military commands are weird.

Edit: Speaking of military commands being weird, I have a couple soldiers who absolutely insist on holding thier shields and weapons in the same hand. I know this question must have been asked a million times already, but I did a seach and nothing came up. How do I get them to hold thier shields in one hand and thier weapon in the other, and not both in the same hand? No, thier hands aren't injured. I'vw also tried telling them to drop thier weapons and shields, then pick them up again (I've tried shield first, weapon first, and both at once.) They still refuse to pick up an item with each hand.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 02:25:10 am by Particleman »

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #2044 on: March 13, 2010, 11:16:15 pm »

Edit: Speaking of military commands being weird, I have a couple soldiers who absolutely insist on holding thier shields and weapons in the same hand. I know this question must have been asked a million times already, but I did a seach and nothing came up. How do I get them to hold thier shields in one hand and thier weapon in the other, and not both in the same hand? No, thier hands aren't injured. I'vw also tried telling them to drop thier weapons and shields, then pick them up again (I've tried shield first, weapon first, and both at once.) They still refuse to pick up an item with each hand.

Did you make sure that there was nothing besides the weapon and shield in either hand? Clothes get ripped off in wrestling matches, and have to be forcibly taken away.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: March 14, 2010, 05:23:45 am »

Magma isn't supposed to have pressure. Right?

So why is it, I dig out a room at the ((lowest z-level)+1), with a channel over the magma at (lowest z-level) - and by the time my *smith turns up with the stuff to build a magma forge, there is magma all over the floor?

1/7 deep to be sure, but still, he's not gunna walk through it to build a forge is he!
damn wussy dworfs, in my day....</mutter>
Garrie.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: March 14, 2010, 05:34:19 am »

depends, if there is also a magma chamber at the z+1 level, then it applies pressure to the z level and magma will exit a bit through your channel.

M.....F
MMMM

side view... the up left M is some magma at z+1, F is your furnace/channel.

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: March 14, 2010, 05:44:01 am »

depends, if there is also a magma chamber at the z+1 level, then it applies pressure to the z level and magma will exit a bit through your channel.

I know if I did the same thing with a bunch of water I'd be screwed. But I thought "magma doesn't have pressure". Or is that just a bad rumour?

My magma pipe is about 20 z-levels deep, we are at the bottom 2 z-levels of the map. So there is roughly 18 z-levels of magma above me, and an "infinate" number below me, but only one below me that I can get to.
Garrie.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: March 14, 2010, 06:26:14 am »

I don't think it's pressure.  Instead, I'm pretty sure that that is the way the magma pipe refills itself.  You should probably build your magma buildings a bit further away from the magma pipe (and make sure you wall off the area where the magma has started "bubbling up" through the hole, so the magma doesn't potentially get all over your NEW magma forges).

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: March 14, 2010, 09:50:36 am »

Yeah, like Malicus is saying.
There's an area in which the pipe tries to refill itself by spawning magma spears, and that area seems to extend a bit into what's initially solid rock. 
I bet you'll keep getting that loose magma even if you build a floor over the channel.  So extend the channel and build some wall.

Magma *definitely* doesn't have pressure, except when a screw pump is involved.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: March 14, 2010, 04:03:34 pm »

Will kobolds steal the random forbidden +Goblin bone bolt+ sitting on the map from hunting?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2051 on: March 14, 2010, 04:09:24 pm »

Will kobolds steal the random forbidden +Goblin bone bolt+ sitting on the map from hunting?
Yes, and you will see a report of the horrible crime in your messages, and your dwarves will then carve masterwork engravings of the infamous master theft of the forbidden +Goblin bone bolt+ from your fortress.  And then the kobolds, emboldened by getting away with such a grand crime, will send ambush groups to attack your fortress.  I recommend preemptively flooding the world with magma.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: March 14, 2010, 04:20:29 pm »

Speaking of theft, I modded a couple of civs based on the kobold raws (made new entities using mostly kobold data, but modified in a way that they'd siege me ASAP). Every time a modified sieger would escape, I'd be seeing engravings of them stealing the very equipment they came with.

Now, does anyone know what tag is responsible for this? I already removed [item_thief] (otherwise, they wouldn't be sieging as early as they do), so that can't be it.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: March 14, 2010, 10:26:59 pm »

My human liason has an accident with a giant rat a few years back. Since then the humans send an army to besiege me every year instead of a caravan. So I got two questions:

1) Will the humans ever send me another caravan? I need wood to make (several hundred) beds, and that'll take a lot longer if I have to rely on the elves.

2) Right now their siege is very boring. I locked my sally port, raised the drawbridge, and now the humies are just milling around outside. How soon will they give up?

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: March 15, 2010, 12:38:30 am »

As often happens, I forget something obtuse that I figured out or was told before.
I have cages. (on an animal stockpile)
I have kittens. 3 running arround, only one has face latched a dwarf.
How do I get the kittens in the cages before they face latch the dwarves?
I have tried status, animals(kill order only)
I have tried "Qing" the cage.
I have tried the unit - kitten screen.
ARGH
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 181