Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204518 times)

kralmir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2100 on: March 18, 2010, 09:14:03 am »

ignore this, remains of a discussion in the wrong location
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 10:10:01 am by kralmir »

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: March 18, 2010, 09:16:39 am »

I'm sorry, but I don't think you can compare using technical terminology - if words like orthogonal might even be considered that, as I'd think most people would learn that at high school - with randomly using words from a completely different language.

kralmir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: March 18, 2010, 09:46:25 am »

ignore this, remains of a discussion in the wrong location
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 10:09:30 am by kralmir »

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: March 18, 2010, 10:04:01 am »

and if you actually think that everyone has english as theyr primary language

Believe it or not, but that's not what I thought. Hell, English isn't my native language either.

most people will know words like orthogonal

That, however, I did assume. I don't use unclear language on purpose, and if I think some word would have to be Googled by most people, I wouldn't have used it.

I recommend using private messages if you want to discuss my use of language or even my perceived arrogance any further. Continuing like this, we can expect complaints about us supposedly fighting (as I see it, we're merely having a level-headed discussion) and derailing this thread (which, I admit, would be a valid complaint).

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: March 18, 2010, 10:14:57 am »

Assimilateur used "orthogonal" to explain that pump stacks can't draw from diagonally downwards, they have to drop from straight down or "orthogonally" down.  No one else explained this condition, and "orthogonally" is a clear way to do it.

I like this image for pump stacks, though it's also from the wiki:

Here's how I made pump stacks:
1) Build a tall stairway
2) Designate the pumps directly on top of each other, next to the stairway so dwarves can access them.
3) Provide power to any of the pump and they'll distribute it (more pumps need more power).

That's right, no walls necessary.  There's very little spillage, since the pumps work so fast.

Edit: Used the wrong link and didn't preview, duh.  Thanks assimilateur!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 10:52:22 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: March 18, 2010, 10:26:20 am »

Check your url, as I'm not seeing that image even after refreshing several times.

That said, seeing how you say it's a good illustration of pump stack on the wiki, I can probably guess which image you meant.

In the meantime, I need to ask the following:
1. Do hippos spawn in tropical brooks and streams, or only in rivers? I'm guessing it's the latter, since I can't seem to get any large fish in brooks either.
2. From your experience, if you only get 1 or 2 tiles of a given biome, how likely are you to see any significant number of animals spawn there?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 10:33:00 am by assimilateur »

shome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: March 18, 2010, 08:07:29 pm »

1. Do hippos spawn in tropical brooks and streams, or only in rivers? I'm guessing it's the latter, since I can't seem to get any large fish in brooks either.
IIRC brooks don'tcount as biomes, so you shouldn't get things spawning from them.

Quote from: Capntastic
It's post-modern art. It's useless, it looks weird, but it's worth a lot of money.
Plus, with an elephant, you really only need to caulk a couple places. They start out pretty watertight.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: March 18, 2010, 08:10:03 pm »

IIRC brooks don'tcount as biomes, so you shouldn't get things spawning from them.

That's what I thought (as I said, there's never any large fish in them), and I'm having one hell of a time finding rivers larger than a brook.

I guess what I should be asking now is how to generate worlds with more rivers and shit, but I'm close to giving up on getting the perfect world. Hell, I've been generating worlds and modding the game for a couple of weeks now without playing, enough is enough.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: March 19, 2010, 10:22:15 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 12:46:23 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: March 19, 2010, 12:31:54 pm »

I'm sorry, but I don't think you can compare using technical terminology - if words like orthogonal might even be considered that, as I'd think most people would learn that at high school - with randomly using words from a completely different language.
It's actually fairly obscure. The only reason I know it is that I watch Survivor, the castaways were letting an architect build their shelter, and she used it. It took her three tries to explain that she wanted a right angle.

I'm sorry if I was a bit abrupt in my simplification. I try to be a nice guy, but I almost always fail.  :-\

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: March 19, 2010, 01:14:51 pm »

I'm sorry if I was a bit abrupt in my simplification. I try to be a nice guy, but I almost always fail.  :-\

No problem, mate.

When HFS is generated, is it the same kind of clowns? Like, if you embark on a site, reveal to check it and find out it's a kind you don't want, can you quit without saving and re-embark to see if it's changed?

I think (I can't stress that enough: I'm not sure if I remember it correctly) I've seen the clown species change on the same embark, though not after simply re-embarking. What I did was regenerate the world with the same world seed and other parameters (leaving the history seed random, as that might conceivably give you the same clowns all over again).

You probably know how to regenerate the same world, but just in case, I'll explain again (plus it might help someone else browsing this thread): with your fortress loaded, press ESC, go to export local image and press 'e'. That will provide you with several files, one of which will be called <fortressname>-param or something. You copy and past its whole contents into your \init\world_gen.txt file.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: March 19, 2010, 04:19:48 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 12:46:52 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: March 19, 2010, 06:49:58 pm »

This is a super basic question but I couldn't find an answer when I searched for it.

Can dwarves dig up?
By which I mean, can a dwarf starting underground make a 'down staircase' on the tile on the z-level above them?
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: March 19, 2010, 06:51:21 pm »

This is a super basic question but I couldn't find an answer when I searched for it.

Can dwarves dig up?
By which I mean, can a dwarf starting underground make a 'down staircase' on the tile on the z-level above them?
If there is an up staircase under the designated down, then yeah, I think so.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: March 19, 2010, 06:55:28 pm »

Can dwarves dig up?
If there is an up staircase under the designated down, then yeah, I think so.

Yep, this is right.
If there isn't an up staircase, like if you want to tunnel up out of a dug room, you'll need to "construct" one, then dig a down staircase above it.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 181