Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204515 times)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2175 on: March 22, 2010, 11:01:38 pm »

What does manufacturing obsidian on living creatures do?

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: March 22, 2010, 11:42:42 pm »

from what I've heard, firstly it depends on what you drop on their heads first.  If it's water and then magma, their worldly possessions and corpses are neatly preserved in a block of obsidian.  If it's magma first, then only their magma-proof things are preserved in the resulting block.
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: March 23, 2010, 01:45:47 am »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:Sparring#Target_Practice
The basics
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Marksman#Known_issues
Likely causes for your problem

I hope you don't feel shortchanged, but by directing you to an easily available and easily found prewritten answer, a question-answerer saves themselves many hours over a period of months.

The wiki isn't perfect, but in this case as in most others it can provide an extremely detailed explanation of all possible marksman problems when properly used.

I do appreciate it. And I do look at the wiki a great deal.
All I can think of is that changing weapons in the military menu didn't drop the weapons they had. Of course, I thought it was to do with being legendary champions and looked there.
I am sure you appreciate that the game usually doesn't tell you why something is not happening, and often doesn't really tell you how to accomplish something, an obscure design and bugs on top, makes for some interesting problem solving.

I just recruited two miners as crossbowmen, and all my stone and wood bolts and my existing range worked fine for them. Now I have 1/5 of my 25 adult dwarves under arms, and it is going ok.

kendo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: March 23, 2010, 10:07:43 am »

Do dwarfs get bored? Do they get bad thoughts from doing nothing?

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: March 23, 2010, 10:12:19 am »

THey certainly get good thoughts from being busy. Bored = parties in my fortress.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: March 23, 2010, 01:52:48 pm »

Do dwarfs get bored? Do they get bad thoughts from doing nothing?

Not that I know of.... If they don't have anything to do they'll hang out at a meeting area (or thier rooms, if there are no meeting areas) and talk to each other which is generally bad (they'll make friends, and the death of a friend can very easily lead to a tantrum. When you've got a dozen dwarves tantruming at once...)

So, yeah, it's best to keep thembusy as much as you can. Preferably this would involve traning them in a useful skill, but there are only so many useful skill, so in most forts, by default, they become seige or pump operators.

If nothing else, you can have them shuffle the stockpiles (set food stockpile 1 to take from stockpile 2, set 2 to take from 3, and set 3 to take from 1. They'll carry stuff back and forth endlessly) just to keep them busy.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2181 on: March 23, 2010, 03:09:12 pm »

Dwarves can eventually become upset at "the lack of work last season".  This can lead to them attending meetings with your mayor, who will then mandate jobs of a specific type to be done.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

kendo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: March 23, 2010, 05:42:35 pm »

ok, thanks for the replies

yinyang107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: March 23, 2010, 06:43:58 pm »

If I drain a pool with fish in it, what happens to the fish? I'm talking fish I can actually see swimming around.
There's something to be said about a game where people are having a straight-faced discussion about smelting fish and the logistical problems that come with that.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2184 on: March 23, 2010, 07:01:43 pm »

If I drain a pool with fish in it, what happens to the fish? I'm talking fish I can actually see swimming around.
Air-drown and die, although vermin-size fish might teleport out before the water goes away.  Actual creature fish that can't teleport will die.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: March 23, 2010, 08:47:53 pm »

Dwarves can eventually become upset at "the lack of work last season".  This can lead to them attending meetings with your mayor, who will then mandate jobs of a specific type to be done.

Last time I've read about this, it was claimed this was only an economic feature. Do you know whether this will happen with a disabled economy? I don't think I've ever seen dwarves complain about a lack of work, but then again I usually have a shortage of manpower.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: March 24, 2010, 12:54:32 am »

What does "preserved" mean in the context of obsidian freezing? Would that mean something like:
This is a block of obsidian.
In the block is an elf. The elf is screaming.

Or something?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: March 24, 2010, 01:41:46 am »

What does "preserved" mean in the context of obsidian freezing? Would that mean something like:
This is a block of obsidian.
In the block is an elf. The elf is screaming.

Or something?

no. as in if you mine out the block you discover the stuff.
bones, clothes, weapons, etc.

it's fun (also often Fun) when used with eternally freezing water on glaciers to get one frozenwater block containing 100s of "ice" stones.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

sjaakwortel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: March 24, 2010, 02:40:22 pm »

im playing dig deeper since my first fort. But since when do orc's die in cages. i know goblins survive a bit longer. (no live target practice for my marksdwarves.) Never mind i killed em with dwarf companion (ye i know its cheating)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 03:08:36 pm by sjaakwortel »
Quote from: Greep on May 08, 2010, 07:55:20 pm
do dwarves move any slower when using the stairs?
Compared to falling? Yes.

Poot

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:haunting quacks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: March 25, 2010, 06:44:44 am »

Oh hey again guys. Last thread I asked about making my dwarves cannibals; I was told to edit them to EAT_SAPIANT_OTHER and EAT_SAPIANT_KILL, but still I don't see the little guys roasting goblins or other dwarves. What's the deal?
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 181