Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204581 times)

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2160 on: March 21, 2010, 01:27:13 pm »

Having lost my embark crew to a single fireman, if I run into one again the only thing I can see to do with embark only dwarves is to trap him. Will he still fire his fireballs out of a cage? He can bust down doors but not a cage right? Will weapon traps kill him? Or will he bust them down too?

yinyang107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: March 21, 2010, 03:46:59 pm »

Dunno about firemen, but I'm pretty sure dragons can breathe fire from inside a cage, so it's probably a similar situation.

My own question: does giving a room a high ceiling via channeling or ramps increase its quality?
There's something to be said about a game where people are having a straight-faced discussion about smelting fish and the logistical problems that come with that.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: March 21, 2010, 04:09:19 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 12:56:12 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: March 21, 2010, 04:15:12 pm »

I can't speak from experience, but I'd be very surprised if creatures can breath fire from in a cage.  It stops cats from adopting, and they aren't affected by heat (dump iron cages containing goblins into magma).  They won't even get pregnant, though they will give birth.  It's a kind of stasis in many ways.  So I highly doubt they can breathe out of the cage.

Although if they can, that's potentially a lot of fun!

My own question: does giving a room a high ceiling via channeling or ramps increase its quality?

No, only the floors and walls are counted, and rooms can't go up Z-levels.  High ceilings can look great in visualizers though (:
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

yinyang107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: March 21, 2010, 04:19:32 pm »

Hmm. I'm confused now. I have a dragon in a cage, and when I tried to move him my animal trainer was set on fire.

Wait a sec - it's in a cage trap. Does that make a difference?
There's something to be said about a game where people are having a straight-faced discussion about smelting fish and the logistical problems that come with that.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: March 21, 2010, 04:26:30 pm »

Hmm. I'm confused now. I have a dragon in a cage, and when I tried to move him my animal trainer was set on fire.

Wait a sec - it's in a cage trap. Does that make a difference?

Did you try to move your dragon from its current cage to another? Transferring wild animals between cages is liable to end in them escaping.

yinyang107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: March 21, 2010, 05:26:52 pm »

Yeah, I did. I didn't think it escaped, but maybe it was just immediately trapped in another trap. After all, there were like ten in the area. Should I build its current cage next to the one I wanna move it to, then move it?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: March 21, 2010, 05:30:36 pm »

Yeah, I did. I didn't think it escaped, but maybe it was just immediately trapped in another trap. After all, there were like ten in the area.

That's most likely what happened, unless we're both missing something here.

Should I build its current cage next to the one I wanna move it to, then move it?

Yes, do it like that. I'm not sure if that's 100% safe, but it's probably as close as you can get.

EDIT: Instead, do it as described by The Architect.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 07:35:57 pm by assimilateur »

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: March 21, 2010, 07:14:11 pm »

You can do better than that. Build the cage it's in down a blind alley, and build a cage trap using the new cage at the blind alley's exit. Be sure to do this where dwarves won't walk into the line of sight and get fried. Now, install a lever on the first cage and RELEASE THE KRAKEN! ahem, Pull The Lever.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

lynd

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: March 22, 2010, 03:27:32 am »

Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I'm quite new, but DF has claimed a few days of my life already (most of them in an "oh shi-it's dark already and I was supposed to play just a little in the morning" sense ;) ).

But now all my dwarfs stopped hauling items. Workshops are full, tried creating new stockpiles (both custom and bars/blocks/gems etc), tried deleting old ones... Still nothing. Ofc all hauling jobs are enabled, all other disabled, and the smug little bastards just sit there with that "No job" face  :-\

Orders menu (o) says gather on everything, I don't have any hidden rocks blocking the place, nothing is forbidden (as far as I know... didn't use it yet), there is a clear path between items and destination.

And it only happens to items: whenever I create a food or rock stockpile, suddenly all of them go all hi-ho about hauling everything they can. But if I make something for items (like bars or shells or finished goods) then at most one will come to put an empty bin, and it's back to loafing at the dining hall  :-\

Okay, what did I miss? Or did my using Dwarf Therapist mix something up?

lynd

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: March 22, 2010, 07:10:23 am »

Got it. Item hauling didn't work because my job queue (so that's what it is!;)) was blocked with hauling jobs in inaccessible areas, sigh...
After that cleaning up my fort took quite a while ;)

Torpid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: March 22, 2010, 05:48:06 pm »

So I think I set up too many cage traps in my current fort, because I have more goblins than I know what to do with. Currently I've been using them in an arena to do some live training for my wrestling squads, but I can't seem to disarm them. I did the mass designate dump with d -> b -> d and then look and each cage and press d to not dump the cage itself, just like the wiki said, but my dwarves don't seem to be doing anything to the cages, because when I kill the goblins they leave all kinds of weapons and clothes behind. Am I missing something?

Also, how do you go about building and using a big z-level drop to kill prisoners? I'm looking for a more efficient way of processing these goblins, setting up the arena doesn't kill them fast enough due to the long setup time for my mechanics.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: March 22, 2010, 05:56:44 pm »

So I think I set up too many cage traps in my current fort, because I have more goblins than I know what to do with. Currently I've been using them in an arena to do some live training for my wrestling squads, but I can't seem to disarm them. I did the mass designate dump with d -> b -> d and then look and each cage and press d to not dump the cage itself, just like the wiki said, but my dwarves don't seem to be doing anything to the cages, because when I kill the goblins they leave all kinds of weapons and clothes behind. Am I missing something?

Have you created a garbage dump zone?  Press 'i', draw a zone somewhere, then press 'g' to turn it to a garbage dump zone.  Dwarves will only dump items to such a zone, and they won't dump items at all if there is not a garbage dump zone.

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: March 22, 2010, 06:52:46 pm »

I trained up my wrestlers to uber champion wrestlers. Then I built a nice range beside their baracks and gave them chain and steel crossbows, but they will not train in them. Do they get to a certain level and then refuse to re arm?

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: March 22, 2010, 10:02:51 pm »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:Sparring#Target_Practice
The basics
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Marksman#Known_issues
Likely causes for your problem

I hope you don't feel shortchanged, but by directing you to an easily available and easily found prewritten answer, a question-answerer saves themselves many hours over a period of months.

The wiki isn't perfect, but in this case as in most others it can provide an extremely detailed explanation of all possible marksman problems when properly used.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 181