Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204596 times)

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2085 on: March 17, 2010, 11:11:29 am »

Are you reclaiming?
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: March 17, 2010, 11:42:26 am »

I have dozens of prisoners I want to kill in my arena. Only problem is they're armed, one of them is a hammer lord, and a half-dozen others have bows. Fair fights are no fun. So I put all the cages in the arena area and designated everything for dumping with d-b-d like the Wiki said, and created several dump sites for the weapons. But nothing is being dumped. There are not even any "dump item" jobs on the list. Almost all my dwarves have refuse-hauling enabled, and they aren't particularly busy otherwise, so it's probably not that.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Nick

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: March 17, 2010, 11:53:39 am »

Undesignate the cages themselves, make sure you have a dump Zone set (i), and make sure you have some idle dwarves.

Just off the top of my head.

Also, you can pit them into magma. Just a thought. Magma makes everything better...
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

kralmir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: March 17, 2010, 12:14:51 pm »

dont forget to active the zone as a garbage dump(press g) after you made one(press i)

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: March 17, 2010, 12:19:07 pm »

The dump is active and several stones were just put there. The other 18-odd basalt I set to dump each generated a job on the job list.

I tried un-dumping the cages, I'll report back if that works.

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: March 17, 2010, 12:28:47 pm »

"did you discover it when you dug into it and got a message for it, or did you use a program like reveal.exe to locate the magma? or was it visible on the surface when you started?"

reveal...he said with a blush

kralmir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: March 17, 2010, 02:38:40 pm »

im afraid i got bad news for you dfpongo, see magma buildings only become available when you discover them

however there is some tool that sets some of the magma tiles as hidden or something like that allowing you to discover it, il try and see if i can find it for you

edit: i think this would help you if you can figure out how to use it:P

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Utility:For_Each_Tile

check at the hide radious topic, it says something about hiding magma so you can rediscover it, read the rest of the page to figure out how it works, else just make a new topic here and ask others how to do it
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 02:45:55 pm by kralmir »

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: March 17, 2010, 05:17:14 pm »

THE GODS ARE ANGRY
So go back to the first save, don't reveal and start over again I guess.

Thats great help though. Thanks.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: March 17, 2010, 05:55:04 pm »

I don't understand the concept of a pump stack, the wiki is a bit confusing about it.

Could someone explain it a bit please?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: March 17, 2010, 06:29:50 pm »

I don't understand the concept of a pump stack, the wiki is a bit confusing about it.

Could someone explain it a bit please?

A pump is made of two tiles. The one passable tile is where your pump operator stands, and the other impassable tile is what keeps the pumped liquid from flowing back. To transport a liquid more than one level up, you sort of stack pumps, as the name suggests; each higher pump has its passable tile - i.e. the one that pumps from below - over the impassable tile of the lower pump.

Sorry if this might turn out no more clear than the wiki's description.

EDIT: My description also isn't precise enough, I'm afraid.

Take the above schematic from the wiki. To make a basic stack of two pumps, you'd have to build another pump with its passable tile (illustrated here by that wheel used for operating the pump) orthogonally to the above two tiles of water.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 06:33:33 pm by assimilateur »

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: March 18, 2010, 12:45:56 am »

Anything with the word "orthogonal" in it is begging to be simplified.

To make a pump stack first you build a pump over the water source. You use that to fill a small pool. Then you build another pump above that pool, which fills a second pool. Repeat.

In theory you could do this in any pattern, as long as the pools were full and you had enough pumps to keep them that way. But the pump stack's easy to plan for, guaranteed to not accidentally drown your entire fortress, and has no interesting flow issues.

Nick

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: March 18, 2010, 01:07:09 am »

The diagram has a nicely concealed space-eliminating foreshortening going on there. Its x/z dimensions are all screwed up right behind the pump stack. It is thus less helpful than confusing.

In simpler terms: the 3-dimensional grid is broken, with a sort of Escher effect.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: March 18, 2010, 04:28:08 am »

Right so here is a side view of a pump stack.  # is a grate or empty space, %% is a pump, _ is a floor surrounded by walls on all sides except the one with the pump.  the ~ at the bottom is water and [][] are walls (or just floors for the pump to sit on). 

#%%_
_%%#
#%%_
~[][][]

The bottom pump (A) pumps from west to east, when activated, it pulls water from the space west and below it through the grate and outputs it to the right of the pump.  The next pumps (B) from east to west, it pulls water from pump (A)'s output and shoves it into the space to the west of it.  (C) pulls from that and dumps it out on the floor to the east and so on. 

#%%_
_%%#
#%%_
~[][][]

Important things to remember: A pump that pulls from west needs open space or a grate (etc?) in the tile west of it, and liquid immediately below the grate, it cant pull through floors, and it cant pull water thats just sitting on the same level as the pump.  Both tiles of the pump need to sit on floor of some sort.  Power is input into the side of the pump that it pulls from.  Red would be powered by running an axle or a dwarf into the left %.  Pumps dont really pump liquid they teleport it.  This means magma can be pumped without magma safe materials, as long as magma doesn't actually get splashed on the "pumps from" side.  Wood can actually be used to pump magma if certain precautions are taken, but thats actually an ongoing area of research. 
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 04:43:46 am by o_O[WTFace] »
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

kralmir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: March 18, 2010, 07:23:58 am »

is there any way to tell your dwarves to collect the corpses of wild animals and enemies from outside but to not collect dead vermin outside ?

and  no manually setting the vermins to forbid is not a option, im playing a 7x7 map where bats and stuff seem to die randomly all over the map, even on the opposite side of me
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 07:28:14 am by kralmir »

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: March 18, 2010, 08:55:24 am »

Anything with the word "orthogonal" in it is begging to be simplified.

To make a pump stack first you build a pump over the water source. You use that to fill a small pool. Then you build another pump above that pool, which fills a second pool. Repeat.

Yeah, your description is much better, as in, simpler than mine. I don't, however, see a problem with words like orthogonal. I'm aware of the fact that one might not know what that means, but 10 seconds with a dictionary will sort that out.

is there any way to tell your dwarves to collect the corpses of wild animals and enemies from outside but to not collect dead vermin outside ?

If by collect you mean bring to a stockpile, then you can set up your refuse stockpiles so that they don't accept vermin remains. Go to your stockpiles' settings and while leaving remains in the item types section tagged, simply deselect things like bats or rats in the corpses section.

Of course that's gonna be a lot of clicks, so if you're going to make several such stockpiles, it's preferable to set up one custom stockpile and designate the news one after its pattern.

One way of avoiding that problem altogether is not accepting any corpses at your refuse stockpiles at all. Unless you're doing something with them I'm unaware is even possible, you don't need to haul in corpses of goblins anyway. You can instead let them rot in the open and then gather their bones and skulls.

I just realized that if you've got cats (and thus, vermin corpses strewn about your fortress, then you're going to need refuse stockpiles or garbage dumps for remains anyway. Which would make the entirety of my above advice useless. If that's the case, then I hope someone here comes up with something better.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 09:10:28 am by assimilateur »
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 181